Puppythecat

Least bad airport layover in age of Covid

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does anyone have any experience laying over at any of the Manila to USA airports this year?  I'd like to plan the least stressful trip for my fiance and don't know what kind of corona restrictions they have right now.

Incheon - Normally my #1 choice.  Airport is easy to navigate, can get a delicious bibimbap while waiting.

Haneda - Seemed like the nicer of the two Tokyo airports, has ramen and udon restaurants and attached hotel that wasn't too expensive for long layovers.  I've heard that entering Japan right now is like boarding the train to Auschwitz because of the quarantine requirements but what are the rules for layovers like?

Narita -  Layout seemed a little more difficult to navigate than Haneda and don't remember the restaurants being as good.  

Taipei / Hong Kong  - don't look like an option right now

Istanbul/Abu Dhabi/Dubai/Doha - no just no, wrong direction around world and wouldn't feel safe as a woman alone in any of these countries

Edited by Puppythecat

Least stressful for her would be a direct flight via PAL to LAX or SFO, it is most likely the more expensive option since you would have to deal with two tickets and an airline change at the airport.  You could even fly out to LAX and wait for her to come out of immigration / customs.  

I had a friend who went to the Philippines for the first time and on his trip back his connecting flight had an issue with the plane he had to spend the night in Incheon due to mechanical issues. 

When I transited through Narita earlier this year, none of the restaurants were open. The place was a ghost town. I expect Haneda would be the same. The restaurants won't be open if there isn't enough foot traffic in the airports to justify the expense.

The least stressful option is a direct flight with PAL. Eliminates any worries about layovers.

Timeline

Unfortunately nobody is flying directly from MNL to O'hare.  There was supposed to be that route when the 777ER came out but nobody seems to be flying it.  And for some reason anything involving California has two layovers (LAS - Los Vegas - Chicago, LAX - Atlanta - Chicago, sometimes a second layover in JFK).  I guess I could buy direct LAX to ORD tickets separately (Spirit has tickets for $50-60) but I'm concerned her arrival flight might be delayed and changing airlines might cause baggage issues.

7 hours ago, Puppythecat said:

Unfortunately nobody is flying directly from MNL to O'hare.  There was supposed to be that route when the 777ER came out but nobody seems to be flying it.  And for some reason anything involving California has two layovers (LAS - Los Vegas - Chicago, LAX - Atlanta - Chicago, sometimes a second layover in JFK).  I guess I could buy direct LAX to ORD tickets separately (Spirit has tickets for $50-60) but I'm concerned her arrival flight might be delayed and changing airlines might cause baggage issues.

Dont break up your flights into separate tickets.  Alot of travelers do this  and it can create a nightmare.  Its best to have everything on one record locator.  And Spirit is horrible with baggage fees and every other fee. When you break up flights, you fall under the new airline baggage allowances as well.  It becomes a mess fast.  However, it is much better to connect in the US then it is anywhere else at this time.  As others have stated, one of the PAL flights would be best to avoid any international layover.  You may want to check PAL on their flight from MNL to JFK and then connect to Chicago.  It would be a longer flight but you might be able to get by with only one connection.

Connecting through Asia is possible but as others have said, services are extremely limited and not much is open in these airports you listed.  Also, if something goes wrong (bad weather, plane problems, late flights, etc etc etc), its likely to become stuck in the airport until the next flight (24 hours or 48 hours later).  Airport hotels are usually closed, food places can be extremely limited.  We have had business travelers not listen to this advice and then have found themselves stuck in airports for 1-2 days because they decided to connect in an international airport against our advice.  Luckily they were flying business class and their airlines were able to give them a cot to sleep on, or brought some food to them from the airline employee lounge, but there just are too many things that could go wrong.  Whichever airport you get stuck, immigration will not let you through without meeting those countries Covid requirements.  

If they get stuck in the US, at least airport hotels are open, food is open, etc etc.  

