Tara&Misha

Avoid health insurance gap when moving from the Netherlands to the US

6 posts in this topic

There are a number of threads on the topic of health insurance, but I couldn't find one that exactly matches our situation. My wife (US citizen) and I live and work in the Netherlands, and as such we are insured here. Our plan is to move to the US in December 2021 or January 2022, depending on the exact date of the IR-1 visa approval.

I've contacted my health insurance in the Netherlands, and it turns out I will lose coverage as soon as I no longer live in the Netherlands (e.g. from the date that I de-register with the city, which, at the latest, coincides with the termination of our rental contract). In order to avoid a "gap" in our health insurance coverage, we will need to make sure our US-based insurance starts on the day that our Dutch health insurance stops. Since my wife does not yet have a job in the US, she does not have health coverage there that we could add me to. And as far as I understand it, one can only apply for insurance on the market place if you already live in the US, and also only on specific dates (e.g. the end of the year).

The question is: how do I avoid a gap in my insurance coverage?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

we, who have policies here,  are able to change them Now (end of the year)

but anytime u have a life changing event (moving to US,  getting married,  having a baby) you are able to purchase or change a policy

your wife , since she needs a US income to sponsor u,  could make the move and when able ,  get herself on company plan and add u later when u arrive

or look into going thru the Marketplace

FYI

How long after you start a job do you get insurance?

Waiting periods: When you start a job, employers can have waiting periods of up to 90 days before your health insurance begins. During this time, you do not pay premiums or get any health care services from your employer.

1 hour ago, Tara&Misha said:

as far as I understand it, one can only apply for insurance on the market place if you already live in the US, and also only on specific dates (e.g. the end of the year).

You may get health insurance coverage from the marketplace as soon as you move to the US.  You will qualify for special enrollment period because immigration to the US is a qualifying life event -- https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage-outside-open-enrollment/special-enrollment-period/

Hi @JeanneAdil, thanks for the answer, it's good to know about the 90-day waiting period, I wasn't aware of that. My wife has some savings, which were enough to sponsor my visa, so she doesn't strictly need to get a job before we move. This does mean that she currently does not have a US-based employer or an option for insurance. She could move before I do to get a job/health insurance, but we prefer to move together.

Thanks also @Chancy, good to know about the life changing event thing, I'll look into that. Ideally we'd apply for insurance before we move to the US, so that the coverage starts on day 1.

For the first few weeks we will be staying at my wife's parents house, until all our stuff ships overseas. Would it be an option to register for health care on my wife's parents address?

16 minutes ago, Tara&Misha said:

Ideally we'd apply for insurance before we move to the US, so that the coverage starts on day 1.

If not through a workplace health insurance plan, it will be tough to apply before you move because you will need to present proof of your immigration status, which you can only get after US entry.  Then after you apply, your coverage will start after about a month.

Check this thread for more info on getting insurance through ACA marketplace --

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.