ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Rosinasaur said:

I know secondary and tertiary are not great. I really wish there were more primary sources to look at. We've got this tiny article here https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/administrative-processing-information.html and that's basically it.

"When a consular officer refuses a case under 221(g), she or he will convey to the applicant whether the applicant is required to provide any further documentation or information, or whether the case requires additional administrative processing."

I interpret that as additional documents (aka medical) are a different thing than "additional AP". With that interpretation, applicants missing documents are not in AP.

However, it could instead be interpreted as missing documents are normal AP, and further security check are "additional AP". This supports your idea.

I honestly wasn't sure how to interpret it when I first read it, which is why I looked up the secondary sources.

In practice it looks like for them everything is Administrative Processing, for example if they want to verify good faith of your relationship you are in AP under 221g, if your medical is not on time, if you don’t provide a original birth certificate, if you miss your affidavit of support or if your passport expires before 6 months, all of this cases will end in AP under section 221g, there is a 212g section related with fraud and people who has been illegally in the US. The problem is the way there are working on cases for example I was reading about a guy from India who wait almost 6 months in AP for missing documentation, they request him to send his passport and guess what he receive his passport back because he need to complete the DS. I ask myself why they didn’t told him about the DS immediately.

The same case apply here after the DS  process end someone will pick up your passport to approve it and print your visa and the system will prompt medical expired and here we go again.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, Rosinasaur said:

Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm glad we're having this discussion and I don't want to minimize your concerns. I just really don't believe it's as bad as you say it is. I think the people who are supposedly in "just for the medical" are also having an additional background check done. After being put on AP in the first place, I did a lot of research on what it was. I'm at 111 days since interview so I empathize with you completely.

This article states that it is a security check. https://pennstatelaw.psu.edu/sites/default/files/documents/pdfs/Immigrants/Administrative-Processing-FAQ.pdf

This article states that it is for "additional review or security clearances". The "additional review" might support your side but the "who is subjected" section indicates nothing concerning missing/expired medicals. https://www.hio.harvard.edu/sites/default/files/HIOFiles/Administrative Processing FAQ_0.pdf

This article states it is either security checks, fraud check, arrest check, "chosen for review by a supervisor", withdrawn application, or the brief 3-5 day period between approval and issue date. I guess medicals could  fall under the "chosen by the supervisor" section, but that seems like a strange choice. https://lawandborder.com/administrative-processing-black-hole-visa-applicants 

This article also states that administrative processing is for "Security Advisory Opinions". https://www.nnuimmigration.com/administrative-processing/

These are just a few of the first page of Google articles when you search up "What is administrative processing". None of them mention missing medicals or documents at all. 

I still believe there is a small chance you are correct. They are delaying a lot of us with very little to no reason. However, I don't feel like stressing over an unlikely scenario is going to do me any good. There is literally nothing I can do to prevent an expired medical from delaying me if that happens. I really just want them to start processing from the top of the list and get everyone reunited with their families.

My stepdad was delayed for medical. He was actually approved and only delayed cause medical wasn’t received. The officer said you’re approved and needed medical. 
so there’s no other AP or checks for him aside from them reviewing the medical. It’s literally the medical 

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Timeline
34 minutes ago, BatmanFlow said:

My stepdad was delayed for medical. He was actually approved and only delayed cause medical wasn’t received. The officer said you’re approved and needed medical. 
so there’s no other AP or checks for him aside from them reviewing the medical. It’s literally the medical 

My CO said the same thing. She basically said if I had medical I would have been approved. I interviewed at the same time as my daughter but because of system errors my medical couldn't be taken at the same time as hers, therefore was late (they gave me the interview letter with less than 5 business days before interview.)

Her Visa will expire before I get mine if this keeps up, lol.

Timeline
Just now, ice-qube said:

and so far, nothing but no news... not even a reply to my Jan 10 email inquiry.

i can post my copy paste reply they sent, i can guarantee you it will be the exact same. so infuriating

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Timeline
36 minutes ago, BatmanFlow said:

i can post my copy paste reply they sent, i can guarantee you it will be the exact same. so infuriating

Lol, yea, they seem to love the copy-pasta. At this point, I can tell they are just not going to bother responding--it has been 14 days; but as you imply, no difference anyway. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When my case changed from "Immigrant Visa" to "Non-immigrant Visa", many people told me I was on the home stretch. It's been 2 more weeks so I guess it wasn't meant to be. I'm back waiting just like I was before.

To cope, I have made this chart using the Google Sheet just to illustrate how messed up their approval process is... From this you can really see how cursed those mid-November interviews were. Gosh.

image.png.3a5bc6fed01b8b3b6f43a091826a5941.png

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Rosinasaur said:

When my case changed from "Immigrant Visa" to "Non-immigrant Visa", many people told me I was on the home stretch. It's been 2 more weeks so I guess it wasn't meant to be. I'm back waiting just like I was before.

To cope, I have made this chart using the Google Sheet just to illustrate how messed up their approval process is... From this you can really see how cursed those mid-November interviews were. Gosh.

That’s a neat graph!

Timeline
10 hours ago, Rosinasaur said:

It's really a black hole, for the 36 of us on this sheet, how many aren't? They don't release these numbers, but they are quick to release how many they've approved. How many are sitting in AP for how long?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Loaiza13 said:

I remember reading somewhere in this thread that you have to email the embassy rather than call them, as they have made calling them not an option. Is that still accurate? Have any of you guys tried to call at all?

I tried calling but there is no direct line to the immigration visa department. It specifically states that they do not accept calls. The only way to contact them is through email.

Timeline
Just now, Redie said:

I tried calling but there is no direct line to the immigration visa department. It specifically states that they do not accept calls. The only way to contact them is through email.

@Linzychuk@Ayerforce Any updates in your case?

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Redie said:

@Linzychuk@Ayerforce Any updates in your case

My case was last updated January 18th but still says the expected "refused".  We have figured out who to contact as per our state Rep and are doing so tomorrow. I wanted to include some supporting documentation from my doctor to say that we are now expecting, I know the US consulate doesn't care about it but maybe the state representative will lol. All we can do is try 🤷🏼‍♀️

Edited by Linzychuk

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.