Wulf

K-1 Requirement/Process Questions

9 posts in this topic

I am filling out the I-129f as the petitioner and I have a few questions.

1. I filled out the "Other Names Used" section with the same information as "Full Name" section. No changes, but just re-entered the info. I know this is option but i want to be EXTRA clear; Does putting it in have the potential to cause any harm or delay to this? Should I leave it blank? Does it matter even in the slightest?

2. "Your Address History" Section is blank for me, given that I've put in my current mailing address which is my permanent address and the only other place I've lived in is outside the US in a Caribbean country since birth. Moved here in 2017 and have had the same Address since. In this instance, I DO NOT have to put in my Caribbean address for history right? Won't cause any harm to the filing process? Also if you recommend that I put it in, should i put from my DOB to the date in 2017 i moved or should i just show relative history and put in like 01/01/2010 till 2017 at the Caribbean address and then 2017 to present? to show 10 years+ of address history. 

3. Can I pay the $535 fee online? Or using my credit/debit card? If so, how?

4. We are hoping to make a July wedding date; Meaning get the K-1 and have her be present in the US by mid-July to make the date. I plan on mailing this in on 11/01/2021. Do you think that date is realistic? She is physically staying in Barbados as of right now and will be there until around June next year.

5. Between now and July, I may end up moving; Meaning the current address and intended address for my fiancé(e)will be incorrect. How would I go about updating this? Would it matter beyond just all my mail from them going to the old address (which is fine, it is still a family address and i'll have full access to it and the mail, etc.) or would it be a larger concern?

6. I am using postal codes for Caribbean islands (Commonwealth of Dominica & Barbados) and the code

7. What needs to be in box 54? This is the description of circumstances of my in-person meeting with my fiancé(e). Do I just need to give a brief "Visited her" description or do I need to give a more detailed "We've known each other since childhood, got together in XXX, Went to XXX, visited during XXX, etc, etc." ? Currently in this box i just have a brief "Reunited in XXXX, Visited again in XXXX in Barbados"

8. For Citizenship, I selected "Birth in the United States" but there is also No. 41 which asks about Certificate of Naturalization. This question - to my knowledge - does not apply to me. Do i still put YES or NO? I put NO, just want to make sure its valid here.

9. I am opting for the passport over the Birth Certificate for #8 of that checklist listed on the K1 Guide Page (Link below). It states: 

Copy of the Birth certificate (front and back) for the US Citizen or a copy of ALL pages of the US Citizen's passport issued with a validity of at least 5 years or a copy of the US Citizen's naturalization certificate (front and back). This is used to establish citizenship.

For this option; I can simply scan each page and staple/bind it together and submit that, right?

Just want to ask these questions now prior to submitting - I'd like as near perfect as possible to ensure no delays in the process. Thanks for your time!

Edited by Wulf

Sorry, I can no longer edit the post - But #6 is not complete and #10 is missing; Please see below

6. I am using postal codes for Caribbean islands (Commonwealth of Dominica & Barbados). I am leaving the ZIP CODE clear; Using ZIP for US addresses and postal code for Caribbean. Is that acceptable? Also the Postal code does not have enough space for the " - " included in them; I am going to assume this isn't an issue as its silently implied; However, I would again like to be very cautious and avoid delays; Should i hand-write these postal codes with the " - " or would it not matter or cause any issues? (eg. 00109-8000 would be written as 001098000 if digitally entered in, should i handwrite it as exactly 00109-8000?)

10. Does it matter if i use USPS or FedEx/UPS for this mailing?

Just want to ask these questions now prior to submitting - I'd like as near perfect as possible to ensure no delays in the process. Thanks for your time!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

Put N/A for other names used.
I think you need to put all addresses for the last 5 years whether inside or outside us. Can put from dob to 2017, if it’s within five years, if not can put n/a.

We filled petition last year October and my interview is scheduled for this month, so it takes awhile, might have to postpone wedding for little bit. 

For meeting part describe one meeting durning the last 2 years, use space that’s given. You can mention that you known each other since xxxx, started dating at xxxx, then describe shortly last visit, when, where, how long,, or something like that, cannot really make mistake. 
Changing address is no problem, your fiancé will put new address in ds160. And there is a way to change mailing address online on uscis website. 

As for passport i think pages that contain informations and numbers are enough, don’t think you need every single page anymore. But not 100% on that. You are us citizen by birth, so no to naturalization certificate.

Dun really understand the zip/postal code question, but you can hand write if you wish :). I see ppl recommending using blank ink pen. Use correct code for address/area and you will be fine. I don’t really understand the difference between zip and postal code in usa, for same address we put the same number in both sections ;p..

We payed with check. Don’t think you can pay online. With credit card i think you need to attach some form for authorization for credit card transaction that you can download from uscis website. 

On 10/31/2021 at 7:52 AM, Wulf said:

We are hoping to make a July wedding date; Meaning get the K-1 and have her be present in the US by mid-July to make the date. I plan on mailing this in on 11/01/2021. Do you think that date is realistic? She is physically staying in Barbados as of right now and will be there until around June next year.

Not practical.  If you want to plan a wedding, K-1 is not the way to go.

On 10/31/2021 at 7:52 AM, Wulf said:

4. We are hoping to make a July wedding date; Meaning get the K-1 and have her be present in the US by mid-July to make the date. I plan on mailing this in on 11/01/2021. Do you think that date is realistic? She is physically staying in Barbados as of right now and will be there until around June next year.

Immigration and time requirements do not work well together.   Other than filing a complete and accurate petition initially, you have absolutely no control on getting any approval at or on or near any certain date. 

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
2 hours ago, Wulf said:

Awesome! Thank you so much for the feedback. I do have one more question; Is there a preferred shipping method? Do I need to do USPS or could i do FexEx or UPS? I know this question seems straight forward but again i just want to know if there are any known pros or cons to one option over the other?

You can use any, just use one with tracking.

Also, make sure that the check is made accurately. Read a day ago someone sent the package and wrote the check wrong. Small things can be missed more often than not

• Jan 26, 2021 = NOA 1 for I-129F (K1 Visa application)
  • Sep 8, 2021 = NOA 2 for I-129F (K1 Visa application)
  • Nov 16, 2021 =  K1 visa issued in Islamabad, Pakistan
  • Jan 20, 2022 = POE Dallas, Texas
  • Feb 14, 2022 = AOS (I-451, I-131, I765) Filed
  • Feb 20, 2022 = Receipt notice for all three received
  • March 21, 2022 = Biometrics in Dallas, Texas
  • August 9, 2022 = EAD (I-751 approved)
  • August 13, 2022 = EAD and SSN received (SSN applied with EAD)
  • September 6, 2022 = AP (I-131 approved)
  • September 13, 2022 = AP (I-131 receieved) 
  • March 15, 2023 = I-485 approved (interview waived, New SSN received without DHS wording)
  • March 31, 2023 = GC in hand (Total time from NOA-1 to GC in hand 794 days)

On 11/5/2021 at 5:21 PM, mitzab said:

You can use any, just use one with tracking.

Also, make sure that the check is made accurately. Read a day ago someone sent the package and wrote the check wrong. Small things can be missed more often than not

Great, I plan on using the debit/credit card payment form - Sound good? Comments or warnings from anyone? Has anyone done that before?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.