ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

10 minutes ago, Redie said:

I sent an email last Wednesday and still no response.

I just sent another more formal email, asking for someone to review, since my last email seems to have gotten lost (I replied to an email they sent me instead of sending a new thread) and got the automatic reply, as expected. Lets see if they actually answer this one, however I'm not expecting anything for at least 8-10 days. 

Timeline
37 minutes ago, NykahDeah said:

I just sent another more formal email, asking for someone to review, since my last email seems to have gotten lost (I replied to an email they sent me instead of sending a new thread) and got the automatic reply, as expected. Lets see if they actually answer this one, however I'm not expecting anything for at least 8-10 days. 

Hopefully you have some luck with that. Keep us posted!

Timeline

8 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Hello Everyone, 

just a quick question, Is it allowed if someone just crosses the border to the US to activate a Visa and return through the next exit? Will the covid test also be active for same day return to Canada without making any contacts in the US. What about quarantine @From_CAN_2_US, @Danii, @Tony Nikolovski Do the border people have any idea? 
thanks

8 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

What @Danii advised, but some additional notes:

There is no requirement for test when entering US by land (but required when flying conducted within the day prior to the flight departure). When returning to Canada by land, all people 5 years or older are required to present a negative test result from a molecular test that was administered within 72 hours prior the time you arrive at the border. The Canada website days "You must take a molecular test outside of Canada within 72 hours of your planned entry into Canada." My reading of this, is that it cannot be a test taken in Canada before you leave.

If you are fully vaccinated you do not need to quarantine on your return to canada, but have to have a quarantine plan. This is because, while there is no longer mandatory on arrival testing, some may be randomly chosen for testing. If you are found positive on that test, you have to quarantine.

This information is constantly changing and the answer depends on many variables such as age, vaccination status, mode of travel, length of time away, whether you have had COVID in the last 90 days etc. So I recommend checking this page for comprehensive information:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/wizard-start

Alternatively, if you have tested positive for Covid within the previous 6 months from entry in to Canada (and more than 10 days prior as of 1/15), you can show proof of a positive test from within that time period in lieu of a PCR test:

Who needs a pre-entry test

• All travellers 5 years of age or older
  • You must provide proof of a COVID-19 negative molecular test result to enter Canada OR proof of a previous positive test result taken between 14 and 180 days ago (starting January 15, 2022, between 10 and 180 days ago).

Timeline
11 hours ago, cdndesro said:

Alternatively, if you have tested positive for Covid within the previous 6 months from entry in to Canada (and more than 10 days prior as of 1/15), you can show proof of a positive test from within that time period in lieu of a PCR test:

Who needs a pre-entry test

• All travellers 5 years of age or older
  • You must provide proof of a COVID-19 negative molecular test result to enter Canada OR proof of a previous positive test result taken between 14 and 180 days ago (starting January 15, 2022, between 10 and 180 days ago).

Correct. I successfully entered Canada via the Ambassador bridge a couple of days ago with a positive test result under 180 days. Didn't have to take a new PCR test at all. 

But I am not sure if the airlines would allow you to board the plane without a negative PCR?

Timeline
14 hours ago, Hamlet said:

I haven’t gotten any updates since my last one on Dec 22nd. Sent off an email to the consulate yesterday as I have now passed 60 days since my interview and now I’m waiting for a response….

Good luck in getting a response. I have sent 2 in the last 2 weeks and have yet to receive a response. 71 days of waiting for me! So frustrating!

@Danii How much time do they stamped on your visa?

Usually is 6 month (Medical expiration time). I am worrying about not be ready before the exams expires. A teacher from my country have been waiting for more than 5 months.

2 hours ago, Federico said:

@Danii How much time do they stamped on your visa?

Usually is 6 month (Medical expiration time). I am worrying about not be ready before the exams expires. A teacher from my country have been waiting for more than 5 months.

