Luis Gutierrez

Need Help! Issued a DS-5535 after dealing with 221g

16 posts in this topic

My Fiancé and I are going through the K1 nightmare ordeal.... My fiancé was issues a white paper 221g stating that they needed a certified copy of my divorce decree. We immediately sent it in and received an acknowledgment email from the US Consulate in Bogota Colombia right away.

Last night my Fiancé received an email from the US Embassy asking her to fill out the DS-5535 form.

I have two questions:

1. Is an electronic signature valid or do we have to print, fill out, (physically) sign the document, then scan it tp PDF and send it in via email?

2. My fiancé does not have her old passport so we don't know the number nor have details on places she has traveled to in the last 15 years. However, we do have some info in her current passport but it clearly doesn't cover the last 15 years. Anybody out there run into this issue? If so, how did you proceed and what was the outcome?

Thank you!

luis

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

check out the 5535 posts on VJ for many of those going thru this issue

the 5535 form should be returned to the embassy and they should have given her instructions on how to do that

she should make out the travel history that she remember giving old passport # if she knows it

if not,  it will take longer for the embassy to check that info but the CO can do it 

don't expect the process to be fast 

and sorry u go thru all this

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey did you get any news? I got a 221g as well from the Panama City Embassy (just a financial doc needed to be sign by my mother-in-law) after our interview April 20, 2022. We sent the missing doc immediately that day, then when we requested a status update on the case about a week later, we got the email for the DS-5535. The completed Ds5535 was sent Apr 29So and far we have gotten about six updates but no approval, last update was over 3 weeks ago :(

I wish I could say that this K1 nightmare is over but it's not, we are still waiting for approval. It's been 7 + months since we submitted the DS-5535 and nothing's happened. The total K1 process to date has been well over TWO YEARS!!! I even had the office of my US Rep contact Bogota for status and all they received is the same ole scripted message blaming things on COVID and not committing to any time line. At this point I lost faith in the US immigration process. Life is too short to be in limbo., time to think of plan B.

I wish you the best and hope your case gets resolved soon.

1 hour ago, Luis Gutierrez said:

I wish I could say that this K1 nightmare is over but it's not, we are still waiting for approval. It's been 7 + months since we submitted the DS-5535 and nothing's happened. The total K1 process to date has been well over TWO YEARS!!! I even had the office of my US Rep contact Bogota for status and all they received is the same ole scripted message blaming things on COVID and not committing to any time line. At this point I lost faith in the US immigration process. Life is too short to be in limbo., time to think of plan B.

I wish you the best and hope your case gets resolved soon.

Sorry, why did you get the DS-5535?

@Genzo10 I wish I knew the reason they issued the DS-5535. It was given to us after we sent in the required document that was requested via the 221g. Aside from that, it's my understanding that .5% of all immigrant applicants are issued that form. They also issue that form if you come from a country that they consider "shady".

• 2 weeks later...

@panamerican24 Yeah , I also explored the writ of mandamus BUT my case was denied by two popular law firms on YouTube:  Goldstein Immigration Lawyers and Hacking immigration law. They basically rejected the case because they stated that they have been unsuccessful with K1 cases recently. They were simply being honest so didn't want to take my money knowing that they will very likely lose. Waiting is the only option at this point. It's been since December 2021 that we submitted the DS-5535 - the biggest test of patience ever! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

@Luis Gutierrez You have another option - to get married and apply for CR1. I know it's difficult after all this time, but maybe there is some red flag in your case, that will be easier to overcome with CR1. 

On 7/6/2022 at 10:36 AM, panamerican24 said:

that's crazy! We're thinking if it gets to be too long, to file a Writ of Mandamus. Basically, sue the embassy and obtain a court-ordered date that they need to make a decision by. I can't believe it has been this long and still no answers. When was your last update on CEAC?

A writ of mandamus doesn’t force a favorable decision.  If the background checks are still pending by the date the WoM says they have to issue a decision by, it will be a denial of the visa. 

@Gomast Yeah, after all this time invested it's difficult aborting the process to start a new one. At this point what I'm starting to explore is the option of moving to Mexico with my Woman and waiting it out there. Who knows, maybe we just stay there and start a new life. I have dual citizenship (Mexican and US) so from the immigration point of view, I'm good to go. The biggest challenge would be finding a job that would allow me to work remotely - working on that as we speak :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
19 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

A writ of mandamus doesn’t force a favorable decision.  If the background checks are still pending by the date the WoM says they have to issue a decision by, it will be a denial of the visa. 

I disagree. If the background checks are still pending, the WoM will be dismissed in court, and it will not force a decision on the visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.