ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

So consulate finally replied to one of my two emails…with the same copy-pasta as before. 
image.thumb.png.228ebf1084d9bece470f3ddb4aa2e454.png

The most infuriating part is the last line hoping their non-reply was “helpful”

Timeline
9 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

The most infuriating part is the last line hoping their non-reply was “helpful”

Oh yes so helpful. Is this not the exact same email they sent me before?? I am pretty sure it is...

1 hour ago, ice-qube said:

So consulate finally replied to one of my two emails…with the same copy-pasta as before. 
image.thumb.png.228ebf1084d9bece470f3ddb4aa2e454.png

I came here to ask you if you have something new and you got the same no answer reply. Another week without any update. Hope you all a nice weekend.

Alright, I drove over. Alberta to Southern California.

If anyone is making a trip watch out for those "freedom convoys" they block sections of highway and make it excruciating long to get to the border. (Avoid Sweet Grass)

I waited an hour for the greencard "paperwork". They asked me 0 questions except for where I am receiving mail in the states. Didn't ask for contents of the car (It was obviously suitcases) They wernt mean, they wernt nice. They looked up the vehicle I was driving + registration/insurance..etc. If you arnt driving your own car (which you will eventually have to register in the states and pay the tax) you need a note from the owner of the car with a brief description + photo of their drivers ID + contact info.

My wife got a call from USCIS asking about my income in Canada while the Border control guys finished up my "paperwork". 

Before they handed me back my passport, they told me it's a felony if I don't have my green card (or the temporary stamp in my passport they gave me until the card arrives) on me at all times. They also told me to log my dates of entry and duration into the states. They also told me to ask permission before leaving the states on any circumstances. I don't know if I got someone strict but there it is.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, DS5535 said:

If anyone is making a trip watch out for those "freedom convoys" they block sections of highway and make it excruciating long to get to the border. (Avoid Sweet Grass)

I waited an hour for the greencard "paperwork". They asked me 0 questions except for where I am receiving mail in the states. Didn't ask for contents of the car (It was obviously suitcases) They wernt mean, they wernt nice. They looked up the vehicle I was driving + registration/insurance..etc. If you arnt driving your own car (which you will eventually have to register in the states and pay the tax) you need a note from the owner of the car with a brief description + photo of their drivers ID + contact info.

My wife got a call from USCIS asking about my income in Canada while the Border control guys finished up my "paperwork". 

Before they handed me back my passport, they told me it's a felony if I don't have my green card (or the temporary stamp in my passport they gave me until the card arrives) on me at all times. They also told me to log my dates of entry and duration into the states. They also told me to ask permission before leaving the states on any circumstances. I don't know if I got someone strict but there it is.

Congratulations on your border crossing and Thanks for this review.

I intend to cross this coming weekend and nervous about the convoys. They are currently in Toronto, and not sure if they are they border crossing around here…

2 hours ago, DS5535 said:

Congratulations.

3 hours ago, DS5535 said:

Congrats!! You definitely got someone really strict. I went through customs at Toronto Pearson and it took 5 minutes for me. They didn't ask any questions, nor told me any of the other things you were told, so that's odd. I do carry my passport around with me as it's probably the only ID accepted here. Asking for permission 🤔 that's very odd. I also wonder why they asked your wife for your income? I don't see how that's relevant, and also why they couldn't have asked you. Maybe post this again in the main Montreal Visajourney thread as people regularly post their crossing experiences there and may have gone through the same thing.

Edited by Danii

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Danii said:

Congrats!! You definitely got someone really strict. I went through customs at Toronto Pearson and it took 5 minutes for me. They didn't ask any questions, nor told me any of the other things you were told, so that's odd. I do carry my passport around with me as it's probably the only ID accepted here. Asking for permission 🤔 that's very odd. I also wonder why they asked your wife for your income? I don't see how that's relevant, and also why they couldn't have asked you. Maybe post this again in the main Montreal Visajourney thread as people regularly post their crossing experiences there and may have gone through the same thing.

Yes, this all sounds weird.

Honestly CBP officers often aren’t very bright or well trained, and from what I have heard those posted at POEs with fewer people crossing with immigrant visas aren’t familiar with what to do, so figure it out as they go, and maybe even make things up lol

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline
On 2/5/2022 at 10:17 AM, DS5535 said:

CONGRATSSSS!! I'm also planning on crossing the border next Monday, Coutts (sweetgrass) is the closest one to me, I currently live in Calgary so hopefully the convoy has dissolved a bit more by then. Did they ask you anything about your vehicle? I have a compliance letter from Toyota. Did you fill out any other paperwork in terms of bringing your vehicle down there? 

Edited by Linzychuk

37 minutes ago, Linzychuk said:

CONGRATSSSS!! I'm also planning on crossing the border next Monday, Coutts (sweetgrass) is the closest one to me, I currently live in Calgary so hopefully the convoy has dissolved a bit more by then. Did they ask you anything about your vehicle? I have a compliance letter from Toyota. Did you fill out any other paperwork in terms of bringing your vehicle down there? 

I'm from Calgary too, it's actually insane at Coutts. The Del Bonito guys were talking about it while I was there. Good luck at Coutts,

The vehicle is my wife's (USA bought and registered in USA) so we didn't have to deal with an car stuff. Although going to Canada we had to do an inspection and register it at a registry after 6 months.

Btw, before you leave get a shawarma from Jimmy's A&A and a boston cream doughnut from glenmorgan bakery. I regret not doing that before I left.

Timeline
On 2/5/2022 at 12:17 PM, DS5535 said:

Congrats on the crossing!! Thank you for writing such a detailed review. Hope you have a lovely life in America!!

Filed: E-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, hkn1 said:

Congrats on the crossing!! Thank you for writing such a detailed review. Hope you have a lovely life in America!!

Good morning everyone, Wishing you all safe border crossing for the ones who have received their passports. For the rest of us who are waiting for their passports, wishing you all good luck and hopefully this is the week we will receive it!!

Timeline

102 days since submission, nada except the copy-paste email from Friday. I am going to have to consider what can be done with the medical that expires March 20--usually when you go to the immigration doctor they ask when your interview is. Does anyone have knowledge about how one can pre-emptively get a new medical and have it sent to the consulate instead of waiting for them to send you demand for it?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.