ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

@candyg, @deep2ca, @Randomwalk could you all complete your VJ timelines, please?

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

1 hour ago, Randomwalk said:

Hi All, 

My husband is sponsoring me from Florida. I had my interview on December 10th and was handed back my passport and 221g. I was told questionnaire will be sent via email however no information was provided on when I should expect an email. My finger prints were taken at third window as well. I am living in Canada for last 22 years ( moved to Canada in 1998 from Pakistan ) no police record, work for bank at the director level, have masters in financial economics from Canadian university . No history of any problems crossing the border…no  idea why is happening to me 😂!  
I was so sad and searching the web for answers led me to you guys. Thank you for your posts and support) 

Hi Randomwalk, I'm sorry that you're here. I think you're the 4th person originally from Pakistan that I know of at Montreal (including me). In general, I feel like Pakistanis, even if we are citizens of other countries, are more likely to be "randomly selected" for this process. Since DS5535 requires background checks, I was worried that it would take more time for us since they'll need to gather information from Pakistan, and the infrastructure for that isn't too amazing there. Fortunately, one person here who had ties to Pakistan got approved within 45 days! That gave me a lot of hope, good to know that this our state of chargeability won't be too much of a cause for delay. 

Btw, what did you submit for your birth certificate? My original one wasn't accepted, so I got an FRC from Nadra. NVC originally declined it, until I called and told them that their own website says it's acceptable. At my interview, the officer looked quite confused when she looked at the FRC and I explained once again that it's an accepted document as per their website. She eventually agreed but took a photocopy (even though it's on NVC?) I wonder if that's one reason I got selected. It's weird though because I spoke with two other Pakistani Canadians who submitted FRC without any problems. 

Edited by Danii

1 minute ago, Danii said:

Hi Randomwalk, I'm sorry that you're here. I think you're the 4th person originally from Pakistan that I know of at Montreal (including me). In general, I feel like Pakistanis, even if we are citizens of other countries, are more likely to be "randomly selected" for this process. Since DS5535 requires background checks, I was worried that it would take more time for us since they'll need to gather information from Pakistan, and the infrastructure for that isn't too amazing there. Fortunately, one person here who had ties to Pakistan got approved within 45 days! That gave me a lot of hope, good to know that this our state of chargeability won't be too much of a cause for delay. 

Btw, what did you submit for your birth certificate? My original one wasn't accepted, so I got an FRC from Nadra. NVC originally declined it, until I called and told them that their own website says it's acceptable. At my interview, the officer looked quite confused when she looked at the FRC and I explained once again that it's an accepted document as per their website. She eventually agreed but took a photocopy (even though it's on NVC?) I wonder if that's one reason I got selected. It's weird though because I spoke with two other Pakistani Canadians who submitted FRC without any problems. 

Hi Dani, yes I submitted FRC and NVC accepted it with no issues. However the visa officer asked me the same question and said she doesn’t understand this document so I explained her that since I don’t have a birth certificate I submitted this and it is one of the accepted documents. So she said okay. It may be the reason that they need more information on my siblings because they don’t ask that on form D260. The other reason could be because I flew to see my husband in US for 3 months as there was a family wedding and my birthday which was not filled on D260. This was because I flew after NVC accepted my documents. At this point I have no idea. 
now I am waiting for them to send me email to fill questionnaire, do you know how long they take to send email? 

5 minutes ago, Randomwalk said:

Hi Dani, yes I submitted FRC and NVC accepted it with no issues. However the visa officer asked me the same question and said she doesn’t understand this document so I explained her that since I don’t have a birth certificate I submitted this and it is one of the accepted documents. So she said okay. It may be the reason that they need more information on my siblings because they don’t ask that on form D260. The other reason could be because I flew to see my husband in US for 3 months as there was a family wedding and my birthday which was not filled on D260. This was because I flew after NVC accepted my documents. At this point I have no idea. 
now I am waiting for them to send me email to fill questionnaire, do you know how long they take to send email? 

Ahhh that's good to know that you had a similar experience. There really should be some notice on their computer telling them it's the right document. Fortunately, Nadra works quickly so hopefully if they've been contacted about our FRC, any confusion should be cleared up quickly. I don't think the recent trip should affect your case or be the cause of refusal, but who really knows :(

They should send it out in 24-48 hours, so you'll probably get it on Monday. I would just type out all my answers in a word doc now and copy them over once you get the form. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have another theory of why the numbers of DS-5535s seems to be increasing. Maybe US intelligence has some recent information of national security threat originating from Canada. This would explain why other consulates around the world that suddenly increased interview slots, such as London, did not face the same DS-5535 issue.

24 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

I have another theory of why the numbers of DS-5535s seems to be increasing. Maybe US intelligence has some recent information of national security threat originating from Canada. This would explain why other consulates around the world that suddenly increased interview slots, such as London, did not face the same DS-5535 issue.

