platinum-android

Green card issued while I was out of the USA; will I face any issues with CBP and can I use Global Entry?

8 posts in this topic

My situation and context:

• Last year: USC spouse filed I-130; I filed I-131(AP), I-765 (EAD), and I-485 (AOS)
  • October: Received my EAD + AP card
  • December 5: I exited USA for a month-long trip carrying my EAD + AP card
  • December 14-20: I-485 approved and green card delivered to my home address in the USA via USPS
  • January 5: I will re-enter USA with my EAD + AP card

Questions:

1. Will I face any potential issues with CBP for not carrying my green card?
  2. Will I be able to use Global Entry? (My global entry is tied to my passport, and I never updated global entry since last year)

Thanks in advance for your replies! :)

My timeline:

Dec-2020: I-485, I-765, and I-131 filed
Aug-2021: I-485 biometrics appointment
Sep-2021: EAD + AP card delivered
Oct-2021: I-485 interview
Dec-2021: Conditional Green Card delivered

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline

1.  Nope.  You can't carry a green card you don't have.  Use your EAD + AP card.

2.  Since your card hasn't been given to Global Entry for them to update your records, it shouldn't be a problem.  Use the GE lane and see.  If you get the big X, then you can go talk to a human and see what's up.

The only thing I can see that you could do in advance would be to have someone else send you a copy of your green card as an email attachment or a fax...but it's not needed.  You don't physically have your green card on you.  You go with what you have.  You're legal as you are.

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
5 hours ago, platinum-android said:

Questions:

1. Will I face any potential issues with CBP for not carrying my green card?
  2. Will I be able to use Global Entry? (My global entry is tied to my passport, and I never updated global entry since last year)

Thanks in advance for your replies! :)

1. No.  

2. Do not attempt to use the GE lane.  You are in the risk of having your membership revoked.  After you enter the USA, and get your green card, see if you can update online.  If not, visit a GE office (usually landslide at the any airport with a CBP check point) and ask an officer to update your GE membership.  After that you will only use your green card at a GE kiosk.  

Edited by Mike E

Thank you! I'm pretty clear on my first question now. But considering that @Mike E and @Vickys_Mom both provided conflicting answers to my second question, it would be great if anyone else could weigh in on this topic. Thanks again! :)

On 12/21/2021 at 7:50 PM, Mike E said:

2. Do not attempt to use the GE lane.  

On 12/21/2021 at 4:29 PM, Vickys_Mom said:

2. Use the GE lane and see.

Edited by platinum-android

My timeline:

Dec-2020: I-485, I-765, and I-131 filed
Aug-2021: I-485 biometrics appointment
Sep-2021: EAD + AP card delivered
Oct-2021: I-485 interview
Dec-2021: Conditional Green Card delivered

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline
51 minutes ago, platinum-android said:

Thank you! I'm pretty clear on my first question now. But considering that @Mike E and @Vickys_Mom both provided conflicting answers to my second question, it would be great if anyone else could weigh in on this topic. Thanks again! :)

My thought was that, until you have the green card in hand, your status with respect to GE has not changed.  If you were asked to provide a GC you couldn't because it's not in your physical possession.  And I'm pretty sure that GE does not talk to anyone else about updating documents...you have to provide them the information.  But am I 100% certain?  Nope.

The less riskier solution is not to use the GE lane.  Do as @Mike E suggested.  It's only for this one time until you have your GC in your possession and you can get the GE information updated.

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You can not use GE.  Your status has changed to LPR.  Unless you made the changes with GE online, then you can't use it.

The thought that you are not an LPR until you have the green in your hand is wrong.  You already are an LPR and a card has been issued.  Your status doesn't change when you get the card in your hands.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

As said the best is just not to use GE and do regular line. You can even tell them that your GC has been approved. CBP may admit you as a resident and not as a parolee upon internal verification, not that it matters how u get admitted.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.