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Good advice about just getting to the US.  I totally agree but if you have to have an international connection, I highly recommend Istanbul.  I have traveled via IST many times (6 times since COVID alone) and I can assure you, it is entirely safe for your fiancée and her daughter.  It is an international hub so it is busy but they will have no worries or issues.  The airport is new, modern, and even has sleeping pods and other facilities for a long layover.  It is one of the nicest airports I have been to and I have travelled a lot.  But it is big - so leave time to walk.  Turkey was only closed from Mar-June 2020 for COVID.  They have been open the rest of the time and while there are some areas of the airport that are closed it is at least 75% operational and she will not have any issues finding food or a sleeping pod.  As long as everything is on 1 ticket and if she misses her next flight because of a delay, Turkish airlines will pay for a meal and a hotel.  She does need to leave the airport so she will need to get a Turkish visa to exit but they provide all of the transportation and again, it is totally safe!   My fiancée is Turkish but i am a blonde, blue eyed, pale American - definitely don't look Turkish.  As a side note, she would be fine on the streets in Turkey, it is safer than most US cities, same with Dubai.

I travelled via Dubai many times before COVID and would highly recommend it.  I never felt unsafe in the airport but I am not sure about the facilities right now.  

18 minutes ago, Vana said:

Good advice about just getting to the US.  I totally agree but if you have to have an international connection, I highly recommend Istanbul.  I have traveled via IST many times (6 times since COVID alone) and I can assure you, it is entirely safe for your fiancée and her daughter.  It is an international hub so it is busy but they will have no worries or issues.  The airport is new, modern, and even has sleeping pods and other facilities for a long layover.  It is one of the nicest airports I have been to and I have travelled a lot.  But it is big - so leave time to walk.  Turkey was only closed from Mar-June 2020 for COVID.  They have been open the rest of the time and while there are some areas of the airport that are closed it is at least 75% operational and she will not have any issues finding food or a sleeping pod.  As long as everything is on 1 ticket and if she misses her next flight because of a delay, Turkish airlines will pay for a meal and a hotel.  She does need to leave the airport so she will need to get a Turkish visa to exit but they provide all of the transportation and again, it is totally safe!   My fiancée is Turkish but i am a blonde, blue eyed, pale American - definitely don't look Turkish.  As a side note, she would be fine on the streets in Turkey, it is safer than most US cities, same with Dubai.

I travelled via Dubai many times before COVID and would highly recommend it.  I never felt unsafe in the airport but I am not sure about the facilities right now.  

Those are all good points and I agree.  Nothing to worry about.  Also, Qatar was just named the worlds best airport.  I still think Singapore has the best airport , but I agree 100% no issues connecting through UAE, Qatar, and Istanbul.  Istanbul airport is relatively open right now as well.  In my open experience in the middle east, I would think someone in rural America (especially in the South) would have more problems as a mixed race couple then they would as a female, etc in those three countries listed.  Saudi Arabia and a few others would be the exception to the rule. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

You can book on Philippine Airlines all the way to Chicago via LAX for less than $1000.  The LAX/ORD flight will probably be on American.  One ticket, and American in Terminal 4-5 is a short walk from Tom Bradley Int'l terminal.  There is a free bus too but in this case it is probably easier to walk.  I think you have to clear the checked bags through customs but I think you can then give them back and they will take them to American.  Not sure about that.  Even if they have to get a cart to walk I think the carts are free for Int'l passengers.

For example, see below.  4.5 hour connection time is just about right to allow some time in case MNL flight runs late.

1812048257_Screenshot(453).thumb.png.856e1671d3bb799ee401d9b8365c30a6.png

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Timeline
32 minutes ago, seekingthetruth said:

You can book on Philippine Airlines all the way to Chicago via LAX for less than $1000.  The LAX/ORD flight will probably be on American.  One ticket, and American in Terminal 4-5 is a short walk from Tom Bradley Int'l terminal.  There is a free bus too but in this case it is probably easier to walk.  I think you have to clear the checked bags through customs but I think you can then give them back and they will take them to American.  Not sure about that.  Even if they have to get a cart to walk I think the carts are free for Int'l passengers.

For example, see below.  4.5 hour connection time is just about right to allow some time in case MNL flight runs late.

