jacobson00

Can you send the completed and signed I-131 re-entry permit a week or two before travelling to the US? ?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Senegal
Timeline

My father would like to apply for the I-131 re-entry permit but can only stay for a month. Can we mail his completed form from the US before he can come 1 week or two before? He was worried about not being able to do the fingerprints within a month of sending it.

Also what are the chances you will do your fingerprints within two months?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi,

What is your father's situation?  Does he have a green card and had stayed outside the US for more than a year?  Or is he inside the US and wants to travel during Adjustment of Status?

Timeline

he is a green card holder. has been out the country for 4 months and coming back end of November. He wanted to apply and be out for more than a year for family reasons.

Timeline
26 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Hi,

What is your father's situation?  Does he have a green card and had stayed outside the US for more than a year?  Or is he inside the US and wants to travel during Adjustment of Status?

he is outsite for 4 months and is a green card holder

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
5 hours ago, jacobson00 said:

and be out for more than a year for family reasons.

I’d be careful. It can jeopardize his status. If he’s out of the country for more than one year, he can lose his status and it would need to be reinstated. The I-131 is only used when people don’t have a green card yet. Once you have a green card, that’s your travel document, but there are restrictions as to how much time you can spend outside of the U.S

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
6 hours ago, jacobson00 said:

he is a green card holder. has been out the country for 4 months and coming back end of November. He wanted to apply and be out for more than a year for family reasons.

Oh, I understand now.  The re-entry permit is for the next trip outside the US.

The issue will be timing.  USCIS has been very slow recently.  It might even take 6 weeks just to get a notice that they received his application.

1 hour ago, ra0010 said:

If he’s out of the country for more than one year, he can lose his status and it would need to be reinstated. The I-131 is only used when people don’t have a green card yet.

Form I-131 is also used by green card holders to apply for re-entry permit, which is exactly the document needed to be able to stay outside the US for more than a year without abandoning LPR status.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Form I-131 is also used by green card holders to apply for re-entry permit, which is exactly the document needed to be able to stay outside the US for more than a year without abandoning LPR status.

Ok. I thought I’d read about a Sb permit or so?

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

1 minute ago, ra0010 said:

I thought I’d read about a Sb permit or so?

SB1 visa is for returning residents who stayed outside the US for an extended period due to reasons beyond their control, usually unplanned.  LPR with re-entry permit do not need to apply for SB1 visa if they return to the US while their permit is valid (usually 2 years).

Timeline
40 minutes ago, Chancy said:

SB1 visa is for returning residents who stayed outside the US for an extended period due to reasons beyond their control, usually unplanned.  LPR with re-entry permit do not need to apply for SB1 visa if they return to the US while their permit is valid (usually 2 years).

Thank you for enlightening me!

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

2 hours ago, ra0010 said:

The I-131

https://www.uscis.gov/i-131 "Use this form to apply for a re-entry permit, refugee travel document, advance parole travel document (including parole into the U.S. for humanitarian reasons), or advance permission to travel for CNMI long-term residents."

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/B5en.pdf

A reentry permit establishes that you did not intend to abandon status, and it allows you to apply for admission to the United States after traveling abroad for up to 2 years without having to obtain a returning resident visa. Reentry permits are normally valid for 2 years from the date of issuance.

You may also want to get a reentry permit if you plan on traveling outside the United States and cannot or do not wish to get a passport from your home country. Many countries throughout the world may allow you to use a reentry permit much like you would use a passport—placing necessary visas and entry and exit stamps in the permit—so you may use it as your main travel document. Be sure to check with any country you plan to visit about specific requirements before you travel.

United_States_Travel_Document_Cover_Page

On 10/31/2021 at 4:55 PM, jabwemet said:

I applied on sep 12th for re entry permit based on my Greencard thru fedex.. got my bio metrics notice on oct 7th.. date of biometrics appt  was  26th oct on the notice.. i submitted my fingerprints on 26th oct..

So yours took less than 2 months to actually do the fingerprints?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 8:29 PM, Ousmane2021 said:

So yours took less than 2 months to actually do the fingerprints?

Wondering the same.  Processing times have been all over the board during covid

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.