ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

I just have a question for @ice-qubeI see on the spreadsheet that you've been waiting for 78 days so far. What are you planning to do, or what have you done so far about it? I'm assuming that you haven't yet taken legal action via a lawsuit. Are you just planning on waiting it out as long as it takes? If not, when and what are you planning on doing about this?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

4 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

I have checked i think 6 times today. This is not useful, it is becoming an compulsive behaviour!

I'm going to need rehab...

2 hours ago, Tony Nikolovski said:

No, actually the CR-1 Visa for Canadians typically takes between 8-12 months. I'm WELL beyond processing times.

Why not

I think you’ll find that 8-12 months is NOT typical, even for Canadians.   The petition approval/NVC part of the process is no different, for Canadians than for anyone else, and Montreal’s legendary interview queue has only worsened with Covid.

Timeline
Just now, Tony Nikolovski said:

I just have a question for @ice-qubeI see on the spreadsheet that you've been waiting for 78 days so far. What are you planning to do, or what have you done so far about it? I'm assuming that you haven't yet taken legal action via a lawsuit. Are you just planning on waiting it out as long as it takes? If not, when and what are you planning on doing about this?

Fair question. I have been waiting 75 days since the submission of DS-5535 (78 since interview). I have inquired now twice. I plan to keep on inquiring every couple of weeks from now on. The writ of mandamus is a very expensive and uncertain option. I will certainly not consider the WOM before 180 days. Quite frankly, I do not have several thousand dollars to throw down on this handy, I need cash in reserve for things like, say, getting an apartment in the US, etc. Last last resort.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

I think you’ll find that 8-12 months is NOT typical, even for Canadians.   The petition approval/NVC part of the process is no different, for Canadians than for anyone else, and Montreal’s legendary interview queue has only worsened with Covid.

I think he meant historically. It certainly is no longer typical. It may have been in 2014.

Timeline
1 minute ago, ice-qube said:

Fair question. I have been waiting 75 days since the submission of DS-5535 (78 since interview). I have inquired now twice. I plan to keep on inquiring every couple of weeks from now on. The writ of mandamus is a very expensive and uncertain option. I will certainly not consider the WOM before 180 days. Quite frankly, I do not have several thousand dollars to throw down on this handy, I need cash in reserve for things like, say, getting an apartment in the US, etc. Last last resort.

Do you think you or your petitioner will contact either a senator or member of congress (sorry, not sure which for what but I know others have had varying levels of success)? I know my hubby did (against his desires since he's not politically inclined) and they sat on our request until I called them and then wrongfully contacted NVC instead of the consulate. So curious to see if it's actually helping or just coincidence.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, NykahDeah said:

I'm going to need rehab...

It is very frustrating. I would never have guessed that I would still be waiting for this visa after 2 years and 7 months, believe me. A year, year and half, yes I expected. Not this.

2 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

What can you inquire about after the first couple of inquiries though? Just inquiring the same thing every other week or so, more or less?

Timeline
Just now, NykahDeah said:

Do you think you or your petitioner will contact either a senator or member of congress (sorry, not sure which for what but I know others have had varying levels of success)? I know my hubby did (against his desires since he's not politically inclined) and they sat on our request until I called them and then wrongfully contacted NVC instead of the consulate. So curious to see if it's actually helping or just coincidence.

i do not believe anyone has actually had their case moved along by an inquiry from the office of a member of Congress. The evidence for it given here has been purely circumstantial and coincidental. That said, I would try that before the WOM. I will consider asking my wife to make such an inquiry no sooner than 100 days.

Timeline
Just now, ice-qube said:

It is very frustrating. I would never have guessed that I would still be waiting for this visa after 2 years and 7 months, believe me. A year, year and half, yes I expected. Not this.

I fully expected 2.5 years when Covid hit, which is why we started in 2020 instead of 2021 for immigration in 2022. We are still in that time frame, but if we had hit 2.7.. OMG I'd be a basket case, I give you many many kudos for keeping your calm, at least to my internet text reading abilities.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Tony Nikolovski said:

What can you inquire about after the first couple of inquiries though? Just inquiring the same thing every other week or so, more or less?

Yes, more or less, asking for an update on the case. Whether they will respond or not with anything useful is seriously debatable. So far, they have not answered my email from yesterday. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

Well after a long day of repeatedly and compulsively checking CEAC every half hour, I have absolutely nothing to report.

Ditto!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.