ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Ontarkie said:

If they don't switch it at the time the visa is issued. WHen they go to print the card it should be switched to the 10 yr card instead of the 2. If not you would just fill out a form and have them correct it. It's a pain but not too big of a pain. 

Thanks. Would it say 'CR-1' or 'IR-1' on the 10-year Green Card that they print? Maybe it will say '10-year CR-1,' even though I think it should just be an IR-1 if it is for 10-years. Also, would I have to pay for the correction when I fill out the form? I don't think that I should pay for something that they forget to update.

6 minutes ago, Tony Nikolovski said:

Thanks. Would it say 'CR-1' or 'IR-1' on the 10-year Green Card that they print? Maybe it will say '10-year CR-1,' even though I think it should just be an IR-1 if it is for 10-years. Also, would I have to pay for the correction when I fill out the form? I don't think that I should pay for something that they forget to update.

If your visa is issued after 2years of marriage, the visa will say IR1 and your green card will be 10 years (this is what happened to me, I applied as CR1). If it's issued before 2 years, it'll say CR1, but if you cross after 2 years of marriage, let the officer know when you're crossing so they can change it. If you don't mention it, it is possible that they won't change it for you, especially if it's not a busy crossing (less experienced officers). If you get CR1 green card, it will only be valid for 2 years and you'll have to do removal of conditions. If it should be IR1 but they give you CR1, you have to contact USCIS and go through that process. Not sure of the details but I'm sure it's easy to find on Google. 

Edited by Danii

9 minutes ago, Loaiza13 said:

Issued!!

This morning my husband's case changed from "refused" to "ready", and a short time later, changed to "issued". That was about 8:30 this morning. I keep checking it just to make sure it hasn't changed back to refused!! We have been doing the whole long distance relationship for over 10 years....I can't believe we finally have been given the approval for him to move here!!

Here is the breakdown of our time line:

DQ - 2/2/21

Interview Letter - 10/14/21

Interview - 11/9/21 (put in AP)

Case Updates - 11/17, 11/19, 12/17, 12/23, 1/18, 2/9, 2/10

Issued - 2/10/22

Congratulations!!

8 minutes ago, Danii said:

If your visa is issued after 2years of marriage, the visa will say IR1 and your green card will be 10 years (this is what happened to me, I applied as CR1). If it's issued before 2 years, it'll say CR1, but if you cross after 2 years of marriage, let the officer know when you're crossing so they can change it. If you don't mention it, it is possible that they won't change it for you, especially if it's not a busy crossing (less experienced officers). If you get CR1 green card, it will only be valid for 2 years and you'll have to do removal of conditions. If it should be IR1 but they give you CR1, you have to contact USCIS and go through that process. Not sure of the details but I'm sure it's easy to find on Google. 

I appreciate your detailed answer. Did you ever login to CEAC and see it change from CR to IR, or was the first time you saw the change when you physically got your Green Card? I ask because I check every now and then on CEAC to see if it changed, but it remains CR-1 even though 2 years has passed (visa is not yet issued).

2 minutes ago, Tony Nikolovski said:

I appreciate your detailed answer. Did you ever login to CEAC and see it change from CR to IR, or was the first time you saw the change when you physically got your Green Card? I ask because I check every now and then on CEAC to see if it changed, but it remains CR-1 even though 2 years has passed (visa is not yet issued).

No problem! I actually switched to IR1 before my interview was scheduled, so I didn't see the switch on ceac case tracker. I did notice it change on the ceac site where you submit documents though! If it doesn't change to IR1 the day your status changes to issued, I would send in a public inquiry to Montreal and tell them it should be IR1. It normally takes a few days from issued to the printing of the visa so they'll be able to make that change if they forgot. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
43 minutes ago, Randomwalk said:

Thank you. The RCMP police certificate says that it has one year validity. Does any here had their Canadian police expired and was asked to send to Montreal or upload to NVC please? 

my dad visa was approved this week. He did his police cert in August 2020. So fair enough to its two years now.

29 minutes ago, Loaiza13 said:

Issued!!

This morning my husband's case changed from "refused" to "ready", and a short time later, changed to "issued". That was about 8:30 this morning. I keep checking it just to make sure it hasn't changed back to refused!! We have been doing the whole long distance relationship for over 10 years....I can't believe we finally have been given the approval for him to move here!!

Here is the breakdown of our time line:

DQ - 2/2/21

Interview Letter - 10/14/21

Interview - 11/9/21 (put in AP)

Case Updates - 11/17, 11/19, 12/17, 12/23, 1/18, 2/9, 2/10

Issued - 2/10/22

congrats! that is awesome news!

