kloisha

Wife's brother in Poland is getting married, what to do? AP/I-131 topic

86 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Are you a fortune teller?  How can you be so sure that she will have AP by June 2022 which is in 7 months?

wedding is on June 19, so technically in exactly 8 months. but that's exactly my worry, that due to covid processing time might get even crazier. getting an AP used to last 4-5 months, but right now it seems to be around 7 months, hence my stress

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why I suggested putting the wedding back

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Why I suggested putting the wedding back

Well it's the brothers wedding. They're not exactly in a position to demand this 😉

Timeline

Seems brother and sister are very close

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Seems brother and sister are very close

Depending on when the decision for the date was made and how far the planning is already advanced I wouldn't change everything around now. But well, that's not on us to discuss 😁

I made a suggestion on how to get a possible expedite earlier. It's an option for OPs wife to discover.

37 minutes ago, kloisha said:

wedding is on June 19, so technically in exactly 8 months. but that's exactly my worry, that due to covid processing time might get even crazier. getting an AP used to last 4-5 months, but right now it seems to be around 7 months, hence my stress

correction, i meant it's in exactly 7 months

1 hour ago, Letspaintcookies said:

She could apply for jobs and could ask for an expedite for the ead when she gets a job offer. Usually ( but not guaranteed) they'll approve both and give her a combo card.

thanks for this first constructive comment, as neither postponing her brother's wedding (not our decision to make), nor staying in Poland and apply for a spousal visa are viable options.

2 hours ago, Letspaintcookies said:

She could apply for jobs and could ask for an expedite for the ead when she gets a job offer. Usually ( but not guaranteed) they'll approve both and give her a combo card.

she's not really seeking a job at the moment as she rather plans on opening her own business as a floral designer. would you suggest we drop filing i-765 together with i-131, hoping uscis officers handle petitions faster when the immigrant is not trying to get a job before getting the actual green card? i mean, in my mind, a uscis officer working on a case, would more easily grant an AP for travel than a work permit (there's always that tacit suspicion that "immigrants steal americans jobs"...). in other words, if she's not applying for a job as in your suggestion (because this would be "faking" it, she's not looking to work for a company but start her own), if an officer faces a package that does NOT contain an i-131 (must be rare, but surely happens), don't you think processing i-765 should be faster since, after all, granting AP isn't such a big deal as granting the right to work...

Edited by kloisha

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, aaron2020 said:

Are you a fortune teller?  How can you be so sure that she will have AP by June 2022 which is in 7 months?  

Should he tell his wife not to worry and that she will have AP for her brother's wedding?  Should they get plane tickets? 

No chance of relying on having AP by June 2022 blowing up in his face, right?

Please.

I did not tell him to get plane tickets. 

However, I'm positive he will have AP by June. I watched trends during peak of COVID. That's how I made my analysis. During that time, it was taking 8 months. I know this too because 3 of my friends applied in October 2020 and had AP by May/ June 2021. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

2 minutes ago, Timona said:

I did not tell him to get plane tickets. 

However, I'm positive he will have AP by June. I watched trends during peak of COVID. That's how I made my analysis. During that time, it was taking 8 months. I know this too because 3 of my friends applied in October 2020 and had AP by May/ June 2021. 

her brother's weeding is June 19 and we sent her package last week. so really, that's in 7 months, and that's if we leave just a day or two before the wedding. obviously i'm crossing fingers, but also concerned that we're not really out of covid yet and uscis officers are facing tremendous backlogs. so 8 months in 2020-2021 may be still 7 months in 2021-2022, hence our stress. hopefully you're right, but if it does take 7 months, it could be literally a matter of a few days around that wedding date....

Timeline
11 minutes ago, kloisha said:

she's not really seeking a job at the moment as she rather plans on opening her own business as a floral designer. would you suggest we drop filing i-765 together with i-131, hoping uscis officers handle petitions faster when the immigrant is not trying to get a job before getting the actual green card? i mean, in my mind, a uscis officer working on a case, would more easily grant an AP for travel than a work permit (there's always that tacit suspicion that "immigrants steal americans jobs"...). in other words, if she's not applying for a job as in your suggestion (because this would be "faking" it, she's not looking to work for a company but start her own), if an officer faces a package that does NOT contain an i-131 (must be rare, but surely happens), don't you think processing i-765 should be faster since, after all, granting AP isn't such a big deal as granting the right to work...

It is a processing issue, they check you have filled in the boxes and qualify and issue it. By the time you get that far it is a couple of minutes.

Family has to understand that will have to miss the wedding and they should post-pone if they all want to be there. It won't be ready in 7 months. Even before covid that was really tight. 

If they don't want to move the wedding, then maybe invite them to the US to visit after they get married. If you are not spending on your own tickets, get tickets for them. 

Leaving AOS to go to the wedding would be pretty silly at this point. It's not only a ton of money, but CR1 is taking 2 years.

Edited by Coco8

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.