ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm so angry at what Montreal is doing to you all. This is just so disgusting and a huge mismanagement ever.

I wish there was a way to call them out on this BS. Ombudsman, Senator's/Congressmen's office should lay into them about how only cases that get a WOM are even been looked at and the others are just in a pile being ignored. THey can't be bothered to finish off the ones that have been waiting. THere is no way on earth they can't get those checks done quickly at least for the ones that only have to check Canada. The Canadian government shares practically everything as it is. 

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I read on the EB thread - a person reported the CO was training a new recruit during their interview. 

I hope this means they are expanding their workforce and that they will use that extra bandwidth to process these long pending DS-5535 cases.

On 7/3/2022 at 2:06 PM, EB2-NIW said:

Hi Mary184,

I am also Canadian citizen born in Iran, being sent to DS5515 black hole since Jan. 2022. I sent you my contact through private message, feel free to contact me.

Regard,

Hi, thanks and sorry for late  reply. Just saw your message. I replied back to your private message. Thank you 

37 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

I'm so angry at what Montreal is doing to you all. This is just so disgusting and a huge mismanagement ever.

I wish there was a way to call them out on this BS. Ombudsman, Senator's/Congressmen's office should lay into them about how only cases that get a WOM are even been looked at and the others are just in a pile being ignored. THey can't be bothered to finish off the ones that have been waiting. THere is no way on earth they can't get those checks done quickly at least for the ones that only have to check Canada. The Canadian government shares practically everything as it is. 

I have a government of Canada security clearance, NATO clearance, and have ITAR clearance with the United States government and still got hit. It makes no sense at all. British born, in Canada since 98, and only travelled to the USA in the last 15 years. 

Edited by OceanWater

Timeline
21 minutes ago, OceanWater said:

I have a government of Canada security clearance, NATO clearance, and have ITAR clearance with the United States government and still got hit. It makes no sense at all. British born, in Canada since 98, and only travelled to the USA in the last 15 years. 

It really makes no sense. I agree with Ice-qube (I think said it) that they started using the DS5535 to clear out the wait for interviews, but then lost sight of the cases they should have approved by now. Now they can't be bothered to go get them and finish them off. 

I did read however that one can file a WOM on their own for as little as $500. It seems this might be worth looking into because once Montreal gets served these case magically become approved/issued. So they are not even needing the WOM to make a decision it  just makes them go get a file out of storage. If this was really a case of background checks the cases would not be approved so fast and they would actually have to go to court to fight it. 

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

11 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

It really makes no sense. I agree with Ice-qube (I think said it) that they started using the DS5535 to clear out the wait for interviews, but then lost sight of the cases they should have approved by now. Now they can't be bothered to go get them and finish them off. 

I did read however that one can file a WOM on their own for as little as $500. It seems this might be worth looking into because once Montreal gets served these case magically become approved/issued. So they are not even needing the WOM to make a decision it  just makes them go get a file out of storage. If this was really a case of background checks the cases would not be approved so fast and they would actually have to go to court to fight it. 

They started working on my case on the 15th and summons and deadlines were set on June 22. Seems the notifications of the case was enough to get them to work on it. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, OceanWater said:

They started working on my case on the 15th and summons and deadlines were set on June 22. Seems the notifications of the case was enough to get them to work on it. 

That is what it looks like. Maybe with some research those who don't want to dish out crazy lawyers fees can file it on their own. It seems you just need to get the pot stirred and they will finish things. 

What would be nice if the ombudsman would call Montreal out with this #######. 

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Timeline
59 minutes ago, OceanWater said:

I am curious to see when your clearance was actually received. Do you mind updating us when you receive your visa? Generally it says on the visa clearance receive on...

Edited by Canada21

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ontarkie said:

The theory that Montreal is issuing DS-5535s in an effort to reduce wait time for interviews doesn’t make sense. They have already interviewed these applicants, so what time are they saving? On the contrary issuing DS-5535 means more work for the consulate.

Also I don’t believe that background checks/ security clearances are not being done on these applicants. It probably just doesn’t take months and months. For most countries it probably only takes a few weeks. The reason MTL is able to issue the Issue so soon after the WOM is because the cases are just sitting in MTL AFTER obtaining security clearance for months and months, just waiting for their final action. The WOM forces them to pick up the file and do that maybe 1 hour’s worth of work on it to issue the visa…it puts it in priority….

But yes, agreed, if there is a way to file WOM without a lawyer, and one can’t afford one, then it’s worth looking into.

3 hours ago, OceanWater said:

June 3 filed, June 15 case updated to received, June 16 refused, June 19 asked for my passport back, June 30 passport delivered and put into administrative processing, issued July 8. I believe this is my lawsuit timeline. Going off memory but I believe that’s accurate. 

I’m so happy for you!

1 hour ago, Canada21 said:

I am curious to see when your clearance was actually received. Do you mind updating us when you receive your visa? Generally it says on the visa clearance receive on...

Absolutely. It’s set to arrive at the post office on Monday so I’ll pick it up Tuesday. Flight booked for Wednesday morning. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

That’s not always the case it seems, I filed on June 10th and haven’t had any updates or movement. I’ve not got a single update on the CEAC tracker since we sent back the ds5535 in February. Deadline is set for Aug 22nd, but we will see, I’ll believe it when the visa comes. 

10 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

Last year there were 19 WoM total. This year I see 25 SO FAR. They are getting slammed and I home it draws the attention of someone who actually cares.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.