That might be my best option.  How did you get the flight to come up?  Whenever I search for a one-way MNL to ORD on philippineairlines.com it shows not available no matter what date I select.

If I can't get that flight to work it's starting to look like my options are either

1) international layover (the Istanbul route is 25 hours in the air lol)

2) 2 layovers in American cities

3) separate tickets

None of which look that appealing.  Traveling to meet her at the arrival airport wouldn't be so bad if the only direct flights from MNL weren't SFO, LAX, and JFK.  It looks like even the direct MNL to Seattle route isn't operating.

Timeline
1 hour ago, seekingthetruth said:

Found some days with that route.  That will be my first choice if it's available when she gets the visa stamp.  Thanks!

23 minutes ago, Puppythecat said:

Found some days with that route.  That will be my first choice if it's available when she gets the visa stamp.  Thanks!

I just randomly picked a date in mid-Nov and there were a few days available, but I only put 1 pax

Spouse

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

On 10/30/2021 at 1:00 AM, Puppythecat said:

Narita -  Layout seemed a little more difficult to navigate than Haneda and don't remember the restaurants being as good.  

Really, from Manila to Chicago at this particular time going through Narita would probably have to be about the best game in town.  It's one fairly easy connection, as far as I know no particularly onerous COVID regulations for transit passengers, and Japanese are generally super friendly and helpful if she needs to ask for assistance making the connection.

I see LAX mentioned and my wife just went through there pretty smoothly, though it took her1 1/2 hours in immigration.  As a port of entry for an inexperienced traveler it is just fine if someone was there to meet them.  But throw in a terminal change and everything that goes with it for a domestic connection and no way would it be as smooth and easy as an international to international connection at Narita.  

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, top_secret said:

Really, from Manila to Chicago at this particular time going through Narita would probably have to be about the best game in town.  It's one fairly easy connection, as far as I know no particularly onerous COVID regulations for transit passengers, and Japanese are generally super friendly and helpful if she needs to ask for assistance making the connection.

I see LAX mentioned and my wife just went through there pretty smoothly, though it took her1 1/2 hours in immigration.  As a port of entry for an inexperienced traveler it is just fine if someone was there to meet them.  But throw in a terminal change and everything that goes with it for a domestic connection and no way would it be as smooth and easy as an international to international connection at Narita.  

That's good news, and about $300 cheaper than the LAX layover.  And I'd be able to meet her at the Chicago port of entry.

I keep seeing MNL -> Narita > Haneda -> ORD routes popping up now and then.  Even in normal times the process is 1) go through customs, 2) find ATM on upper floor that only gives out 10,000 yen ($100) notes, 3) buy train ticket from shop that only takes cash, 4) go to correct train platform and take 1 hour train ride from Narita to Haneda airport.  I wonder how that route works now, maybe a special van to move people from one airport to the other without having them go through customs/quarantine?

24 minutes ago, Puppythecat said:

I keep seeing MNL -> Narita > Haneda -> ORD routes popping up now and then. 

That's a definite no go for a Philippine passport in todays world.  Transfer from NRT to HND not going to happen.   No way no how.  I would probably just fly ANA MNL-NRT-ORD if that was the goal.  ANA is a great airline and it seems the simplest most painless way to get from MNL to ORD.   It's best to buy strait from the airline so if there is a problem you are dealing directly with the airline.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, top_secret said:

That's a definite no go for a Philippine passport in todays world.  Transfer from NRT to HND not going to happen.   No way no how.  I would probably just fly ANA MNL-NRT-ORD if that was the goal.  ANA is a great airline and it seems the simplest most painless way to get from MNL to ORD.   It's best to buy strait from the airline so if there is a problem you are dealing directly with the airline.

Actually that All Nippon Airways Narita route is looking more appealing if American Airlines keeps cancelling flights due to "staffing problems".  I've done the NRT to HND transfer before but it was on an American passport, pre-covid, and on a 23 hour layover so time wasn't a factor.

100-Plus American Airlines Flights Canceled at O'Hare Airport Sunday (msn.com)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.