It was exactly 6 months after the date I had my medical. I hope you're issued before 6 months :( it's such a scam that they make you redo the medical, especially since it costs so much. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Redie said:

Good luck in getting a response. I have sent 2 in the last 2 weeks and have yet to receive a response. 71 days of waiting for me! So frustrating!

Yeah still no response from my email as of this morning. 76 days since form submission, 79 days since interview. It is actually excruciating now. @DS5535 you were really lucky when they responded an hour after, any news about that?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Danii said:

It was exactly 6 months after the date I had my medical. I hope you're issued before 6 months :( it's such a scam that they make you redo the medical, especially since it costs so much. 

Yea I am growing somewhat concerned, as my medical expires in March. Do you have to redo the medical then?

20 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

Yea I am growing somewhat concerned, as my medical expires in March. Do you have to redo the medical then?

Until I know DHS is not able to allow your entry without valid and not expired medical.

Timeline
18 hours ago, Redie said:

Hopefully you have some luck with that. Keep us posted!

Not sure how much luck any of us are having.. Here's the reply: (EDIT: This was from the email from about 8-9 days ago that I never got an auto-generated reply to, EDIT 2: This did not change the date on my CEAC status)

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

This case is currently under review with a consular officer. As soon as the review is complete, the Visa Unit will advise of the next steps if anything else is needed to complete processing the case.

We realize that these extended time periods cause frustration to many individuals, and we are sensitive to the fact that the purpose of the immigrant visa program is to facilitate legitimate travel to the U.S. Nonetheless, the Consulate in Montreal, like all U.S. Embassies and Consulates, must adjudicate visas in accordance with the provisions of the law, and, in some cases, this involves extensive consular review and administrative processing. 

While we cannot predict when the processing of your visa will be completed, please be assured that the Consulate and the Department of State are aware of your concerns and will contact you as soon as the processing is complete.

We hope that this information is helpful in replying to your inquiry.
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Regards,

OP03

Consular Correspondence Unit | Immigrant Visa

U.S. Consulate General

Montreal, Canada
Edited by NykahDeah

7 minutes ago, NykahDeah said:

This case is currently under review with a consular officer. As soon as the review is complete, the Visa Unit will advise of the next steps if anything else is needed to complete processing the case.

My responses always said that it is currently under AP, so that's different! Were you given a form 221(g) and did you have to submit a DS5535?

Timeline
21 minutes ago, NykahDeah said:

Not sure how much luck any of us are having.. Here's the reply: (EDIT: This was from the email from about 8-9 days ago that I never got an auto-generated reply to, EDIT 2: This did not change the date on my CEAC status)

Hello,

We realize that these extended time periods cause frustration to many individuals, and we are sensitive to the fact that the purpose of the immigrant visa program is to facilitate legitimate travel to the U.S. Nonetheless, the Consulate in Montreal, like all U.S. Embassies and Consulates, must adjudicate visas in accordance with the provisions of the law, and, in some cases, this involves extensive consular review and administrative processing. 

While we cannot predict when the processing of your visa will be completed, please be assured that the Consulate and the Department of State are aware of your concerns and will contact you as soon as the processing is complete.

We hope that this information is helpful in replying to your inquiry.
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Regards,

OP03

Consular Correspondence Unit | Immigrant Visa

U.S. Consulate General

Montreal, Canada

At least you received a response back. I don’t want to discourage you but I received the exact same response on December 7, but that doesn’t mean you will be waiting as long as me. Every case is different. Hoping for the best for you and all of us in this stressful situation.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, DrJanko10 said:

My responses always said that it is currently under AP, so that's different! Were you given a form 221(g) and did you have to submit a DS5535?

So I did not get a DS5535, my 221 (g) was for missing medical.

The inquiry I sent specifically asked for a time to complete cause I am about to miss the closing of my house.

1 minute ago, Redie said:

At least you received a response back. I don’t want to discourage you but I received the exact same response on December 7, but that doesn’t mean you will be waiting as long as me. Every case is different. Hoping for the best for you and all of us in this stressful situation.

So just another kind of generic message ;)

Good to know, thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.