Just Paul

And we are done!

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

Hello @bsd058  as @millefleur pointed out it is more about freedom of movement for most duals.   In the case of the Philippines she automatically loses her citizenship when she acquired her US.  The same would apply if she was Chinese.  Philippines allows her to require it but if she was Chinese she would not.  If the US were to ban dual then I am not sure she would have naturalized, especially in the covid climate. For example it is easier for her to travel back to see her family with a Filipino passport.

I used to teach a Business Ethics class.  We would pontificate about the differences between morals, ethics and laws.  Laws never keep with technology or "reality". So while there is an "ethical" question with a dual allegiance in the case of US Law it is not illegal.  In our case I had to decline certain business opportunities (Federal Government related) because I was married to a Foreign National.  My brother even had this come up in a security review while he was in USAF.

So now we are wrapped up and Mrs Mary is now a US Citizen, will regain the Filipino status and because she married me - still has a Mexican Green Card!

Yeah. It's not always black and white. I get that the issue is really about freedom of movement. I also get that this probably isn't the place to debate the ethics and morality behind it. I just wanted to get the points of view of others on it. Not judging you at all and I hope I don't come across that way. It's something I've been thinking about, because I'm a Canadian and would want to be able to see my own family with ease. But Canada doesn't automatically make you surrender your citizenship when you become an American. So, it may not become an issue. Either way, thank you for the insights.

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

On 11/30/2021 at 3:25 PM, Paul & Mary said:

Mary had her interview this morning in Phoenix.  It took about five minutes after waiting about an hour.  I was outside in the car and she called me crying; I thought some disaster happened.  Took about 45 minutes then she and 5 other were naturalized.   

We have a trip to London next week so the only Passport Offices with openings are Honolulu, San Juan and El Paso!  We will work on reacquiring her Filipino Citizenship when we return.

Thanks for all the support!

received_482555646627357-01.jpeg

received_798266584214891.jpeg

received_640025253840368.jpeg

Congrats. I looked at your timeline. Everything  went quick and smooth for you. Happy for you all.

Edited by Mr Genuis

Please can you share the list of documents you included for your Naturalizatiin process? I am about to apply but I really don't know which documents to submitt. I don't have access to my previous leases what evidence can I show?

7 hours ago, Mr Genuis said:

Please can you share the list of documents you included for your Naturalizatiin process? I am about to apply but I really don't know which documents to submitt. I don't have access to my previous leases what evidence can I show?

Use whatever you have so show that you and your spouse live together.   From our cover letter:

1. Attachments for Application for Naturalization:

1. Copy of my I-551 and extension letter - 4 pages total

2. Copy of my husband’s, Paul XX, US Passport biometric page for passport issued May 24, 2017 

3. Copy of Marriage Certificate issued in Hong Kong SAR China

4. Continuation of Part 5- Additional Residences

5. Continuation of Part 8 

1. Additional Work and School History

2. Copy of Downloaded LNA License Verification Report - 2 pages

3. Copies of Medical Certifications for Work at XX Medical Center - 5 pages

6. Continuation of Part 9 - Additional International Travel

7. Copy of my husband’s, Paul XX, termination of prior, and only other, marriage dated May 10, 1999 - 23 pages

8. Documents referring to me and my spouse

1. Copies the Driver's Licenses of Mary and Paul XX and copy of Joint Health Insurance Card.

2. Copy of Arizona Public Service (power utility) bill in both names for 3 months - 9 pages

3. Copy of BBVA bank statement - joint account for 3 months. - 9 pages

4. Copy of Progressive Auto Policy summary showing both as insured/ drivers 

5. Copy of Capital One Statement summary showing cards in both names for 3 months. - 9 pages

6. Copy of Google Fi (Cellular) Statement for Mary and Paul XX for 2 months. - 11 pages

7. Pictures of Mary and Paul XX since filing I-751 in July 2020.

9. Tax Transcripts - Married Filing Separately and shows Paul’s SSN.

1. 2021 - 4 pages

2. 2020 - 4 pages

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

1 hour ago, Paul & Mary said:

Use whatever you have so show that you and your spouse live together.   From our cover letter:

1. Attachments for Application for Naturalization:

1. Copy of my I-551 and extension letter - 4 pages total

2. Copy of my husband’s, Paul XX, US Passport biometric page for passport issued May 24, 2017 

3. Copy of Marriage Certificate issued in Hong Kong SAR China

4. Continuation of Part 5- Additional Residences

5. Continuation of Part 8 

1. Additional Work and School History

2. Copy of Downloaded LNA License Verification Report - 2 pages

3. Copies of Medical Certifications for Work at XX Medical Center - 5 pages

6. Continuation of Part 9 - Additional International Travel

7. Copy of my husband’s, Paul XX, termination of prior, and only other, marriage dated May 10, 1999 - 23 pages

8. Documents referring to me and my spouse

1. Copies the Driver's Licenses of Mary and Paul XX and copy of Joint Health Insurance Card.

2. Copy of Arizona Public Service (power utility) bill in both names for 3 months - 9 pages

3. Copy of BBVA bank statement - joint account for 3 months. - 9 pages

4. Copy of Progressive Auto Policy summary showing both as insured/ drivers 

5. Copy of Capital One Statement summary showing cards in both names for 3 months. - 9 pages

6. Copy of Google Fi (Cellular) Statement for Mary and Paul XX for 2 months. - 11 pages

7. Pictures of Mary and Paul XX since filing I-751 in July 2020.

9. Tax Transcripts - Married Filing Separately and shows Paul’s SSN.

1. 2021 - 4 pages

2. 2020 - 4 pages

Perfect. Thank you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.