TimsDaisy

Those with a visa, please step forward

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
I've seen a lawyer note that he'd had incidents with clients who traveled after the FBI checks for the State Department (which are ordered by the NVC when the petition arrives there) were completed. Because of the travel the consulate wanted the checks repeated, delaying the issuance of the visa, so his recommendation to his clients is that once the petition leaves the NVC, stay home.

Seems unlikely. How would they even know if I traveled anywhere? Most countries (U.S. excluded) don't stamp your passport.

Not when I've travelled. I've been stamped every time (about 20 countries) - except once in France, and every time in Canada & Mexico.

My passport was stamped when I entered the UK.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I made the Canadian border agent stamp my passport when I drove into Canada from Vermont to meet up with Tim in Montreal. The agent sort of rolled her eyes at me when I insisted she take it back after checking it :) Evidence! Haha.

I think the stamps aren't really going to be the controlling factor in the future as countries start implementing RFID - those nifty chips that allow agencies to scan and pull up a computer record of your comings and goings. A lot more dependable (in theory, anyway).

At any rate, I don't think they are checking the passport stamps. I can see a motivation to do another check just in case would be criminals waited until AFTER they thought they had been fully vetted to run to somewhere known for drugs or criminal masterminds or whatever to meet up with their wrong-un friends.

Who knows. Most of the checks don't work to catch the real bad guys anyway - but we know all of that.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I spoke with a congressional staffer yesterday regarding some of my issues. She did tell me that when they contact the Embassy, they have 30 days to respond. Normally, it does not take that long, but they must have an answer or at least an explanation within the 30 days (which is also the same when they contact USCIS and that certainly did not take 30 days for me).

I hope you hear something soon!

Aug. 2001 - met online playing trivia

May 2006 - engaged

06-12-06 - Met with lawyer, filed for a K-1 visa

07-17-06 - NOA1

10-31-06 - Touched

01-29-07 - Found out from USCIS that my lawyer had filed at the wrong service center and nothing has been processed.

02-08-07 - Found out that our petition had been closed back in Oct. 2006. No one was ever notified of this from USCIS

02-09-07 - Began gathering paperwork once again to start all over. Started cancelling our wedding plans

02-20-07 - Filed for a K-1 visa once again

02-27-07 - NOA1

04-21-07 - Originally planned wedding date (had to cancel) :(

05-22-07 - Touched

06-01-07 - Granted a Congressional Inquiry!

06-15-07 - NVC received our approved I-129F petition (I never received an NOA2 via email or snail mail). We are just so HAPPY to finally move on!

06-25-07 - Packet 3 received (but it was rec'd by our lawyer, she has forwarded it on to my fiance in Australia)

06-28-07 - Fiance rec'd Packet 3

06-30-07 - Finally rec'd NOA2 via snail mail. It is dated June 25, same day as Packet 3 was rec'd.

07-05-07 - Mailed back form letter DSL-1076 (Applicant's Statement of Readiness to be Interviewed).

07-05-07 - Just waiting now in hopes of an interview date before APEC

07-13-07 - Received Packet 4

07-30-07 - Interview!!!! - APPROVED!

09-01-07 - Fiance arrives in the USA!

10-06-07 - Getting Married

Slight update - probably nothing.

So I called DOS again today because it makes me feel proactive and figured, what the heck, worst it says is the same it says yesterday. I got the guy that Tiffany refers to as "Good Luck" - he's the nicest chap there I think, I almost said, "Tiff says hello!" ;) The conversation went something like this:

Hahaha - indeed Hi to "Good Luck Dude"

And, yeah, I'm the same what about calling and such. I guess the devil you know is easier to deal with than the devil you don't know.

Our Visa Journey

2/13 - I-129F sent to TSC

7/31 - K1 - APPROVED

8/5 - POE @ Dallas/Ft. Worth

8/11 - Wedding!!

10/15 - received Greencard

Got 10-year Greencard

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
I've seen a lawyer note that he'd had incidents with clients who traveled after the FBI checks for the State Department (which are ordered by the NVC when the petition arrives there) were completed. Because of the travel the consulate wanted the checks repeated, delaying the issuance of the visa, so his recommendation to his clients is that once the petition leaves the NVC, stay home.

