ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, From_CAN_2_US said:

I think his links to the security firm is more likely to have triggered the DS-5535 than the trip to Europe.

Maybe, but it sounds like he is doing just security guard work, or did I infer that wrong?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

Maybe, but it sounds like he is doing just security guard work, or did I infer that wrong?

Not security guard work, he was a programmer for them but only for 14 months. They specialize in financial security though, like GardaWorld works with other companies to strengthen their financial security so I feel like it’s different. And they have offices in the US so I feel like that’s a little odd to have triggered that. Also he’s not currently employed and hasn’t been since March 2020

Edited by ashleyt93

Timeline
1 minute ago, ashleyt93 said:

Not security guard work, he was a programmer for them but only for 14 months. They specialize in financial security though, like GardaWorld works with other companies to strengthen their financial security so I feel like it’s different. And they have offices in the US so I feel like that’s a little odd to have triggered that

Oh yes they have many service lines. So quite possible that the mere connection to the firm is what is flagging that. It doesn't really matter if they have offices in the US, I think would be the nature of the company's business trying to prevent financial crimes etc. So could be.

Timeline
30 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

Oh yes they have many service lines. So quite possible that the mere connection to the firm is what is flagging that. It doesn't really matter if they have offices in the US, I think would be the nature of the company's business trying to prevent financial crimes etc. So could be.

Yes. It is the fact that he has skills in IT security that could be used in cyber terrorism/ crimes.

IT security skills + name match would be my best guess for why the DS-5535 was triggered.

My husband is also in IT security and yes, he is the US citizen, so not the one being vetted, but that was one of the things were worried about when we interviewed.

Timeline
46 minutes ago, ashleyt93 said:

Also he’s not currently employed and hasn’t been since March 2020

Wait... How did you file AOS then? i864? Did you have a joint sponsor?

Timeline
37 minutes ago, DrJanko10 said:

My case updated today, but is still refused. This is the first update since Oct. 25th (the other two updates between then and now were answers to emails). Progress!! 

K this is awesome. Not as awesome: I feel like everyone getting progress except me.. 😁

Timeline
1 hour ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Wait... How did you file AOS then? i864? Did you have a joint sponsor?

Sorry, ignore the question. I got confused. Your fiancé is the beneficiary, you are the sponsor. Also this is K1…

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline
Just now, Danii said:

I'm thinking of putting together a FAQ (using answers in the threads) as that may be easier for any new comers here than reading all the pages. 

I received my passport today and noticed something interesting. At the bottom of the visa, there is an annotation that says "clearance received Dec-17 2021". I remember getting an update that day, and then again on Dec 20. So it looks like it took almost 2 weeks for Montreal to issue the visa after they received this clearance... but also looks like the updates aren't always meaningless!

Terrific news for you, congrats!

Just now, ice-qube said:

Terrific news for you, congrats!

Thank you! I remember you got updated on the same days, as well as a few other people. I hope that means your processing is underway currently 🙌

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Danii said:

I'm thinking of putting together a FAQ (using answers in the threads) as that may be easier for any new comers here than reading all the pages. 

I received my passport today and noticed something interesting. At the bottom of the visa, there is an annotation that says "clearance received Dec-17 2021". I remember getting an update that day, and then again on Dec 20. So it looks like it took almost 2 weeks for Montreal to issue the visa after they received this clearance... Looks like the updates aren't always meaningless!

Congratulations! 

Also, thanks for that insight. 

An FAQ sounds like an excellent idea. Thank you for all the help and support.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Danii said:

Thank you! I remember you got updated on the same days, as well as a few other people. I hope that means your processing is underway currently 🙌

Thanks, but I am sure that my last update (Dec 29) was merely because that was the day they sent their form email response to me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.