ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, deep2ca said:

I also had my interview this morning in Montreal and had similar results. My application is for IR-1. I also thought it went well until the end when they issued me a 221(g) refusal. I had all the required documents, answered all the questions confidently. The officer told me they will be emailing me additional questions in the next 24-48 hours. The 221(g) is a white form, additional processing required is check marked on it, and he also wrote on it "supplemental questions to be emailed".

I hope they actually do email me within 24-48 hours, dying to know what these "supplemental questions" are. Reading online is getting me worried, people have posted that the consulate told them it would take a week or two and they end up waiting months or longer to rectify a 221(g) 

Sounds very very similar to what happened to me. The piece of paper that indicates it is refused under 221(g) really says nothing about why that would be. It's very disappointing and also a bit worrying--I am starting to go batty trying to identify a reason why my case would possibly raise a red flag. Everyone thinks their own case is straightforward, I realize, but I think in my case there are none of the characteristics or history that I would typically understand as triggering red flags.   It is infuriating. I would like to have been informed as to the general reasoning behind the denial, but all i was able to get was a pro forma statement about following protocol.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

Sounds very very similar to what happened to me. The piece of paper that indicates it is refused under 221(g) really says nothing about why that would be. It's very disappointing and also a bit worrying--I am starting to go batty trying to identify a reason why my case would possibly raise a red flag. Everyone thinks their own case is straightforward, I realize, but I think in my case there are none of the characteristics or history that I would typically understand as triggering red flags.   It is infuriating. I would like to have been informed as to the general reasoning behind the denial, but all i was able to get was a pro forma statement about following protocol.

Most likely they will send you a bunch of questions from ds 5535

Timeline
12 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

What would trigger this? I simply don't understand.

So when consulate keeps your passport and put you in administrative processing, they know that it is just a matter of getting some paper work from the applicant. Such as missing domicile documents or medicals etc.

When the administrative processing is related to security/ background check, the consulate has to depend on external bodies, including those in other countries the consulate have no control over. So they are unable to advise a timeline or assure a positive outcome and hence do not keep the passport.

What would trigger such a security background check? Not sure... Could be having a name similar to someone in their bad books?

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline
3 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

So when consulate keeps your passport and put you in administrative processing, they know that it is just a matter of getting some paper work from the applicant. Such as missing domicile documents or medicals etc.

When the administrative processing is related to security/ background check, the consulate has to depend on external bodies, including those in other countries the consulate have no control over. So they are unable to advise a timeline or assure a positive outcome and hence do not keep the passport.

What would trigger such a security background check? Not sure... Could be having a name similar to someone in their bad books?

I don't think my name is that similar to anyone else that I have been able to find. I absolutely do not understand what happened. I do not know any reason why I would be considered a security risk at all.

Timeline
21 minutes ago, deep2ca said:

I also had my interview this morning in Montreal and had similar results. My application is for IR-1. I also thought it went well until the end when they issued me a 221(g) refusal. I had all the required documents, answered all the questions confidently. The officer told me they will be emailing me additional questions in the next 24-48 hours. The 221(g) is a white form, additional processing required is check marked on it, and he also wrote on it "supplemental questions to be emailed". However, they did hold onto my passport. 

I hope they actually do email me within 24-48 hours, dying to know what these "supplemental questions" are. Reading online is getting me worried, people have posted that the consulate told them it would take a week or two and they end up waiting months or longer to rectify a 221(g) 

Do you also have no idea what in your case would trigger such a thing? 

If so, two such refusals in one day sounds strange. Is it possible this is being done to train the new CO recruits? If so, it should pass very quickly.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

If so, two such refusals in one day sounds strange. Is it possible this is being done to train the new CO recruits? If so, it should pass very quickly.

From_CAN_2_US' experience sounds near-identical to mine so far. Possible that the consulate choose files to do at random?

Timeline
15 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Really have no idea to be honest. I immigrated to Canada from India in 1998, I have been a Canadian citizen since 2007. No criminal record, although I was charged with driving under the influence in 2012 but those charges were dropped and I was acquitted. Other than that, I have vacationed in the following countries in the past 10 years: England, France, Colombia, Mexico, Poland, Iceland, Italy, India, Japan, China, Hong kong. Maybe one of those countries triggered something. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, deep2ca said:

Really have no idea to be honest. I immigrated to Canada from India in 1998, I have been a Canadian citizen since 2007. No criminal record, although I was charged with driving under the influence in 2012 but those charges were dropped and I was acquitted. Other than that, I have vacationed in the following countries in the past 10 years: England, France, Colombia, Mexico, Poland, Iceland, Italy, India, Japan, China, Hong kong. Maybe one of those countries triggered something. 

