RamonGomez

Name TYPO on I-797 NOA for ROC

54 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Mira T said:

Hello! Just send the letter explaining your situation to them. Make sure you include your hubby’s correct name and his alien reg number, not forgetting his case number. Send it to your service center. You’ll get a response quicker this way.  Do not wait for them to call you. You can check my letter on this thread to have an idea of how I did it 

Thank you. I’m sending it today itself 

Timeline
1 hour ago, ujones said:

I’m going through similar situation with my hubby’s last name. Sent two online Typographical error request & received an email response for second one saying they forwarded it to adjudicating officer as only he can fix it.I  called yesterday & they said someone will call me in 30 days for the infopass appointment. Should I just go ahead & sent a request letter or wait for them to call ? How did you get yours fixed after sending the letter ? Did you get stamp or new corrected letter ?

I would do the InfoPass if it isn't a big deal (ie you need to drive 6 hours to get to the office). There's no guarantee they'll reply to the letter. Worst case scenario you'll have two forms of proof of status. 

One person reported the InfoPass officer stamping the passport and asking for an updated NOA to be sent out. So if your letter doesn't do anything you can also request a new NOA at the InfoPass appointment.

In my experience, with USCIS, you need to have to bombard them. Call, fill out online requests, write letters, use the chatbot etc.  Keep pushing until you get what you need, even if it means sending an extraneous letter or making an extra call. 

Edited by RamonGomez

29 minutes ago, RamonGomez said:

I would do the InfoPass if it isn't a big deal (ie you need to drive 6 hours to get to the office). There's no guarantee they'll reply to the letter. Worst case scenario you'll have two forms of proof of status. 

One person reported the InfoPass officer stamping the passport and asking for an updated NOA to be sent out. So if your letter doesn't do anything you can also request a new NOA at the InfoPass appointment.

In my experience, with USCIS, you need to have to bombard them. Call, fill out online requests, write letters, use the chatbot etc.  Keep pushing until you get what you need, even if it means sending an extraneous letter or making an extra call. 

Yeah I’m going to sent the letter today. The other day when I called USCIS & told them won’t be able to travel with the mistake in receipt he directed me to customs & border petrol. So sent them an email explaining the situation & asked if it would be a issue coming bk to US if we travel & they responded saying it’s a simple issue & it won’t cause any trouble. But I’m going to try everything to get it corrected before we travel. If nothing works out then will have to travel with all these email proofs & receipts along with the notice with wrong name. It’s such a headache 

On 2/3/2022 at 10:13 PM, Mira T said:

I sent the letter on January 18 but usps had a delay so the letter got to uscis on January 24th and I received a text last night telling me to get ready to receive a call within 5 business days, from a certain number that they sent to me . I saved the number in my contacts just so I don’t miss it and today at exactly 7 am, they called me. 

editing to correct this info. I just checked the tracking details. Uscis actually received my letter on 1/31/2022 meaning it took just three days to call me after receiving the letter and they updated my case status same day. All other information is correct 

Edited by ujones

On 3/3/2022 at 10:22 PM, Mira T said:

Finally! You don’t need an info pass anymore imho. I regret spending my money and wasting my time traveling to them but it’s because I didn’t know I was gonna get my notice that fast. I got my new Notice with correct names three days ago. Your notice will be on its way to you now so no point going for an info pass. Congrats.

Did you get the letter with updated info ?

On 3/4/2022 at 12:45 PM, ujones said:

Yeah I’m going to sent the letter today. The other day when I called USCIS & told them won’t be able to travel with the mistake in receipt he directed me to customs & border petrol. So sent them an email explaining the situation & asked if it would be a issue coming bk to US if we travel & they responded saying it’s a simple issue & it won’t cause any trouble. But I’m going to try everything to get it corrected before we travel. If nothing works out then will have to travel with all these email proofs & receipts along with the notice with wrong name. It’s such a headache 

USCIS received letter Monday. How long it took for them to respond to your letter ?

On 3/4/2022 at 12:13 PM, RamonGomez said:

How do I get to their chat box ?

20 hours ago, ujones said:

How do I get to their chat box ?

https://www.uscis.gov/tools/meet-emma-our-virtual-assistant

In my experience, though, the chat function is worthless. If I recall correctly, I contacted USCIS two times through the chat and was patched through to a Tier 1 agent—neither of whom did anything about the typo on my extension letter. I wasted valuable time I could have used to send a letter to MSC/NBC as shown in this thread or get an InfoPass appointment.

