ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Loaiza13 said:

My husband's and my case (I'm the petitioner) has updated 4 times since the interview (5 if you count it updating that day) and is still refused. So many updates, with no resolution. Has anyone else had their cases update that much? My husband's interview was on November 9th, so it's been almost 2 months in AP.

I think I have had 3 updates. Still refused.

20 minutes ago, Rosinasaur said:

January 21st.

You mean Dec 21?

7 minutes ago, Loaiza13 said:

My husband's and my case (I'm the petitioner) has updated 4 times since the interview (5 if you count it updating that day) and is still refused. So many updates, with no resolution. Has anyone else had their cases update that much? My husband's interview was on November 9th, so it's been almost 2 months in AP.

Was your husband asked to fill out DS5535? If so, what day did you submit it? I believe many people here have had 3-4+ updates. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any trend as to how many updates one must have before approval. I think it's still a good sign though. 

Edited by Danii

4 minutes ago, Danii said:

Was your husband asked to fill out DS5535? If so, what day did you submit it? I believe many people here have had 3-4+ updates. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any trend as to how many updates one must have before approval. I think it's still a good sign though. 

No, he wasn't. After the interview they gave him the white 221g form and said if they needed any more information they'd reach out for it. We have not gotten any requests for additional documents.

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Loaiza13 said:

My interview was Nov 2 and I have had 4 updates but they update when they respond to your emails. My status still shows refused. I have surpassed the 2 month mark.

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Redie said:

My interview was Nov 2 and I have had 4 updates but they update when they respond to your emails. My status still shows refused. I have surpassed the 2 month mark.

Yeah exactly, when they sent me the form email response on Dec 29, they updated it. So nothing was exciting about that.

I asked my representative to ask consulate  about spouse traveling while in processing. This is the response we got. 

Although there is no provision in U.S. law that specifically precludes admission to the US for an applicant with a pending immigrant visa case, such an applicant must still demonstrate clear ties to a continuing life overseas and evidence of an intent to remain only temporarily in the United States. Granting admission to the USA is the exclusive discretion of the Department of Homeland Security/Customs and Border Protection (DHS/CBP) officer at the Port of Entry. 

Please contact CBP for further inquiries on U.S. border crossing requirements.

Just now, US2197 said:

I asked my representative to ask consulate  about spouse traveling while in processing. This is the response we got. 

Although there is no provision in U.S. law that specifically precludes admission to the US for an applicant with a pending immigrant visa case, such an applicant must still demonstrate clear ties to a continuing life overseas and evidence of an intent to remain only temporarily in the United States. Granting admission to the USA is the exclusive discretion of the Department of Homeland Security/Customs and Border Protection (DHS/CBP) officer at the Port of Entry. 

Please contact CBP for further inquiries on U.S. border crossing requirements.

They seem to be responding much faster when a representative is emailing them. And here it seems  they actually have read it and found a response. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I'm unfortunately in the same situation as all of you except this just happened to me and my fiancé today as he was handed a 221g after his interview. It's extremely disheartening to find out that after all of this time waiting that they still need additional information. Just for a little background, we applied for the K-1 visa and initially applied in July 2020. We've been together for 10 years (we met in college in 2011) and have been in a long distance relationship since we graduated in 2015. The only reason why I think he received a 221g is that he was refused once at the border back in December 2020 due to the border patrol agent saying that he didn't have enough strong ties back to Canada. Because we were nervous that this would interfere with our visa, he didn't attempt to cross the border since. 

The interview went well and at the end, when he was handed the 221g, they also gave him a paper with instructions on how to send his passport back once the visa is approved and to expect to receive questions via email in 2-3 days. I'm aware that we have to fill out the DS-5535 form and send it back, but I was just wondering how long all of you have been waiting? I haven't seen my fiancé since September and am unable to visit him due to my current job, so we're just really discouraged about this whole situation. I'd love to hear about your experience with this. We also have booked a wedding venue for the end of October, and am really hoping he'd be able to have his visa approved by then so we can still have our wedding. We booked it out far in advance as we figured the process would be long, but we didn't think it would take this long. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, ashleyt93 said:

Hey everyone,

I'm unfortunately in the same situation as all of you except this just happened to me and my fiancé today as he was handed a 221g after his interview. It's extremely disheartening to find out that after all of this time waiting that they still need additional information. Just for a little background, we applied for the K-1 visa and initially applied in July 2020. We've been together for 10 years (we met in college in 2011) and have been in a long distance relationship since we graduated in 2015. The only reason why I think he received a 221g is that he was refused once at the border back in December 2020 due to the border patrol agent saying that he didn't have enough strong ties back to Canada. Because we were nervous that this would interfere with our visa, he didn't attempt to cross the border since. 

The interview went well and at the end, when he was handed the 221g, they also gave him a paper with instructions on how to send his passport back once the visa is approved and to expect to receive questions via email in 2-3 days. I'm aware that we have to fill out the DS-5535 form and send it back, but I was just wondering how long all of you have been waiting? I haven't seen my fiancé since September and am unable to visit him due to my current job, so we're just really discouraged about this whole situation. I'd love to hear about your experience with this. We also have booked a wedding venue for the end of October, and am really hoping he'd be able to have his visa approved by then so we can still have our wedding. We booked it out far in advance as we figured the process would be long, but we didn't think it would take this long. 

It is very disheartening, I know. I am waiting for approval on my IR-1, had my interview in late October and was handed the 221g refusal and submitted the DS-5535. That was 70 days ago.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, ice-qube said:

It is very disheartening, I know. I am waiting for approval on my IR-1, had my interview in late October and was handed the 221g refusal and submitted the DS-5535. That was 70 days ago.

Did you email them since it's out of processing time? I'm sure you did, but curious what their answer was. 

Timeline
Just now, ashleyt93 said:

Did you email them since it's out of processing time? I'm sure you did, but curious what their answer was. 

Ha, yes I did. They gave me the same form email everyone has gotten. Non-informative bureaucratese.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.