ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Redie said:

Did you email the consulate regarding the expiry date of your medical?

Absolutely I did. I used that as the subject line, and said that in the body. The response given was essentially the same copy-paste response as the previous one in December. It is so frustrating. Another week has gone by and the clock ticks. And finding out that I can't even do my own updated medical without the consulate asking was really disappointing. I don't know what to do. Having a Congressperson's office contact the consulate is absolutely useless, I have been following that and I can say that there really is no good evidence to support the theory that it speeds it along. And so then what? Writ of Mandamus? That is extremely expensive and not even guaranteed. I don't want to go to that, in fact, I don't have the spare money for that.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

Absolutely I did. I used that as the subject line, and said that in the body. The response given was essentially the same copy-paste response as the previous one in December. It is so frustrating. Another week has gone by and the clock ticks. And finding out that I can't even do my own updated medical without the consulate asking was really disappointing. I don't know what to do. Having a Congressperson's office contact the consulate is absolutely useless, I have been following that and I can say that there really is no good evidence to support the theory that it speeds it along. And so then what? Writ of Mandamus? That is extremely expensive and not even guaranteed. I don't want to go to that, in fact, I don't have the spare money for that.

I totally feel your frustration! I just don’t understand why they cannot answer the question. I honestly believe they don’t even read the emails. I have pretty much exhausted all of my resources. You have nothing to lose by contacting your state rep. I honestly think it has helped in certain cases. I personally believe some state reps are  much more aggressive in their inquiries than others.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Redie said:

I totally feel your frustration! I just don’t understand why they cannot answer the question. I honestly believe they don’t even read the emails. I have pretty much exhausted all of my resources. You have nothing to lose by contacting your state rep. I honestly think it has helped in certain cases. I personally believe some state reps are  much more aggressive in their inquiries than others.

My wife doesn't really have much time to do inquiries with rep's offices lately, she is doing 12-13 hour days with her masters practicum and working part time now. I am going to have to arrange all of that myself, but honestly do not believe whatsoever that it makes a difference. There is no power that the House or Senate has over administrative aspects of the immigration process, it is an executive branch function. I think people on here are somehow thinking the consulate will be impressed bc it is a politician's office, but I think this is a fundamental misunderstanding of how things actually work in a bureaucratic setting. In theory, it sounds great. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Redie said:

I honestly believe they don’t even read the emails.

As far as them reading the emails, I think at least in part you are right; they probably just use some simple AI to triage the emails and even the ones that get to a human will just be skimmed over and answered according to some sort of template they have.

Timeline
42 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

My wife doesn't really have much time to do inquiries with rep's offices lately, she is doing 12-13 hour days with her masters practicum and working part time now. I am going to have to arrange all of that myself, but honestly do not believe whatsoever that it makes a difference. There is no power that the House or Senate has over administrative aspects of the immigration process, it is an executive branch function. I think people on here are somehow thinking the consulate will be impressed bc it is a politician's office, but I think this is a fundamental misunderstanding of how things actually work in a bureaucratic setting. In theory, it sounds great. 

You are probably right,  but in my opinion it doesn’t hurt to try. You can even draft the letter, get all the contact information and all she has to do is send it. What do you have to lose.

I know this isn't the right forum for this, but does anyone here have a job for me? I've been unemployed waiting for my visa to start working in the States, but I'll probably be waiting for years, so might as well start working in Canada. I'm from Ontario, but I don't care which province the job is at. I prefer in-person just to get out of Windsor.

Timeline
Just now, Redie said:

You are probably right,  but in my opinion it doesn’t hurt to try. You can even draft the letter, get all the contact information and all she has to do is send it. What do you have to lose.

Nothing to lose, no. I will do that likely next week. But what is lost is when you do an action and it produces no good effect, it is demoralizing. 

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Tony Nikolovski said:

I know this isn't the right forum for this, but does anyone here have a job for me? I've been unemployed waiting for my visa to start working in the States, but I'll probably be waiting for years, so might as well start working in Canada. I'm from Ontario, but I don't care which province the job is at. I prefer in-person just to get out of Windsor.

Lol, If I have any leads I will pass them on to you. I really hope that your visa doesn't take years. Sadly mine has. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ap 5535 said:

Hello everyone ,

interview oct 13-21

issued ds 5535

last update nov19-21 

after that several emails and they don't bother to update status. Congratulation to all who got approve.

Welcome. Looks like you are even longer in it than me. Do you have any idea about what factors might have led you to get the DS-5535?

Timeline
1 hour ago, ice-qube said:

Nothing to lose, no. I will do that likely next week. But what is lost is when you do an action and it produces no good effect, it is demoralizing. 

Agreed!

1 hour ago, ice-qube said:

I do agree with you, it looks like senators/ reps get the same that we get when we email the consulate but at least if someone forgot to do something on your case maybe a rep/senator email could motivate them to do something. I didn’t want to email them but it’s the only help we have, I am on the way to 4 months and worrying about the medical expiration.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Federico said:

I do agree with you, it looks like senators/ reps get the same that we get when we email the consulate but at least if someone forgot to do something on your case maybe a rep/senator email could motivate them to do something. I didn’t want to email them but it’s the only help we have, I am on the way to 4 months and worrying about the medical expiration.

I agree man, it is all we have basically, but it is demoralizing to do an action and then it produce no effect. That is why I don't even really care to do it, I almost dread it. Because I don't really have much else I can do after that.

24 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

Welcome. Looks like you are even longer in it than me. Do you have any idea about what factors might have led you to get the DS-5535?

To be honest with you. I don’t know what factors trigger ds5535 . all i remember officer telling me it will take 2-4 weeks max to resolve this as fast i reply to their email  . I am just keeping your passport for to make things faster. 

Timeline
Just now, Ap 5535 said:

To be honest with you. I don’t know what factors trigger ds5535 . all i remember officer telling me it will take 2-4 weeks max to resolve this as fast i reply to their email  . I am just keeping your passport for to make things faster. 

Amazing... they gave mine back to me. As soon as they did that, I knew it didn't seem good. They did not tell me any timeline, however, the sheet they gave me mentioned please allow 6-8 weeks for an answer. Well, here I am at 14.5 weeks.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.