ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Linzychuk said:

My case was last updated January 18th but still says the expected "refused".  We have figured out who to contact as per our state Rep and are doing so tomorrow. I wanted to include some documentation from my doctor to say that we are now expecting, I know the US consulate doesn't care about it but maybe the state representative will lol. All we can do is try 🤷🏼‍♀️

That is the date my case was last updated as well! I am quite positive your state rep will be able to help considering your situation! Wishing you all the best! Keep me posted!

Is anyone here trying to immigrate to Florida? If so, which Representative/Congressman/Senator did you contact? Which one takes in cases immediately? Which ones take you within 30 days or so (I'm on day 46)? I'm asking because I'm trying to immigrate to Pasco County and their Congressman does not help. Which other ones within Florida help the quickest? Most of them we've tried don't assist you if you're not within their County. My wife is from Miami, but even Miami-Dade haven't responded as she now lives in Tampa. Thanks in advance!

Timeline
41 minutes ago, Tony Nikolovski said:

Is anyone here trying to immigrate to Florida? If so, which Representative/Congressman/Senator did you contact? Which one takes in cases immediately? Which ones take you within 30 days or so (I'm on day 46)? I'm asking because I'm trying to immigrate to Pasco County and their Congressman does not help. Which other ones within Florida help the quickest? Most of them we've tried don't assist you if you're not within their County. My wife is from Miami, but even Miami-Dade haven't responded as she now lives in Tampa. Thanks in advance!

You could try this site: https://www.myfloridahouse.gov/FindYourRepresentative 

For me there were at least 4 people who could potentially help..

Good luck.

Edited by NykahDeah

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Danii said:

Hey everyone, I mentioned a few weeks ago that I would put together a FAQ. I copied the first few sections from the general Montreal thread and then added a bunch that are specific to DS-5535/AP. I'm not 100% finished but thought it would be helpful for newcomers anyways. If there are any Q/A you would like to add, please message me!! Also, does someone want to try answering the first DS question? 🤣 I was having a hard time figuring out how to word all of our theories into one paragraph. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ugWHNDQxlNW3VL2FIqpDvD9tQYqFVb-yvhwFBKKWSwI/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together for us all!! It is very much appreciated!

Timeline
40 minutes ago, Danii said:

Hey everyone, I mentioned a few weeks ago that I would put together a FAQ. I copied the first few sections from the general Montreal thread and then added a bunch that are specific to DS-5535/AP. I'm not 100% finished but thought it would be helpful for newcomers anyways. If there are any Q/A you would like to add, please message me!! Also, does someone want to try answering the first DS question? 🤣 I was having a hard time figuring out how to word all of our theories into one paragraph. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ugWHNDQxlNW3VL2FIqpDvD9tQYqFVb-yvhwFBKKWSwI/edit?usp=sharing

This is great!

I would add a section for AP without the DS-5535 just so people don't panic, I for-sure thought I was going crazy cause I didn't get a DS-5535.

Cause I never got the DS but I did get a 221g.

Great work!

My attempt at Q1 of the DS 5535:

This happens when the CO has additional processing, questions or checks to perform or your case is missing information required under law for them to adjudicate your case during interview. This is not a denial of a visa, this is called Administrative Processing.

Administrative processing includes clearance checks, investigation of documents provided or missing documents such as medical or originals of the documents listed in the interview checklist. 

(Did I miss any??)

Approaching the middle of week with NO UPDATES. Someone with good vibes after contact senator or representatives? 

I haven’t try to contact them but after all of your feedbacks I feel like that doesn’t make any difference.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

@Federicowe  got the typical OP3 canned response to our public enquiry 7 days later (last Friday) with no answers to our questions.  My case has not been updated in CEAC since Dec 20.  We will be reaching out to our senators and congressman on Feb 6 (a few days before we reach 60 days in DS-5535 processing) and a friend of mine has contacts in Washington so sending everything to her as well to see what she can find out.  I will post here if anything happens.

Have you reached out to your Senators yet?  It can't hurt...

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Federico said:

Approaching the middle of week with NO UPDATES. Someone with good vibes after contact senator or representatives? 

I haven’t try to contact them but after all of your feedbacks I feel like that doesn’t make any difference.

Quite frankly, I think it is obvious that it makes no difference. A congressperson’s office sending an inquiry to the consulate makes no greater weight than if you send it yourself. They have no authority or pull over the immigration case. In terms of power, Immigration is under purview of the executive branch, not the legislative branch. The claim on here that having the office of a member of Congress contact the consulate will do something continues to be a claim without evidence.

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Krisara said:

@Federicowe  got the typical OP3 canned response to our public enquiry 7 days later (last Friday) with no answers to our questions.  My case has not been updated in CEAC since Dec 20.  We will be reaching out to our senators and congressman on Feb 6 (a few days before we reach 60 days in DS-5535 processing) and a friend of mine has contacts in Washington so sending everything to her as well to see what she can find out.  I will post here if anything happens.

Maybe it can’t hurt, except for the fact that it will surely disappoint you if you have any hope of it actually doing anything.

16 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

Maybe it can’t hurt, except for the fact that it will surely disappoint you if you have any hope of it actually doing anything.

I agree with this. It's likely that the inquiry does nothing but it's not too hard to do, so might as well if you have some free time. The few people who did get a rep involved + got approval sent the inquiry around the 30-40ish day mark and got approved around 50 days. It's possible that their cases were going to be approved at that time regardless of the rep. It's anecdotal evidence at this point, but like you said, doesn't hurt to try! 

Edit: just randomly remembered this- it's also worth it to try because we don't know exactly what's wrong with our case. I think for +95% of cases, it's actually just in AP/waiting for clearance, but for others, there may be something else happening. There was one user on the main Montreal thread who was put into AP without DS5535/additional document request. When she got her rep involved, the consulate finally informed her that her fingerprints actually didn't save on their system so they couldn't process the case! She had to go back in person to redo them. I believe in situations like that, if a rep isn't involved, it would take a long time for Montreal to catch their mistake. 

Edited by Danii

54 minutes ago, Krisara said:

It doesn’t make sense to try if we know the results, maybe I will try contact them if not approved when my medical reach the 4 months (something that isn’t so far).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.