If this is true it could potentially be a problem for me - I'm waiting to hear if i got a temp writing job that will mean I have to travel to a few more European countries before my interview date - but as the job hasn't been confirmed yet I didn't list the countries in the 'places you've visited in the last 10 years' section in the packet 3 forms, so if i get a few more passport stamps i guess it could cause delays. - the job is good an opportunity for me to turn down if the project gets the go ahead, however.

Met in Wales November 2004

Got engaged Feb 2007

Sent I-129F to NSC Mar 6th 2007

Embassy interview 11th Sep 2007

Arrived in US 15th Sep 2007

Married Oct 12th 2007

Sent AOS forms Nov 13th 2007

Biometrics Dec 14th 2007

EAD/AP received Jan 22nd 2008

Green Card interview Mar 23rd 2008

Filed: Timeline

mawilson,

Yes, they would have to know that a person had traveled. That seems obvious.

Yodrak

Seems unlikely. How would they even know if I traveled anywhere? Most countries (U.S. excluded) don't stamp your passport.

Timeline
mawilson,

Yodrak

The government knows a lot of stuff. Lots of governments know lots of stuff. And they share information frequently.

However, before people panic about traveling during the processing of a K1, I think it's important to remember that there's no prohibition on doing so and many people travel frequently for all kinds of purposes. I'd hate to see people start to worry about things that, in all likelihood, have an extremely low chance of causing a delay in processing based on what some lawyer once said somewhere else. If your work or pre-paid vacation plans call for you to travel, then do it, unless you get confirmation from an Embassy worker or a lawyer who tells you not to.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

Filed: Other Timeline

I doubt Yodrak is trying to create panic. But he is mentioning a noteworthy detail.

mawilson,

Yodrak

The government knows a lot of stuff. Lots of governments know lots of stuff. And they share information frequently.

However, before people panic about traveling during the processing of a K1, I think it's important to remember that there's no prohibition on doing so and many people travel frequently for all kinds of purposes. I'd hate to see people start to worry about things that, in all likelihood, have an extremely low chance of causing a delay in processing based on what some lawyer once said somewhere else. If your work or pre-paid vacation plans call for you to travel, then do it, unless you get confirmation from an Embassy worker or a lawyer who tells you not to.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
I doubt Yodrak is trying to create panic. But he is mentioning a noteworthy detail.
mawilson,

Yodrak

I have my visa in hand and am planning to visit an EU country BEFORE i go to the USA, i take it **THAT** won't slow anything down/complicate?

Timeline

No. You'll be fine traveling around before getting to the US.

(and I know Yodrak wasn't starting a panic or trying to. Neither was mawilson. but someone new to the discussion could come in and start unnecessarily worrying about the travel issue - so I thought I'd put it out there that there's no hard evidence to suggest restricting travel is necessary.)

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

Handy numbers:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Daisy I hope this is sorted out as soon as possible for you. I also hope the hold up isn't related to overseas travel after a certain date or indeed relating to countries visited, as my passport has some NICE middle east visa stamps in it and I hope they do not cause a similar delay as my flight and wedding etc are already booked. Do they not realise the levels of anxiety they cause when they do this sort of thing???????

Again best of luck in getting a prompt resolution to the delay.

Timeline
Daisy I hope this is sorted out as soon as possible for you. I also hope the hold up isn't related to overseas travel after a certain date or indeed relating to countries visited, as my passport has some NICE middle east visa stamps in it and I hope they do not cause a similar delay as my flight and wedding etc are already booked. Do they not realise the levels of anxiety they cause when they do this sort of thing???????

Again best of luck in getting a prompt resolution to the delay.

Thanks for the kind words.

I really don't think ours has anything to do with travel after the NVC stage. I think it is MUCH more likely that it is because of either our change in interview date or the past removal issue on Tim's record. I don't think ours in the ordinary course of events. Not unheard of, but certainly not ordinary.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

Handy numbers:

Timeline

Okay, NOW I'm starting to be a bit more upset at the delay. Nothing changed. I think the magic effect of the chocolate mags suggest I take to ease the stress is wearing off ;)

At this moment, I'd most like to know when we'd know something so I can figure out whether I should try to make another visit over there (which makes me peeved that he can't travel At All right now since they have his passport!).

Maybe it'll all be solved by Monday - which would've been a normal delivery time for the visa anyway. That'd be cool.

This is just the first time in this whole process where I've had zero idea at all when our next visit will be. That makes me anxious.

Blah.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

Handy numbers:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Now I have to wait until Monday to hear anything????

Cruel :crying:

*keeping my fingers crossed" :yes:

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.