None of that sounds like something that normally triggers a security check... Really sounds random...

@deep2ca @ice-qube I was also refused at my interview on Oct. 13th, and I was given form 221(g) and asked to answer "supplemental questions". They e-mailed me the same day with the questions (DS-5535), and I sent it back to them via email the next day (Oct. 14th). Montreal e-mailed me on Monday (Oct. 18th) thanking me for sending them my answers. My status still remained refused at that time but my "case last updated" changed to October 18th. Since then, my "case last updated" has changed twice: on Oct. 22nd and on Oct. 25th but still remains refused. Not knowing how long this will take is brutal, but my wife and I are content knowing that they are actively working on my case.

I knew I would be refused at the interview because I was turned away at the border back in early 2019 (no return ticket or proof of ties to Canada; long story), but I didn't expect to be hit with the DS-5535. That, plus my extensive travel history (ended up with 4 pages on Word of travel history in the past 15 years (a lot of Europe and US entries/exits)), could explain why I find myself in this situation. 

Since my interview was before yours, I will keep you updated with any changes in my status, so that it can give you an idea of how long things may take. And if yours moves along faster than mine, I'd also appreciate an update. :)

Timeline
44 minutes ago, DrJanko10 said:

@deep2ca @ice-qube I was also refused at my interview on Oct. 13th, and I was given form 221(g) and asked to answer "supplemental questions". They e-mailed me the same day with the questions (DS-5535), and I sent it back to them via email the next day (Oct. 14th). Montreal e-mailed me on Monday (Oct. 18th) thanking me for sending them my answers. My status still remained refused at that time but my "case last updated" changed to October 18th. Since then, my "case last updated" has changed twice: on Oct. 22nd and on Oct. 25th but still remains refused. Not knowing how long this will take is brutal, but my wife and I are content knowing that they are actively working on my case.

I knew I would be refused at the interview because I was turned away at the border back in early 2019 (no return ticket or proof of ties to Canada; long story), but I didn't expect to be hit with the DS-5535. That, plus my extensive travel history (ended up with 4 pages on Word of travel history in the past 15 years (a lot of Europe and US entries/exits)), could explain why I find myself in this situation. 

Since my interview was before yours, I will keep you updated with any changes in my status, so that it can give you an idea of how long things may take. And if yours moves along faster than mine, I'd also appreciate an update. :)

I received an email from them 30 minutes ago, they need me to fill out DS-5535. I also have extensive travel history for the last 10 years, im going to do my best but it might be difficult to recall exact dates and names/addresses of hotels. How accurate does it need to be ?

I was also refused entry in October of 2020 because I attempted to cross by driving / land border. They told me I could only fly due to covid restrictions. I have flown successfully to the United States 3 times since, but they always ask me why I was refused entry. 

Appreciate the updates, I will do the same. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, deep2ca said:

I received an email from them 30 minutes ago, they need me to fill out DS-5535. I also have extensive travel history for the last 10 years, im going to do my best but it might be difficult to recall exact dates and names/addresses of hotels. How accurate does it need to be ?

I was also refused entry in October of 2020 because I attempted to cross by driving / land border. They told me I could only fly due to covid restrictions. I have flown successfully to the United States 3 times since, but they always ask me why I was refused entry. 

I read previously one of our folks here who tried to cross the border by land during the time the border is close for non-essential travel, but they were not given a refusal form or a form to withdraw their visit, they were just been advised to return. They even mentioned here they are worrying about that case if they need to mention on their interview. I believe they didn't have an issue on that. If I will find that post, I will let you know.

For the case of extensive travel, I don't understand what is the bearing of that travel. All I know as long as you don't overstay on each travel there should be no issue. 🤔

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

Filing type: Online

Service Center: National Benefit Center

Local Field Office: San Bernardino CA

Date Filed N400: 06/2019

Biometrics Appt.: 07/2019 (25 days)

Interview Date: 01/2020 (6.5 months)

Oath & naturalization: 06/2020 (11.5 months)

:joy:Finally & Officially a U.S. Citizen! :dancing:

9 minutes ago, deep2ca said:

For each of my travel destinations, I indicated the country, reason of travel, entry and exit dates, cities stayed in, length of stay in each city, and how the trip was funded. I hope that that was enough. They haven't asked me for more details, so I'm assuming it's enough. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, ME_RHEDZ77 said:

For the case of extensive travel, I don't understand what is the bearing of that travel. All I know as long as you don't overstay on each travel there should be no issue. 🤔

Precisely. Many of us here have extensive travel histories, myself included. I don't see why it would pose a problem (at least I hope it doesn't). If anything, the fact that you were admitted by so many countries and never overstayed, demonstrates you were vetted by so many countries for admission and that you abide by immigration rules... 

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.