Edited by Locito

Getting there, slowly but surely...  (I hope )

Together (well...mostly the Transatlanticism kind of together) Since 12/2013

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
(Well Frontloaded) I-130 Sent 12/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

I-751 Package Sent with UPS 11/11/2020
I-751 Received by the AZ Lockbox 11/13/2020
I-751 Check Cashed 12/31/2020
I-797 (with My Last Name Misspelled...) Received by Mail 1/2/2021

Biometrics Appointment Received by Mail...too bad I am in Europe right when it's supposed to take place 🤯 6/14/2021

Rescheduled Biometrics Appointment, the biometric technician can't change the misspelled name on file, but he enters the correct spelling of my last name as an alias 8/2/2021

Interview Ready to Be Scheduled 10/13/2021

(Two Days Later) Interview Was Scheduled 😱 10/15/2021

I-751 Interview, Petition Approved 🥳 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to New Card Is Being Produced 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to Case Was Approved 11/22/2021

Green Card Arrived in the Mail (Name Correctly Spelling, w00t) 11/27/2021

When USCIS Misspells Your Name:

Typographical error form filled on USCIS website 1/4/2021
Contacted USCIS if there has been any progress since THEIR error (Received a Tier 1 tracking number) 2/6/2021
Contacted USCIS again as the issue remains to be resolved (Received ANOTHER Tier 1 tracking number) 3/12/2021
Apparently USCIS chat is worthless; CALLED USCIS, Tier 1 agent promised that a Tier 2 agent would call me 4/28/2021
Received a call from a nice Tier 2 officer who said I may or may not get a correct extension letter, but just in case I would be scheduled an InfoPASS appointment 5/4/2021
Went to local USCIS service center and had to deal with a nasty and entitled customer service agent who refused to give me an I-551 stamp. National Benefits Center is supposed to mail me another I-797 within 7-10 days... So I had to waste my day, taking buses for two hours one-way just to deal with this lady's attitude? 5/7/2021

After anxiously monitoring our mailbox for a few days I DID receive a corrected I-797, w00t! All documents good to go Vaccinated Ready to visit my parents in Europe for the first time in 17 months!!  5/13/2021

The lesson: Don't use the chat for anything complicated, AND keep hassling USCIS for a response...

29 minutes ago, Locito said:

https://www.uscis.gov/tools/meet-emma-our-virtual-assistant

In my experience, though, the chat function is worthless. If I recall correctly, I contacted USCIS two times through the chat and was patched through to a Tier 1 agent—neither of whom did anything about the typo on my extension letter. I wasted valuable time I could have used to send a letter to MSC/NBC as shown in this thread or get an InfoPass appointment.

Did you get it corrected ?

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, RamonGomez said:

Well 3 weeks after the "Name Was Changed" Update I still didn't receive a corrected letter. 🤢

Looks like I'll be calling them this week. I'll also send another letter just in case.

They never responded to my letter. Have an appointment for infopass tomorrow . Kind of worried about that as somewhere I read officer denied giving the stamp. I have to travel in May 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, ujones said:

They never responded to my letter. Have an appointment for infopass tomorrow . Kind of worried about that as somewhere I read officer denied giving the stamp. I have to travel in May 

Did you get the InfoPass pretty easily (i.e. just call USCIS and getting a call back from USCIS to schedule it)? Or did they give you some hassle.

I also read one poster who didn't get the stamp at the InfoPass appointment, but the officer was able to request a corrected letter which arrived quickly.

Please let us know how it goes. Good luck 😀

Edited by RamonGomez

12 minutes ago, RamonGomez said:

Did you get the InfoPass pretty easily (i.e. just call USCIS and getting a call back from USCIS to schedule it)? Or did they give you some hassle.

I also read one poster who didn't get the stamp at the InfoPass appointment, but the officer was able to request a corrected letter which arrived quickly.

Please let us know how it goes. Good luck 😀

They actually called me back pretty quick so that part was easy. Will see what happens tomorrow . You already got the infopass & stamping right ? 

Edited by ujones

Timeline
23 hours ago, ujones said:

They actually called me back pretty quick so that part was easy. Will see what happens tomorrow . You already got the infopass & stamping right ? 

No, I only sent them a letter which they updated in their internal systems (my status changed to "Name Was Updated") but they never actually re-issued the correct letter. And it's been 3 weeks since the status change, so my guess is that letter will probably not come unless I continue to bother them.

I'm calling USCIS today to get an InfoPass/stamp appointment. 

Edited by RamonGomez

39 minutes ago, RamonGomez said:

No, I only sent them a letter which they updated in their internal systems (my status changed to "Name Was Updated") but they never actually re-issued the correct letter. And it's been 3 weeks since the status change, so my guess is that letter will probably not come unless I continue to bother them.

I'm calling USCIS today to get an InfoPass/stamp appointment. 

Going for our appointment. Will keep you updated 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.