Hmm that would be very strange 😂 but equally as possible at this point 

Edit: wanted to add, do you also think it's because there are more spousal visas from Canada in general? Being neighbors/similar culture probably results in a lot more CR1/IR1 than any other country, so maybe this is a way to slow things down while also not getting in trouble for having a huge backlog

Edited by Danii

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Danii said:

Hmm that would be very strange 😂 but equally as possible at this point 

Edit: wanted to add, do you also think it's because there are more spousal visas from Canada in general? Being neighbors/similar culture probably results in a lot more CR1/IR1 than any other country, so maybe this is a way to slow things down while also not getting in trouble for having a huge backlog

It’s certainly possible….

The KPI for Montreal may be reducing the numbers in DQ waiting to be interviewed. So like @Hawk Riders and you mentioned, they maybe handing out DS-5535s to handle the little more complex cases later after that KPI is met rather than dealing with them now.

Timeline

Hi All,

I was also sent the DS5535 form after my interview on December 9th 2021. I have read through this thread and I can totally relate to how everyone felt blindsided after the interview. My interview seem to go well but was told at the end that I need to answer a few questions which will be sent by email.

The interviewer could not give me a timeline on how long the AP would take but advised that she would like to keep my passport if I do not need it. What really shocked me was when she said that I should try not to follow up on my visa with the consulate until after 6 months has passed. I am really hoping it does not take that long. It is really disappointing because I would have been okay with providing all these information much earlier during the NVC stage. 

I have a few questions regarding the DS 5535 form.
1. I am finding most of my information (address, email, phone numbers) was already provided in the DS 260 form. Did you guys just put a response mentioning this was already provided on the DS 260 form? I can`t understand why they are asking for address information again when it is required in the DS 260 form to provide all addresses since we were 16 years old. 
2. Is a physical address (eg hotel information) required for your travel history section? I simply stated the cities that I visited and the reason for my trip. I do not have an extensive travel history and most of my international trips were to the US.

Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Moe&Yas said:

Did you guys just put a response mentioning this was already provided on the DS 260 form? I can`t understand why they are asking for address information again when it is required in the DS 260 form to provide all addresses since we were 16 years old. 

Yes, after adding any new information, I would add "all other ____ already provided in DS260" in bold. (Sorry I misread your post earlier, removed one sentence)

Is a physical address (eg hotel information) required for your travel history section? I simply stated the cities that I visited and the reason for my trip. I do not have an extensive travel history and most of my international trips were to the US

I don't think it's required, but I added it anyways for trips that I could find the records for. If I couldn't find an address, I would write "No records" or N/A if it wasnt an overnight trip. 

What really shocked me was when she said that I should try not to follow up on my visa with the consulate until after 6 months has passed

Wow.... I have not heard that one yet. Really hope it doesn't get that bad 😔 

Edited by Danii

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, Randomwalk said:

married Oct 2020
My priority date is Nov11 2020 the date when we filed with NVC 

Dq date is June 15

interview date December 10,2021

Use this link to include that data for VJ 

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=390970

:)

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

6 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

It’s happening in other countries, I am from the Caribbean (Dominican Republic) and I have heard about some cases in my country, I have searched on Facebook and there are some people from Mexico in this situation.

Edited by Federico

48 minutes ago, Moe&Yas said:

Hi All,

I was also sent the DS5535 form after my interview on December 9th 2021. I have read through this thread and I can totally relate to how everyone felt blindsided after the interview. My interview seem to go well but was told at the end that I need to answer a few questions which will be sent by email.

The interviewer could not give me a timeline on how long the AP would take but advised that she would like to keep my passport if I do not need it. What really shocked me was when she said that I should try not to follow up on my visa with the consulate until after 6 months has passed. I am really hoping it does not take that long. It is really disappointing because I would have been okay with providing all these information much earlier during the NVC stage. 

I have a few questions regarding the DS 5535 form.
1. I am finding most of my information (address, email, phone numbers) was already provided in the DS 260 form. Did you guys just put a response mentioning this was already provided on the DS 260 form? I can`t understand why they are asking for address information again when it is required in the DS 260 form to provide all addresses since we were 16 years old. 
2. Is a physical address (eg hotel information) required for your travel history section? I simply stated the cities that I visited and the reason for my trip. I do not have an extensive travel history and most of my international trips were to the US.

Thank you!

Not sure in Canada, but there it’s a trap with the 6 months in my country, the problem is medical exams expire after 6 months, so if you spend 6 months or more in AP that mean you have to take the medical exams again, pay then again and wait until a CO review then which could take a couple o months more.

Edited by Federico

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Federico said:

It’s happening in other countries, I am from the Caribbean (Dominican Republic) and I have heard about some cases in my country, I have searched on Facebook and there are some people from Mexico in this situation.

Is there an increase compared to before though?

In Canadian consulates we have seen cases in the past but never so many at the same time....

41 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Is there an increase compared to before though?

In Canadian consulates we have seen cases in the past but never so many at the same time....

In mi country it is increasing and it’s something new at the same time, usually nobody was required to complete that form and even lawyers specialized in migratory process describe the form as something new for our country.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.