Hardship waiver

J1 Hardship Waiver 2021-2022 Timeline

1,996 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, ErinK said:

Waiting on DoS since Feb 2022. Is anyone else waiting that long? I know a few people were waiting from 2021. Are those cases decided on? 

I've been waiting on DoS since April 2022. May I ask if your case is based on hardship to a USC spouse or child? (mine is spouse). It appears most of the favorable decisions I have seen recently (especially the timely ones) have been based on hardship to USC children. I would love if anyone could disprove this btw! 

5 minutes ago, Timotheus_X said:

I've been waiting on DoS since April 2022. May I ask if your case is based on hardship to a USC spouse or child? (mine is spouse). It appears most of the favorable decisions I have seen recently (especially the timely ones) have been based on hardship to USC children. I would love if anyone could disprove this btw! 

It can be a US citizen spouse. But it has to be an exceptional hardship vs plain discomfort. 

Filed: Other Country: Angola
Timeline
On 8/3/2023 at 11:45 AM, blooper1899 said:

The i-612 and 613 forms are with DOS since last June. I keep checking, every single day, and nothings. It's maddening that there is absolutely no accountability for them! It seemed like things kind of sped up around March/April but are at a lull again. 

Maybe they are all on vacation lol! I have a feeling they will try to process as many as they can in September since it's the end month of a fiscal year. I know for a fact  that gov agencies rush more during this specific month since all gov agencies are slowest!! 

Timeline
On 8/6/2023 at 11:39 PM, PeterW said:

Thanks for your answer. For my case, it is 15 months since DOS received my I-612/613.

So you got favorable correct? That's amazing!! Congrats then! What was the basis of your hardship? 

10 hours ago, Sabina Bart said:

Maybe they are all on vacation lol! I have a feeling they will try to process as many as they can in September since it's the end month of a fiscal year. I know for a fact  that gov agencies rush more during this specific month since all gov agencies are slowest!! 

I was thinking the same way last year, but all hopes went into vain, and now it's the end of the next fiscal year. 

I have been with DOS since Mar 2022 and see at least 4-5 more months ahead. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Hardship_waiver said:

That guy first submitted hardship, but it didn't go beyond USCIS, so he filed No Objection and as he had government funding, he got denied. 

Wait USCIS approved his hardship and they denied it? Sometimes it might relate to the country I heard if you signed something with your country they will make it impossible for you to get waiver and you have to go back. Like sort of a promise to come back. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Hardship_waiver said:

Is this the date USCIS forwarded your case or the date being shown on the DOS portal? It looks like DOS only considers their portal date as the receipt date. 

I would now all who waited over a year expedite it, or another idea all of you who have been waiting longer put a case together and file it with a lawyer to speed up the process. Mandamus whatever its called, I would have done it.  But it's up to you guys to decide what you want to do. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.