ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: E-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Sorrel said:

We are also EB1 waiting for our interview.  If the DS5535 did relate to your medical, and your medical was valid at the time of the interview, it would seem unreasonable that they would fault you for their delay in processing.  Were you just missing an original document?  There is also a separate forum for EB's and a spread sheet with our timelines.

Our medical was completed and received by the consulate before the interview. All our original documents were in order. CO also said he is approving our case and we received the DS5535 later in the day. Would you be able to share the link for the EB forum? Thanks for your help

Hi! I'm new to this thread, but read all the posts from page 1. Well I had my interview on December 16th and received the email on the same day. I sent the replies later that day. No changes since December 21st. I had TN visa before applying IR1. Did anyone have TN before applying? Wish I knew about VJ before. I only found out recently. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
40 minutes ago, Sorrel said:

We are also EB1 waiting for our interview.  If the DS5535 did relate to your medical, and your medical was valid at the time of the interview, it would seem unreasonable that they would fault you for their delay in processing.  Were you just missing an original document?  There is also a separate forum for EB's and a spread sheet with our timelines.

DS-5535 is unrelated to medicals. It is issued to applicants suspected of being a threat to national security. It is issued seemingly at random to certain individuals, but we believe from all the reading we have done that there is an algorithm that targets individuals based on various criteria.

When you are missing a medical you are issued a 221G and refused until the medicals come in and they review them and process your application.

Timeline
22 minutes ago, nyctor said:

Hi! I'm new to this thread, but read all the posts from page 1. Well I had my interview on December 16th and received the email on the same day. I sent the replies later that day. No changes since December 21st. I had TN visa before applying IR1. Did anyone have TN before applying? Wish I knew about VJ before. I only found out recently. 

Sorry to hear you were issued the DS-5535, but glad you found this thread. Hope we can offer support and some information while you wait.

I don’t think anyone else here who was issued a DS-5535 had a TN visa. But we have had IR1/CR1 cases of people with TN visas either before application of IR1/CR1 and simultaneous as their IR1/CR1.

If you are wondering whether the TN triggered the DS-5535, from what I know, almost certainly no. However a lot of people with TN visas are in stem sciences and having an education/ work history in stem fields along with match (name/ DOB/ photo etc) to the database of people deemed to be national security risk, could trigger DS-5535.

57 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Our medical was completed and received by the consulate before the interview. All our original documents were in order. CO also said he is approving our case and we received the DS5535 later in the day. Would you be able to share the link for the EB forum? Thanks for your help

Are you in any of the categories that fall within the TAL (Technology Alert List)?  If you go to forums on the top left corner and put in EB Canada it should bring you to the forum.    

47 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Sorry to hear you were issued the DS-5535, but glad you found this thread. Hope we can offer support and some information while you wait.

I don’t think anyone else here who was issued a DS-5535 had a TN visa. But we have had IR1/CR1 cases of people with TN visas either before application of IR1/CR1 and simultaneous as their IR1/CR1.

If you are wondering whether the TN triggered the DS-5535, from what I know, almost certainly no. However a lot of people with TN visas are in stem sciences and having an education/ work history in stem fields along with match (name/ DOB/ photo etc) to the database of people deemed to be national security risk, could trigger DS-5535.

Ah I see- thank you. I have math edu background so I guess that's why...

Timeline
10 minutes ago, nyctor said:

Ah I see- thank you. I have math edu background so I guess that's why...

Yeah unfortunately no one can identify why they were targeted exactly.

Mathematics is not squarely in the Technology Alert List (TAL), so not sure if that was the trigger for you. 

https://www.bu.edu/isso/files/pdf/tal.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

@nyctor welcome & please complete your timeline https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=411570

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline
2 hours ago, ohmygod said:

thank you, if the medical expires, do they send the passport back? Or should we ask for the passport back? We don't want to cause any delay by asking for the passport. At the same time if it is going to be a year of waiting then no point in leaving the passport there. 

Timeline

Happy Friday all! Praying for some issued today! 

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Timeline
2 hours ago, nyctor said:

Welcome!! I'm sorry you have to join us, but definitely stick around for support because it's hard to be patient and not frustrated through administrative processing. You are not alone! :)

Timeline
5 hours ago, Sorrel said:

Are you in any of the categories that fall within the TAL (Technology Alert List)?  If you go to forums on the top left corner and put in EB Canada it should bring you to the forum.    

Engineering graduate, so possible in TAL list. Frustrating. Hopefully this doesn't take long for all of us. Wishing you all good luck to be with your family soon

Timeline
6 hours ago, nyctor said:

I had a TN visa as well, was denied a second TN and had my remaining time on my then current TN revoked.  In my case they felt they shouldn't have issued me my original TN due to discrepancies in the job category (Management Consultant)...my point is I was approved at my interview last month regardless of this.  The CO only said "I see you had another visa before" - I said yes and it was revoked and that was it.  So having a previous TN visa alone shouldn't be any reason to think it would affect your IV unless they suspect misrepresentation in obtaining the TN originally.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.