kloisha

Wife's brother in Poland is getting married, what to do? AP/I-131 topic

86 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Kor2USA said:

having to work in Poland doesn't warrant expedite either.

i get all you say and i agree overall. but what makes you think that "having to work in Poland doesn't warrant expedite either"?

Please understand, we would not ask to expedite the EAD but to expedite the AP instead. As mentioned, she couldn't care less to work in the US, so we don't really need to expedite the EAD (although i understand it's a "trick" some have used successfully here), because she already has work with her own company (based in Poland), which has clients internationally, not only in Poland btw. So to her, not being able to travel = financial loss. And we're not talking about a few hundred bucks here, but dozens of thousands lost, because her work requires to travel to wherever the wedding takes place. And Chapter 5 says "Severe financial loss to a company or person". So i'm confused, how's that irrelevant, could you explain?

Edited by kloisha

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
6 hours ago, kloisha said:

are you filing based on K1 or spouse AOS? btw we're in Fort Lauderdale and will be processed by Oakland Park field office, which i think has a bit faster processing time than Miami. But still, i believe 6-7 months to be a minimum for get the AP card.

AP and EAD are processed in the National Benefits Center. 

- I filed for AOS based on K-1 back in September 2019 in the Miami office. I haven’t heard anything from them since. 26 months waiting. 
- I filed for AP in September 2019 and it was approved in May 2020. It took 8 months. It expired  on 5/5/21.
- My cousin will be getting married in June 2022, so in March 2021 I applied to renew the AP.  That’s 8 months. It’s still pending. 

Edited by Gomast

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Unfortunately, you did what you did and now it is what it is.  Better to talk through all the possibiities/downfalls with your wife.  Trying to justify the reasons for expedited AP to yourself is unlikely to fly with USCIS.  Better to try at least.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Good Luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
8 hours ago, kloisha said:

thanks. i guess we'll consider this idea of getting a combo card, even if that job will be temporary. do you know the processing time in such a situation? 

It will still take a while cause many people are trying to expedite these days so better start looking today. And btw. I never said she needs to start working. She just needs a job offer.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Filed with the I-485, here in USA. Abandoning the AOS application would mean to live abroad for an extended time (my understanding is 2 years or more), which is not really an option. This whole thread was more about find way to expedite the EAD/AP combo card. I understand that financial hardship is an angle that we could use. My wife has still her business in Poland (she's a floral and event designer for weddings actually). She had signed a contract for a wedding next May and frankly she was hoping to be able to travel back to Poland to do that assignment, and then attend her brother's wedding in June. Since cancelling that contract she has with this couple to decorate their wedding (budget > $10,000), couldn't she use that has a potential financial hardship for not being able to travel to Poland and thereby have her business lose a client, and possibly also her reputation with the wedding planner for cancelling a client like that just a few months before the ceremony?

Wait...

Your wife did not enter on a K1 fiance visa, correct?

Did you file the I-130 and I-130a after you got married?  Or did you just file the I-485?

8 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Wait...

Your wife did not enter on a K1 fiance visa, correct?

Did you file the I-130 and I-130a after you got married?  Or did you just file the I-485?

9 hours ago, Kor2USA said:

I'm suggesting you abandon/cancel your AOS application and just have her stay here in the States as a tourist and go home before February 7. 

BTW, did you file the I-130/I-130A  with the I-485 or did you file an I-130/I-130A before your wife came to the US. 

Filed with the I-485, here in USA. Abandoning the AOS application would mean to live abroad for an extended time (my understanding is 2 years or more), which is not really an option. This whole thread was more about find way to expedite the EAD/AP combo card. I understand that financial hardship is an angle that we could use. My wife has still her business in Poland (she's a floral and event designer for weddings actually). She had signed a contract for a wedding next May and frankly she was hoping to be able to travel back to Poland to do that assignment, and then attend her brother's wedding in June. Since cancelling that contract she has with this couple to decorate their wedding (budget > $10,000), couldn't she use that has a potential financial hardship for not being able to travel to Poland and thereby have her business lose a client, and possibly also her reputation with the wedding planner for cancelling a client like that just a few months before the ceremony?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
11 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Did you file the I-130 and I-130a after you got married?

If not, that really blows a hole in the bottom of the boat, doesn't it?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

5 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

If not, that really blows a hole in the bottom of the boat, doesn't it?

From what i understand the OP either was married to his wife or married her after she entered  the States  (on a B2 visa)and they filed AOS.... 

either way they entered the States and had the idea to AOS to circumvent the long wait at the embassy... and now she wants to return to Poland to work and attend her brother's wedding. 

Edited by Kor2USA

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Kor2USA said:

From what i understand the OP either was married to his wife of married her after she entered  the States  (on a B2 visa)and they filed AOS.... 

either way they entered the States and had the idea to AOS to circumvent the long wait at the embassy... and now she wants to return to Poland to work and attend her brother's wedding. 

Agree.  My point is that, unless it was a K-1 (and married within 90 days), then an approved I-130 MUST be the underlying grounds for adjustment.  If the OP failed to file an I-130, the the adjustment and the I-131 will be denied......

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Just now, Crazy Cat said:

My point is that, unless it was a K-1 (and married within 90 days), then an approved I-130 MUST be the underlying grounds for adjustment.  

From my understanding of the timeline, the OP filed an I-130 and and I130A alongside the AOS last week (after his wife arrived in the States on a B1/B2 visa and her I94 expires in February next year). 

Timeline
Just now, Kor2USA said:

From my understanding of the timeline, the OP filed an I-130 and and I130A alongside the AOS last week (after his wife arrived in the States on a B1/B2 visa and her I94 expires in February next year). 

Got it.....Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.