sb3570

K1 visa expedite

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hey guys.

we filed our i129f on may 3rd so we are officially 7 months in. Hopefully we get approved soon but I’m worried since they haven’t really started processing March cases yet.

my fiancé and I both live together in Ireland and we are worried about another covid lockdown being introduced. Would we have grounds for an expedite with uscis if my fiance(petitioner) loses his job and that would put us in financial hardship?

does anyone have any experience with this?

Timeline
Just now, Dashinka said:

I don't have any experience with expediting a K1/I129F, and with the global backlog, I am not sure how much can really be done.  I am curious, if you are living together in Ireland, why not get married and take the spousal (CR1/IR1) visa route?  There is not much time advantage to the K1 anymore, and the CR1 would allow the foreign spouse to immediately work and travel internationally after they enter the US with the valid visa.

Good Luck!

Yeah looking back , I wish we would’ve just got married here and did the spousal visa. I think now since we’re almost at the end of the k1 process we’re just gonna stick to it instead of starting all over again

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, sb3570 said:

Hey guys.

we filed our i129f on may 3rd so we are officially 7 months in. Hopefully we get approved soon but I’m worried since they haven’t really started processing March cases yet.

my fiancé and I both live together in Ireland and we are worried about another covid lockdown being introduced. Would we have grounds for an expedite with uscis if my fiance(petitioner) loses his job and that would put us in financial hardship?

does anyone have any experience with this?

Why did you file for a K-1?  

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1        
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 6-8 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 6-8 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire

CR-1
    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, sb3570 said:

Yeah looking back , I wish we would’ve just got married here and did the spousal visa. I think now since we’re almost at the end of the k1 process we’re just gonna stick to it instead of starting all over again

You may want to re-evaluate what you are calling the "end" of the process.  It seems you are still in the USCIS/I129F stage which may be approved in the next few months, but then K1s seem to hit a brick wall at NVC due to the backlogs at the consulates.  Of course we do not know your entire story and DCF is not a routine thing anymore, but make sure you are looking at the fact that in a year or more when the K1 is finally approved, the foreign spouse will not be able to work or travel internationally for 8 months or more after the AOS/AP/EAD package is submitted.

Regardless, your decision.  Here is some information for making an expedite request.  I am not sure if you have to submit a new request at each stage (USCIS/NVC/Consulate), others may know that better.

Good Luck!

https://www.visatutor.com/fiance-visa-expedite-request/

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
40 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Why did you file for a K-1?  

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1        
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 6-8 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 6-8 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire

CR-1
    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �

We filed for k1 because we wanted to get married in the US with all his family. The work and travel restrictions aren’t a big deal for us so we were fine with having to file AOS and wait. Also with the sponsor requirements we would have had to get a family member to sponsor for the green card as he only has foreign income but with the k1 we will only have to get a sponsor for the k1 and he can be my sponsor for the AOS when he has a job over there. Over all there are a lot of pros and cons of both processes but we are almost at the end with only a couple months left to go instead of starting over with a spousal visa

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

You may want to re-evaluate what you are calling the "end" of the process.  It seems you are still in the USCIS/I129F stage which may be approved in the next few months, but then K1s seem to hit a brick wall at NVC due to the backlogs at the consulates.  Of course we do not know your entire story and DCF is not a routine thing anymore, but make sure you are looking at the fact that in a year or more when the K1 is finally approved, the foreign spouse will not be able to work or travel internationally for 8 months or more after the AOS/AP/EAD package is submitted.

Regardless, your decision.  Here is some information for making an expedite request.  I am not sure if you have to submit a new request at each stage (USCIS/NVC/Consulate), others may know that better.

Good Luck!

https://www.visatutor.com/fiance-visa-expedite-request/

Yeah so we are 7 months into the uscis stage. We are hoping with the way things are going that we will be approved end of jan/ feb and according to timelines here in Ireland it is only take 1-2 months from noa2 - interview date.

I have looked into dcf as they do it in Dublin but only with exceptional circumstances but it’s taking about 3 months to get a marriage license here due to backlogs so I feel like by the time we do that, get married, file for dcf the k1visa will probably be issued by then.

thanks for the link!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, sb3570 said:

Yeah so we are 7 months into the uscis stage. We are hoping with the way things are going that we will be approved end of jan/ feb and according to timelines here in Ireland it is only take 1-2 months from noa2 - interview date.

I have looked into dcf as they do it in Dublin but only with exceptional circumstances but it’s taking about 3 months to get a marriage license here due to backlogs so I feel like by the time we do that, get married, file for dcf the k1visa will probably be issued by then.

thanks for the link!

