Hardship waiver

J1 Hardship Waiver 2021-2022 Timeline

1,976 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, DrIdaddoq said:

I have. And it took them a while, but eventually updated my case with "Others" received. I sent it by email to their email

Did adding new documents to your file push back the dates? You mentioned you have been waiting since sept 2021, is this when DOS received I-612 or the other new documents were added?

3 hours ago, DrIdaddoq said:

I have. And it took them a while, but eventually updated my case with "Others" received. I sent it by email to their email

I'm trying to decide if I should supplement or not. I have new information which adds another layer of hardship to my case but my lawyer says trying to supplement can delay the case and also DoS is not in charge of determining the hardship. Another lawyer told me i should absolutely give them the new information. It's so confusing  

4 hours ago, ErinK said:

You have to spend two years in the country where you got the statement of need from. Your home country in most cases. Also the fact that you spend a yea in your home country makes it hard to argue hardship. The easiest route is to spend another year there so that if your hardship case gets rejected you at least have at least already done your two years. 

I understand. My frustration is that since April 2022 the DOS issued a favorable recommendation on my case, but USCIS has yet to approve the waiver, which is very weird given typical processing times where, after a FR, you are supposed to receive the final approval letter 2-4 weeks later, but 11 months and counting. I have tried multiple times to contact USCIS, via online inquiries, Ombudsman's office, and nothing. The only answer I get is that my case is still pending.

25 minutes ago, Hardship612 said:

I understand. My frustration is that since April 2022 the DOS issued a favorable recommendation on my case, but USCIS has yet to approve the waiver, which is very weird given typical processing times where, after a FR, you are supposed to receive the final approval letter 2-4 weeks later, but 11 months and counting. I have tried multiple times to contact USCIS, via online inquiries, Ombudsman's office, and nothing. The only answer I get is that my case is still pending.

Sorry if this may have been answered already before…. But, did you go back to your home country? Thanks.

2 hours ago, Hardship612 said:

omg that's awful! Does USCIS at least confirm that they received DoS's recommendation? 

Edited by ErinK

14 hours ago, Resonance20 said:

With so many applicants having been affected, has anyone thought of filing a joint class action lawsuit against the DOS to at least ensure their decisions are processed sooner

Are you, SNR06 and a regular member is the same person who incessantly asking people to file lawsuit? Please file a lawsuit yourself and let us know.

On 3/3/2023 at 9:19 PM, ErinK said:

omg that's awful! Does USCIS at least confirm that they received DoS's recommendation? 

Working on that. I just checked with a USCIS representative via Emma chat tool and she confirmed that she could not see any updates applied to my case from the DOS. Do you or anyone in the group know the most effective way to connect to DOS to ask them to re-send the FR notice?

21 hours ago, Hardship612 said:

Working on that. I just checked with a USCIS representative via Emma chat tool and she confirmed that she could not see any updates applied to my case from the DOS. Do you or anyone in the group know the most effective way to connect to DOS to ask them to re-send the FR notice?

The best way is to email them. 212ewaiver

On 3/3/2023 at 7:22 PM, ErinK said:

I'm trying to decide if I should supplement or not. I have new information which adds another layer of hardship to my case but my lawyer says trying to supplement can delay the case and also DoS is not in charge of determining the hardship. Another lawyer told me i should absolutely give them the new information. It's so confusing  

No one knows if the timer "resets". Bottom line no one truly knows what happens behind the DoS closed doors. 

4 hours ago, Waiver 2021 said:

I have never hated the word (Pending) so much in my life until the this nightmare waiver case. I have been looking at this word every day for the last two years and just started my third one. 

I am so sorry to read that, if you don't mind answering is it two years at DOS only? or the whole process?

I pray to all of us to see good news very soon 

14 hours ago, Waiver 2021 said:

I have never hated the word (Pending) so much in my life until the this nightmare waiver case. I have been looking at this word every day for the last two years and just started my third one. 

Me too. I hate PENDING. It’s my life now. I have few more months for my J1 to end. Been waiting for 17+ months now at DoS alone. Every single day. Every. Single. Day. I keep checking with stupid hope that the status changed. It’s almost mental. 

11 hours ago, ssssssaa said:

I am so sorry to read that, if you don't mind answering is it two years at DOS only? or the whole process?

I pray to all of us to see good news very soon 

16 months at the DOS and more than two years for the whole process. 

Edited by Waiver 2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.