Edited by BatmanFlow

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Timeline

Just wondering if you have an emergency and need to travel, can you ask the consulate to return your passport? Has anyone in this forum ever done this?

5 minutes ago, Redie said:

Just wondering if you have an emergency and need to travel, can you ask the consulate to return your passport? Has anyone in this forum ever done this?

Yes it has been done! The CO at Montreal even told me that if I need my passport back, I should contact them and they'll set up the delivery. I think using the public inquiry form would get things going faster than an email. 

37 minutes ago, Danii said:

No problem! I actually switched to IR1 before my interview was scheduled, so I didn't see the switch on ceac case tracker. I did notice it change on the ceac site where you submit documents though! If it doesn't change to IR1 the day your status changes to issued, I would send in a public inquiry to Montreal and tell them it should be IR1. It normally takes a few days from issued to the printing of the visa so they'll be able to make that change if they forgot. 

Thanks again. Too bad the CEAC site for document submission hasn't updated for me yet even though my 2-year anniversary was almost 2 weeks ago. I'll do what you recommended if it doesn't update after they issue it (whenever that is).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Tony Nikolovski said:

Danii's reply covered your question pretty good. They should see it if it isn't updated in the system. But even if it does get by them it is an easy fix and no you won't have to pay to have them fix it as it would be there fault. 

Happy Anniversary too 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Hi Everyone. Finally after our waiver was approved in September 2021, the consulate finally asked for my passport in January 2022. I submitted and the still refused because my documents are all expired since my interview was in March 2021. So they are asking for an updated DS-260 and medical. I can’t book a medical because they didn’t activate my e-medical portal and waiting for that. To update ds-260, is it just doing the form again? They said courier documents but didn’t specify. Does anyone know what I should so or has gone through something similar?

16 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

Danii's reply covered your question pretty good. They should see it if it isn't updated in the system. But even if it does get by them it is an easy fix and no you won't have to pay to have them fix it as it would be there fault. 

Happy Anniversary too 

Perfect, thanks for your help.

Timeline
11 hours ago, Frankphoto said:

My wife just received the following email, twice (duplicate messages within seconds of each other)- her status remains refused but this looks promising? Can those of you who were issued verify if this is the email you received? She was given her passport back after the interview with the 221g. 

:::

A U.S. Department of State Consulate officer located in Montreal has indicated that additional documents are required for

[My Wife's name]

Please log into your user account at https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/iv/account and follow the system instructions to generate instructions on how to send Visa application documents to the U.S. consulate.

Processor comments

Dear Applicant,

Our review of the case confirms that we require the following document:

1. Valid passport

If you wish to proceed with your immigration to the United States, please submit your document via courier, per the instructions available here: https://ais.usvisa-info.com. Upon our receipt and review of the new documents, we will contact you with further instructions.

If we receive no new documents from you, your visa application will remain refused per Section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

If you fail to take the action requested within one year following visa denial under Section 221(g), the Section 203(g) of the INA will require termination of the petition on which your visa application was based.

Sincerely,
OP11
Consular Correspondence Unit | Immigrant Visa
U.S. Consulate General
Montreal, Canada

Best regards,

The GDIT Visa Appointment and Information Service Team

Un agent consulaire du Département d'État américain situé à Montreal a indiqué que des documents supplémentaires étaient nécessaires pour

[My Wife's name]

Veuillez vous connecter à votre compte d'utilisateur sur https://ais.usvisa-info.com/fr-ca/iv/account et suivez les instructions du système pour consulter les instructions sur la façon d'envoyer des documents de demande de visa au consulat des États-Unis.

Processor comments

Dear Applicant,

Our review of the case confirms that we require the following document:

1. Valid passport

If you wish to proceed with your immigration to the United States, please submit your document via courier, per the instructions available here: https://ais.usvisa-info.com. Upon our receipt and review of the new documents, we will contact you with further instructions.

If we receive no new documents from you, your visa application will remain refused per Section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

If you fail to take the action requested within one year following visa denial under Section 221(g), the Section 203(g) of the INA will require termination of the petition on which your visa application was based.

Sincerely,
OP11
Consular Correspondence Unit | Immigrant Visa
U.S. Consulate General
Montreal, Canada

Cordialement,

L'équipe rendez-vous visa et service d'information de GDIT

This looks like good news if they are asking for your wife's passport. Hopefully, she will be approved soon. All the best!

Edited by Unlockable
Quoted edited post

Timeline
1 hour ago, Danii said:

Yes it has been done! The CO at Montreal even told me that if I need my passport back, I should contact them and they'll set up the delivery. I think using the public inquiry form would get things going faster than an email. 

Thanks Danii. I appreciate you answering my question.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.