ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Just got word from my husband's congresswoman. They're sending an inquiry but said it normally takes the consulate 30 days to reply. However, because of the holidays, I might not hear back until the new year. I think if anyone was thinking of reaching out to their rep, maybe right now is the best time.

Edited by Danii

25 minutes ago, Danii said:

Just got word from my husband's congresswoman. They're sending an inquiry but said it normally takes the consulate 30 days to reply. However, because of the holidays, I might not hear back until the new year. I think if anyone was thinking of reaching out to their rep, maybe right now is the best time.

How long you have been waiting after you sent back the DS?

On 12/6/2021 at 11:21 PM, Hawk Riders said:

@PA93 & @Sharma Ali how did things go for you?

@Hawk Riders am still trying to come to terms with their decision. I’ve been sent a DS 5535 form and my two kids were missing 864W request for a waiver, which I haven’t heard of before Monday. Does anyone know how long does the DS 5535 form take? Hoping the best for our good friend @From_CAN_2_US any body having their interview. This process is draining. 

3 minutes ago, Sharma Ali said:

@Hawk Riders am still trying to come to terms with their decision. I’ve been sent a DS 5535 form and my two kids were missing 864W request for a waiver, which I haven’t heard of before Monday. Does anyone know how long does the DS 5535 form take? Hoping the best for our good friend @From_CAN_2_US any body having their interview. This process is draining. 

No one knows how long it takes 😔 I'm sorry you have to go through this. Please join our thread, we're here to support each other and make sense of this process. 

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/773287-the-dreaded-ds-5535-thread-for-montreal-post-here-and-support-each-other-split/#comments

54 minutes ago, Sharma Ali said:

@From_CAN_2_US They’ve sent me the DS5535 in an email format, do I just reply to email answering questions or do I need to print and sign the DS5535. Please let me know if anybody has an idea. URGENT. Thanks 

14 minutes ago, Sharma Ali said:

@From_CAN_2_US They’ve sent me the DS5535 in an email format, do I just reply to email answering questions or do I need to print and sign the DS5535. Please let me know if anybody has an idea. URGENT. Thanks 

I copied the form into a word doc and added my answers there. I submitted it as both a word doc and PDF. They didn't comment on whether I should provide it in another format and acknowledged my submission, so it should be okay. I did not sign it. 

Edited by Danii

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Sharma Ali said:

@Danii just provided a reply, but I suggest you post queries about DS-5535 on the other thread.

Others going through the process (including @Danii) are on there and they can give you better replies.

Timeline

I don’t know if this is the right thread to post in as I never received a 221g or ds5535. At my interview the CO said I was approved and my status changed drastically within 1 week. 

Interview: November 8, 2021

issued AP: November 8

Issued FP: November 10

Refused AP: November 12

I received an email on November 16 that  they tried calling me and they are returning my passport while in AP and they will let me know when to return it when it’s complete. 

I never received a phone call and checked my voice mail with no message left. 

Today my status date changed to todays date however still shows refused and I still have not gotten an email with a tracking number for my passport. 

I really don’t know what’s going on. 

35 minutes ago, Hamlet said:

I don’t know if this is the right thread to post in as I never received a 221g or ds5535. At my interview the CO said I was approved and my status changed drastically within 1 week. 

I received an email on November 16 that  they tried calling me and they are returning my passport while in AP and they will let me know when to return it when it’s complete. 

Today my status date changed to todays date however still shows refused and I still have not gotten an email with a tracking number for my passport. 

I'm so sorry that you're going through this, that's so confusing. The least they could have done was provide you with an explanation as to why this is happening. Have you tried emailing them asking for clarification/if they need any information from you? I recently learned of something called a public inquiry, I used it yesterday and got a response pretty quickly compared to emailing them directly. https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/public-inquiry-form/

However, my question was about an error they made (they sent me DS-5535 twice) so maybe that's why they replied quickly. Upon submission of the question, they said I would get a response within 2 business days, so hopefully you would get a reply soon. I would definitely try to get in contact with your congressional rep or senator now, as it takes some time to get a hold of them. Get them to submit an inquiry on your behalf, hopefully you get more answers that way. Please keep us updated, we are here to support you!

Edited by Danii

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
59 minutes ago, Hamlet said:

Further to what @Danii suggested, I recommend you contact the agency that helps with registering appointments and passport return.

I got the following text in one of Montreal’s email replies to me.

“Any questions about the courier pass-back services or any issues with the website of our appointment services contractor should be reported directly to the Official U.S. Department of State Visa Appointment Service using the contact details here https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-CA/iv/information/contact_us “

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline
59 minutes ago, Danii said:

I'm so sorry that you're going through this, that's so confusing. The least they could have done was provide you with an explanation as to why this is happening. Have you tried emailing them asking for clarification/if they need any information from you? I recently learned of something called a public inquiry, I used it yesterday and got a response pretty quickly compared to emailing them directly. https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/public-inquiry-form/

However, my question was about an error they made (they sent me DS-5535 twice) so maybe that's why they replied quickly. Upon submission of the question, they said I would get a response within 2 business days, so hopefully you would get a reply soon. I would definitely try to get in contact with your congressional rep or senator now, as it takes some time to get a hold of them. Get them to submit an inquiry on your behalf, hopefully you get more answers that way. Please keep us updated, we are here to support you!

I emailed them right after they sent me the email that they are returning my passport. I received a generic response 2 weeks later. I will try the public inquiry and see where that goes. 

Honestly, I don’t want my passport returned back to me without the Visa stamped inside. They can keep it!

3 hours ago, Hamlet said:

I emailed them right after they sent me the email that they are returning my passport. I received a generic response 2 weeks later. I will try the public inquiry and see where that goes. 

Honestly, I don’t want my passport returned back to me without the Visa stamped inside. They can keep it!

I hope it goes well for all of us. These people don’t this they’re playing with families and children and just numbers. 

Users in the other group got tracking numbers an hour ago, so I'm guessing no approvals here today? Hoping for some good news in the upcoming weeks, hopefully before the holidays...

Edited by Danii

Timeline
2 hours ago, Danii said:

Users in the other group got tracking numbers an hour ago, so I'm guessing no approvals here today? Hoping for some good news in the upcoming weeks, hopefully before the holidays...

Just received my tracking number email. Status still showing refused. Hopefully it’s a mistake and has the visa stamped inside it. 

I will update when I receive it and if there is a 221g or ds5535 with it. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.