Hardship waiver

J1 Hardship Waiver 2021-2022 Timeline

1,996 posts in this topic

On 6/7/2022 at 7:06 PM, AnasMD said:

may I know what kind of circumstances may factor in?

also, is it possible to submit the AOS application while waiting for the letter? Or do we need to have it in hand first?

Thank you 

For AOS application, DOS FR letter is enough. If you can't wait, screenshot of DOS FR will suffice. You can see that on item 24.c of AOS application. 

On 6/7/2022 at 6:33 PM, AnasMD said:

Any idea how long does it typically take between favorable recommendation on DOS website and receiving the official waiver approval letter from USCIS by mail? (my waiver is still pending but I’m trying to know what to expect in regards to the processing time after approval).

Typically, it takes 2 weeks to 1 month. But I learned a few of the applicants reported that they waited for a longer period to get the letter! 

I submitted 2 congressional inquiries (weeks apart). The 1st one was instantly denied. For the 2nd one, I received a different response that included sentences like “they’re working to process my application” and “we assure you that this request will be processed as soon as possible”. Should I hang any hopes on that? Again, my story is that I have only till 9/30 to do AOS because it’s a DV based GC.

Thank you 

23 hours ago, AnasMD said:

I submitted 2 congressional inquiries (weeks apart). The 1st one was instantly denied. For the 2nd one, I received a different response that included sentences like “they’re working to process my application” and “we assure you that this request will be processed as soon as possible”. Should I hang any hopes on that? Again, my story is that I have only till 9/30 to do AOS because it’s a DV based GC.

Thank you 

I think its a good sign. 

On 6/18/2022 at 10:38 AM, AnasMD said:

Thank you 

Did your congressperson deny your asking for support or DOS deny your congressperson's inquiry?

14 hours ago, Hardship LM said:

c32592df-9b5d-445c-894a-3fba12dd2006.thumb.jpg.04ddfd549f565c9f6b1d4e16c543d557.jpgHello,  just sharing my timeline. I'm still waiting and it's been more than 4 months with DOS.  Last year a friend of mine got his answer in less than 4 months.  Please share your timeline just so we can support each other.  Thank you all for sharing. 

My J-1 Hardship timeline: 

Submitted to USCIS 10/2020

Transferred to DOS 08/2021

I-612/613: Updated 05/2022

Still waiting for the response. 

20 hours ago, Hardship LM said:

c32592df-9b5d-445c-894a-3fba12dd2006.thumb.jpg.04ddfd549f565c9f6b1d4e16c543d557.jpgHello,  just sharing my timeline. I'm still waiting and it's been more than 4 months with DOS.  Last year a friend of mine got his answer in less than 4 months.  Please share your timeline just so we can support each other.  Thank you all for sharing. 

Hello Hardship LM and others,

I can feel the anxiousness and pain. Who knows how long will it take to provide an opinion? What could we do other than be optimistic and patience! USCIS asked for an advisory opinion on Dec 15, 2021. After my email inquiry in mid January 2022, DoS has confirmed at the end of February that they have received it. However, it has updated on March 13, 2022! Mine is as follows:

image.png.f7d79d38f984117a451f71da4347a25d.png

Edited by RASHAB

16 hours ago, RASHAB said:

Hello Hardship LM and others,

I can feel the anxiousness and pain. Who knows how long will it take to provide an opinion? What could we do other than be optimistic and patience! USCIS asked for an advisory opinion on Dec 15, 2021. After my email inquiry in mid January 2022, DoS has confirmed at the end of February that they have received it. However, it has updated on March 13, 2022! Mine is as follows:

image.png.f7d79d38f984117a451f71da4347a25d.png

Dear friends, 

we all are in the same boat, not sure if DOS go in order regarding processing the applications. Also, time frame for updating the 612/613 has been very inconsistent. So, I am not sure if there is anything we can predict from. 

When did you file with USCIS initially? Let's stay in touch and keep each other updated. 

On 6/27/2022 at 3:47 PM, MayurSh said:

Hey folks, 

Any recent approvals of J-1 hardships without scholarships?

Thanks

Hey MayurSh,

I have similar timeline:

• Mailed end of October
  • On hold at USCIS end of March
  • DOS received I612/I613 end of March

DOS took 10 days to update I612/I613. Seems like you don’t have a scholarship, why did you do Hardship instead of No Objection then?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.