Naida101

I-131 Case Closed Benefit Received By Other Means

19 posts in this topic

We received the Green Card two weeks and today this came up for the I-765 and I-131 on USCIS.  We haven’t yet received the SSN. I called the office and they said we can’t make an appointment until 3 weeks after green card received. We selected in the I-131 to be issued a ssn. Does anyone have advice? Will it come this week or do we need to go social security office? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Naida101 said:

We received the Green Card two weeks and today this came up for the I-765 and I-131 on USCIS.  We haven’t yet received the SSN. I called the office and they said we can’t make an appointment until 3 weeks after green card received. We selected in the I-131 to be issued a ssn. Does anyone have advice? Will it come this week or do we need to go social security office? 

The I-131 is AP.  There should be no option to receive a SSN through that.  I-765 and I-485 have options to obtain an SSN.

Here's the link to SSA regarding the SSN requests:

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnvisa/ebe.html

You need to wait 3 weeks.  After 3 weeks you should contact SSA again and ask about the status of the SSN.  Based on what they say you may still need to keep waiting or submit a SS-5.

2 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

The I-131 is AP.  There should be no option to receive a SSN through that.  I-765 and I-485 have options to obtain an SSN.

Here's the link to SSA regarding the SSN requests:

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnvisa/ebe.html

You need to wait 3 weeks.  After 3 weeks you should contact SSA again and ask about the status of the SSN.  Based on what they say you may still need to keep waiting or submit a SS-5.

Hi @SteveInBostonI130 yes, you are correct. I got the numbers mixed up! I know we selected issue SSN on one of the forms. Darn! 

*** Moved from K3 Process & Procedures to SSN sub-forum -- topic is about getting SSN ***

14 minutes ago, Naida101 said:

do we need to go social security office?

Yes, you now need to book an appointment at your local SSA office to apply for SSN in person.

11 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

USCIS will do the work to issue the SS # 

Hi @JeanneAdil it’s been 2 and half weeks already since we received the green card. I’m starting to think it should have arrived by now? I called SSA office like 10x last week to finally get through to someone. I really hope we don’t need to go into their offices. 

Edited by Naida101

31 minutes ago, Naida101 said:

My son in law arrived from Egypt on Sept 9th. By the 20th of Sept he had his social security card. Then green card came Nov 5th . So hang on

3 minutes ago, hannysgrammy@gmai said:

My son in law arrived from Egypt on Sept 9th. By the 20th of Sept he had his social security card. Then green card came Nov 5th . So hang on

Different situation.  Your son-in-law did not adjust status.  OP did.

17 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

USCIS will do the work to issue the SS # 

Not if I-765 processing was cancelled due to GC being issued first.  It doesn't seem like the SSN section was available on the I-485 form when OP filed for AOS.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
40 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Not if I-765 processing was cancelled due to GC being issued first.  It doesn't seem like the SSN section was available on the I-485 form when OP filed for AOS.

Ouch

getting into a SS office is so hard these days

1 hour ago, Chancy said:

Hi @Chancy we did have the option on form I-485. It was question #16-  which we selected. During our interview the officer confirmed we had selected to receive it. We’re really happy about the green card. We just thought we’d receive the social first. 

53B859D7-637B-4FBE-90E9-6244B602161E.png

2 minutes ago, Naida101 said:

we did have the option on form I-485. It was question #16-  which we selected. During our interview the officer confirmed we had selected to receive it.

In that case, USCIS should send the SSN request to SSA directly and you just need to wait for it.  But if you don't receive it after a month, I suggest applying for SSN in person at an SSA office.

1 minute ago, Chancy said:

In that case, USCIS should send the SSN request to SSA directly and you just need to wait for it.  But if you don't receive it after a month, I suggest applying for SSN in person at an SSA office.

Thank you @Chancy! I called their office and they said you must wait 3 weeks but on their site it says 7 business days after receiving green card. Getting ahold of anyone at USCIS and SSA has proven quite difficult. Happy holidays to you! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.