Kirank

DQ'd, question about Montreal interview process

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

My husband 's petition recently got DQ'd by NVC i am a bit confused about the process from here. My husband who is the beneficiary is on TN visa and Canadian Citizen but he lives in USA with me due to his work.

When we receive the interview letter (hopefully soon), how long should we expect to be in Montreal for? Since im reading that medical process has to be done 1 week before and they will keep his passport? How is he expected to return back to USA to work? Can someone who may have had the similar experience please tell me what kind of timelines they had and how long you had to stay in Montreal for the whole process. Is there a way to fly back to USA and wait for the visa. I am the petitioner do I also have to go to Montreal to the interview with him?

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Check out this Pinned thread, it will have some answers for you. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Kirank said:

Thanks! I read this even though its pretty helpful it didn't have much answers to my specific queries, i was hoping someone with similar situation would be able to give a better picture.

Hopefully someone will come along 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Kirank said:

Hello,

My husband 's petition recently got DQ'd by NVC i am a bit confused about the process from here. My husband who is the beneficiary is on TN visa and Canadian Citizen but he lives in USA with me due to his work.

When we receive the interview letter (hopefully soon), how long should we expect to be in Montreal for? Since im reading that medical process has to be done 1 week before and they will keep his passport? How is he expected to return back to USA to work? Can someone who may have had the similar experience please tell me what kind of timelines they had and how long you had to stay in Montreal for the whole process. Is there a way to fly back to USA and wait for the visa. I am the petitioner do I also have to go to Montreal to the interview with him?

Thank you!

He will need to either take time off work or work remotely. He should get his medical done AT LEAST a week before the interview, but I'd recommend more because the medical not arriving at the consulate on time will extend how long they keep his passport. Afaik he can return to the US after his medical and before his interview, but I'd double check that. After his interview it's an unknown how long they'll keep his passport, the fastest return I've seen was 3 days. It averages under 2 weeks, but anything could happen so I'd have a plan in place in case he needs to stay for a few months. If there is a delay he can request his passport back from the consulate so he can travel, but that will a) take a while for them to return it to him and b) he will still need to return to Canada and give his passport to the consulate once they have finished whatever additional processing caused the delay. As for you going with him, you can if you want, but you won't be allowed in the consulate. 

You'll be in for a wait if your DQ was recent so if you haven't already, come join the chat:

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

I had my interview on Monday. Status changed to ISSUED on Tuesday. I am a Canadian Citizen married to an American and legally living/working in California with an L1 visa. 

I have to stay in Canada until they return my passport. They said 2-3 weeks. It doesn’t matter that I legally live and work in the US. There aren’t exceptions.  I must take vacation and/or work from Canada until I receive my passport back. 

I canceled my return flight to Cali and made arrangements to work remotely and stay in Toronto until I obtain my passport. 

You’re not permitted to attend the interview with your spouse. My husband came with me at the suggestion of our lawyer but they wouldn’t let him into the building. 

I hope that helps. 

Edited by Mjc2021

2 minutes ago, Mjc2021 said:

I had my interview on Monday. Status changed to ISSUED on Tuesday. I am a Canadian Citizen married to an American and legally living/working in California with an L1 visa. 

I have to stay in Canada until they return my passport. They said 2-3 weeks. It doesn’t matter that I legally live and work in the US. There aren’t exceptions.  I must take vacation and/or work from Canada until I receive my passport back. 

I canceled my return flight to Cali and made arrangements to work remotely and stay in Toronto until I obtain my passport. 

You’re not permitted to attend the interview with your spouse. My husband came with me at the suggestion of our lawyer but they wouldn’t let him into the building. 

I hope that helps. 

Also, I did my medical in Vancouver three weeks before my interview. I flew there for 24 hours and flew back since it’s only a 90-min flight.  I was able to obtain and updated RCMP check while I was there too. Of course, I obtained an FBI check as well since I live in the US. 

On 10/28/2021 at 6:55 AM, Mjc2021 said:

Of course, I obtained an FBI check as well since I live in the US. 

That is not needed: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html

Note: Present and former residents of the United States do NOT need to submit any U.S. police certificates.

1 hour ago, HRQX said:

That is not needed: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html

Note: Present and former residents of the United States do NOT need to submit any U.S. police certificates.

My lawyer recommended it and they seemed appreciative of it and asked to keep a copy. 

My passport with visa is en route to me! I will have it exactly 7 days from my interview!! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.