ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Timeline

update

interview dec 1

got ds 5535 dec 1

sent completed ds 5535 on dec 9

got a automatic response immediatly

20 min later got a email saying:

Hello,
We acknowledge receipt of your e-mail and the additional information you have provided.   

This case is currently under review with a consular officer. As soon as the review is complete, the Visa Unit will advise of the next steps in order to continue processing the case.    

On 12/11/2021 at 12:25 PM, Danii said:

Ahhh that's good to know that you had a similar experience. There really should be some notice on their computer telling them it's the right document. Fortunately, Nadra works quickly so hopefully if they've been contacted about our FRC, any confusion should be cleared up quickly. I don't think the recent trip should affect your case or be the cause of refusal, but who really knows :(

They should send it out in 24-48 hours, so you'll probably get it on Monday. I would just type out all my answers in a word doc now and copy them over once you get the form. 

Question, I have upcoming travelling , should I also include that in my travel history?  Or should I wait and comeback and fill out these forms? I am back it’s week of January. 

3 hours ago, Randomwalk said:

Question, I have upcoming travelling , should I also include that in my travel history?  Or should I wait and comeback and fill out these forms? I am back it’s week of January. 

I'm not too sure... I guess it won't hurt to add a section titled "Upcoming Travel" in the travel history section. I think you should try to submit the forms asap just so things can start processing for you. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi! I wanted to throw my name in the pool. My K1 interview in Montreal was on October 4th, 2021. Everything seemed to go fine until he handed me the 221g, gave me back my passport, and told me that I'd get some questions by email. I submitted my answers on October 10th, 2021. They did not respond back. I resubmitted them on October 20th because it looked my Gmail might have formatted the email poorly. I got the "Thank you for your inquiry" email after that.

My parents are both born Canadian and my mother is first generation from England. My name is unique and not shared by any criminals as far as I'm aware. I do have a BSc in bipharmaceutical science, which may be what triggered the administrative processing... My social media presence is small and not radical in any way.

My case still says refused and it's last updated date is November 1st. I hate to say it, but I'm so glad I found this thread and that there are many of you. I was feeling really alone and now I feel like we're in this together.

5 minutes ago, Rosinasaur said:

My case still says refused and it's last updated date is November 1st. I hate to say it, but I'm so glad I found this thread and that there are many of you. I was feeling really alone and now I feel like we're in this together.

Hi Rosinasaur, thanks for sharing your timeline and I'm glad you found this thread! I know not everyone gets a confirmation of submission, but it made me feel a lot better once I got one. Since they're not replying by email, you can make a public inquiry here (https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/public-inquiry-form/) and ask them to confirm if they've received it. You can also call NVC, as they can see if the document is on your file. You'll be on hold for quite some time though but at least you'd get a response the same day. 

Your educational background is on the technology alert list, so it's a possible reason. Were you asked for your resume by any chance? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Danii said:

You can also call NVC, as they can see if the document is on your file. You'll be on hold for quite some time though but at least you'd get a response the same day. 

For those calling NVC, call at 7:00am sharp (EST). You will get through immediately.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

When I was preparing for the interview, I noticed this question on the DS-260; did any of you answer "yes" to it?

Screenshot 2021-12-13 at 5.15.54 PM.jpg

I don't remember if I did. Unfortunately I can't go back to check my answers. I feel like I would have answered No, but I don't remember.

8 minutes ago, Danii said:

Hi Rosinasaur, thanks for sharing your timeline and I'm glad you found this thread! I know not everyone gets a confirmation of submission, but it made me feel a lot better once I got one. Since they're not replying by email, you can make a public inquiry here (https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/public-inquiry-form/) and ask them to confirm if they've received it. You can also call NVC, as they can see if the document is on your file. You'll be on hold for quite some time though but at least you'd get a response the same day. 

Your educational background is on the technology alert list, so it's a possible reason. Were you asked for your resume by any chance? 

I did get the generic response the second time I submitted, so I think it's all good. My fiance and I plan on calling/emailing after December 20th to follow up once 60 days are up. I was never asked for my resume.

8 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

When I was preparing for the interview, I noticed this question on the DS-260; did any of you answer "yes" to it?

Screenshot 2021-12-13 at 5.15.54 PM.jpg

I selected no. I remember being confused about what my answer should be, but at the time I was still a student and didn't have any hands on/work experience in anything "specialized" so thought I should select no. I wonder now if maybe I should have selected yes 🤔

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Danii said:

I selected no. I remember being confused about what my answer should be, but at the time I was still a student and didn't have any hands on/work experience in anything "specialized" so thought I should select no. I wonder now if maybe I should have selected yes 🤔

I think the logic to you selected "no" was sound, and my instinct tells me selecting "yes" would trigger a flag. But who knows...

Timeline

Hey everyone, 

I forgot to mention in my previous post a few days ago. When the agent gave back the passports and documents, did they keep the police certificate? The officer/agent I saw at window 1 kept mine. I am not sure if he was supposed to return it to me or to keep it but I do recall him saying here are your documents before giving me the 221(G). Just wanted to know if anyone experienced this and if not any ideas what I should do?

Edited by candyg

Timeline
4 minutes ago, candyg said:

Hey everyone, 

I forgot to mention in my previous post a few days ago. When the agent gave back the passports and documents, did they keep the police certificate? The officer/agent I saw at window 1 kept mine. I am not sure if he was supposed to return it to me or to keep it but I do recall him saying here are your documents before giving me the 221(G). Just wanted to know if anyone experienced this and if not any ideas what I should do?

The consulate keeps the original police certificates for all applicants, even those approved. So you are good.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

She gave me all my originals back including police records. I got an email with the questionnaire, I have lot of travel history and I am just realizing that some of the stamps are missing on my passport and I could not find these on I-94 either? What do I do? And there is stamp on my visa that I have no re collection of. Do you Also  send supporting documents with the form? 

Edited by Randomwalk

Timeline

Hi everyone, We are in AP a little over 3 months now. I am sorry I think this is the wrong thread but does anyone know if there is a thread for people in AP who were not given this DS5535 form? We were not given it and our passport kept but here we are over 90 days later...

1 hour ago, Randomwalk said:

She gave me all my originals back including police records. I got an email with the questionnaire, I have lot of travel history and I am just realizing that some of the stamps are missing on my passport and I could not find these on I-94 either? What do I do? And there is stamp on my visa that I have no re collection of. Do you Also  send supporting documents with the form? 

Stamps? For the US or other countries? That's weird that some are missing on the i94, but if these trips were more than 10 years ago, that may be why they're not there. For other countries, I just tried to find my airplane tickets/accommodation bookings to find the exact dates. If I couldn't find them, I would just write the location and put an estimate (Month/Year/approximate duration). 

By supporting documents, do you mean proof of trips? I dont think you need to include any additional documents unless you were asked for them. As long as you answer all the questions in as much detail as possible, you should be fine 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.