Zoom wedding.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance lives in England. The processing center received our K1 applications on January 20, 2021. It was approved on Aug 25. After more paperwork and forms, he had his interview on November 24, and was approved. So it took 10 months from start to finish for him to get his visa for him to travel here for us to marry. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
1 hour ago, Melissa and Keith said:

My fiance lives in England. The processing center received our K1 applications on January 20, 2021. It was approved on Aug 25. After more paperwork and forms, he had his interview on November 24, and was approved. So it took 10 months from start to finish for him to get his visa for him to travel here for us to marry. 

Unfortunately, I-129F now takes 9 months minimum to process, so such timelines are no longer realistic. I am unaware of how NVC processes cases through but it's my understanding that so long as the interviewing embassy is relatively clear, they'll request the packet fairly promptly. OP, you can always check the average amount of time it takes for an Ireland interview under the Processing Times tab here on VJ. I would recommend joining our little thread for March filers in the "Progress + Reports" subforum or the March filers Facebook group. We have charts that are regularly updated and may inform your decisions. 

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

On 12/3/2021 at 10:51 PM, sb3570 said:

We filed for k1 because we wanted to get married in the US with all his family. The work and travel restrictions aren’t a big deal for us so we were fine with having to file AOS and wait. Also with the sponsor requirements we would have had to get a family member to sponsor for the green card as he only has foreign income but with the k1 we will only have to get a sponsor for the k1 and he can be my sponsor for the AOS when he has a job over there. Over all there are a lot of pros and cons of both processes but we are almost at the end with only a couple months left to go instead of starting over with a spousal visa

You don't know if the work and travel restrictions will be a big deal until you are actually living in the States. 

If financial hardship is a concern right now consider what it will be like to live in the States on one income while you (the beneficiary) is wholly dependent on your husband (the petitioner) while you wait for your EAD and AP.  Depending on where you live, you might not be able to drive either. 7+ months not being able to work or drive. 

Unless living in the States is the most important thing and you need to leave Ireland, I strongly recommend re-considering your options and getting married via Utah Zoom or in Ireland and having a vow renewal/commitment ceremony in front of his family when you arrive in the States. 

I know a lot of international couples and it's not at all unusual to have two "weddings": one in each country. 

VisaJourney currently shows 4 months between NOA2 and interview for Ireland. If they haven't started processing March yet, you're looking at maybe 6 or more months before you get to the interview stage. 

K1 timelines for Ireland.

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/k1list.php?op6=All&op66=All&op7=Ireland&op1=3&op2=&op3=1&op4=1&op5=5%2C6%2C8%2C10%2C11%2C13%2C14%2C15%2C16%2C17%2C18%2C20%2C21%2C22%2C25%2C26%2C27%2C28%2C108%2C110%2C111%2C208%2C210%2C211&cfl=

CR1/IR1 timelines for Ireland.

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/k1list.php?op6=All&op66=All&op7=Ireland&op1=&op2=&dfile=No&op3=5&op4=1&op5=5%2C6%2C8%2C10%2C11%2C13%2C14%2C15%2C16%2C17%2C18%2C20%2C21%2C22%2C25%2C26%2C27%2C28%2C108%2C110%2C111%2C208%2C210%2C211&cfl=

Edited by Kor2USA
added Ireland timelines

On 12/3/2021 at 3:27 PM, Dashinka said:

I don't have any experience with expediting a K1/I129F, and with the global backlog, I am not sure how much can really be done.  I am curious, if you are living together in Ireland, why not get married and take the spousal (CR1/IR1) visa route?  There is not much time advantage to the K1 anymore, and the CR1 would allow the foreign spouse to immediately work and travel internationally after they enter the US with the valid visa.

Good Luck!

Expedited case requires urgent matters.

petitioner not living in US may turn into domicile  problem! A resident nay not be a domicile disqualified for spousal visa !!!!

watch what you are asking for. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Help if U can said:

Expedited case requires urgent matters.

petitioner not living in US may turn into domicile  problem! A resident nay not be a domicile disqualified for spousal visa !!!!

watch what you are asking for. 

I think going off what you and @Kor2USA have said. I am definitely going to be looking into a spousal visa. I’m not sure if we can do zoom wedding since my fiancé isn’t a resident anymore but it might be easier to get married abroad in Europe and then register the marriage here and then apply for spousal. I need to also look into dcf requirements for the Irish embassy also. If anyone has any info on dcf that would also be great. 

but yeah I think spousal will be the way to go because with the delays for k1 now and then the restrictions of work and travel spousal is looking a lot better.

thanks for all your guys help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.