Puppythecat

Least bad airport layover in age of Covid

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does anyone know if she will have to recheck bags when changing planes at Narita airport when flying Manila --> Narita --> O'hare on All Nippon Airways?  Or will they move bags from her first flight to her second for her?  

I've always flown with carry-on only when flying internationally and I can't find anything specific about this route.  Apparently depending on airline and country you might have to claim bags during layover and check them in to next flight yourself?

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Puppythecat said:

Does anyone know if she will have to recheck bags when changing planes at Narita airport when flying Manila --> Narita --> O'hare on All Nippon Airways?  Or will they move bags from her first flight to her second for her?  

I've always flown with carry-on only when flying internationally and I can't find anything specific about this route.  Apparently depending on airline and country you might have to claim bags during layover and check them in to next flight yourself?

If its on the same ticket they will transfer. My fiancee recentlly did Manila, Narita, Dallas. No problems

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Puppythecat said:

If she has a connecting flight from Ohare, she will have to pick up her bags. If you booked a seperate flight to fly to her final destination, she will have to recheck and be subject to any bag fees, etc. from that airline.

If her final destination is Chicago, then no problem.  The bags would be checked all the way to Chicago, and she doesn't have to do anything.

If she had a flight after arriving in Chicago, then one of two things happen.  If the next flight (leaving Chicago) is on the same ticket and the bags are checked to the final destination, then she would pick up and drag her baggage through Customs and then drop them off.  Airports have a drop off point right after Customs for continuing flights.

If her next flight (from Chicago) was a on different ticket, then she would have to recheck them in with the new airline. 

Edited by Talako

Finally done.

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Commish10 said:

If she has a connecting flight from Ohare, she will have to pick up her bags. If you booked a seperate flight to fly to her final destination, she will have to recheck and be subject to any bag fees, etc. from that airline.

Awesome, thanks! I'll be meeting her at O'hare Saturday with some warm clothes to change into and a T-mobile SIMM card :)

I was a bit worried because she only has a 2 hour layover in Narita.

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Puppythecat said:

Awesome, thanks! I'll be meeting her at O'hare Saturday with some warm clothes to change into and a T-mobile SIMM card :)

Just be aware of the new Covid testing procedure. Within 1 day of arriving in the US.

Timeline
34 minutes ago, Commish10 said:

Just be aware of the new Covid testing procedure. Within 1 day of arriving in the US.

Yeah, she has a pcr test scheduled for Friday.  Last thing she has to have before boarding the plane.

1 hour ago, Puppythecat said:

Awesome, thanks! I'll be meeting her at O'hare Saturday with some warm clothes to change into and a T-mobile SIMM card :)

My wife has taken to wearing a heavy fluffy hooded parka in the house.  In San Diego.  With the heater going.

1 hour ago, Puppythecat said:

Japanese are notoriously efficient.  If ANA schedules a 2 hour layover, it's because they are extremely confident they can see to it that their passengers and baggage will make it.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline
51 minutes ago, top_secret said:

My wife has taken to wearing a heavy fluffy hooded parka in the house.  In San Diego.  With the heater going.

Japanese are notoriously efficient.  If ANA schedules a 2 hour layover, it's because they are extremely confident they can see to it that their passengers and baggage will make it.

Guess it's good I ordered a 5 pound wool blanket and set up a space heater on a nightstand next to the bed.  Going to have to take her to North Face and Under Armour for a more longterm solution.  Maybe an electric blanket...

The Japanese are also notoriously efficient at creating red tape.  Probably that will be plenty of time to get through security and to her gate though.  

Just now, Puppythecat said:

Maybe an electric blanket...

Oh, the electric blanket was heralded as the greatest invention in the history of humanity.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, top_secret said:

Oh, the electric blanket was heralded as the greatest invention in the history of humanity.

Ordered🤣

Timeline
15 hours ago, Puppythecat said:

Ordered🤣

Be aware there is a major storm moving into the Philiipines, so check with the airline to see if there will be delays.

Edited by Commish10

Timeline
On 12/14/2021 at 6:05 PM, top_secret said:

"I have some good news.  It's been unusually warm for this time of year in Chicago.  When you land it's predicted to be 2 degrees C ABOVE 0!"

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 10:50 AM, flicks1998 said:

Those are all good points and I agree.  Nothing to worry about.  Also, Qatar was just named the worlds best airport.  I still think Singapore has the best airport , but I agree 100% no issues connecting through UAE, Qatar, and Istanbul.  Istanbul airport is relatively open right now as well.  In my open experience in the middle east, I would think someone in rural America (especially in the South) would have more problems as a mixed race couple then they would as a female, etc in those three countries listed.  Saudi Arabia and a few others would be the exception to the rule. 

I'd vote for Qatar.  They have a 1 stop flight from Cebu to Miami with only a 3 hour layover in Doha. Get's in about 4:30.  You could meet them there. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.