ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband's interview was on Jun 08, 2022. He was so shocked when he was handed a 221 g refusal. Because everything had gone so so well during the interview until the end when the officer handed him a 221 g refusal, telling him that his documents were fully complete and he wished he could approve my husband's visa today but he can't. Further informing my husband to expect an email within 48 hours and not delay in responding. This past Thursday, we received an email for his 15 year travel history, 15 year employment history, spouse's names, siblings names (i.e. the ds 5535). We responded the same day, but for some of the responses we just indicated that the information was already in the DS-260. We received a response on Friday asking us to provide all information including everything that was already within the DS-260. So we resent our email with all responses included. Now we are waiting.

The kicker here is I, as the petitioner, had already request an expedite during the previous two stages because my father passed away last year and I needed my husband's emotional support to take care of my mother. And two days before the interview, one of my brother's passed away. So pretty much I have been struggling with my own emotions as well as trying to take care of my mother, I feel physically and emotionally exhausted and I really thought all we needed to do was get through this interview and I'd finally have my support system with me. My heart sank when I found out we were in AP and there was no timeline (supposedly 2-3 weeks according to the officer, but it doesn't sound like it). I feel dejected beyond words and I miss and need my husband. But I can do nothing about it, I do feel like it is inhumane to keep spouses apart for as long as spouses have to be apart during the immigration process and our immigration needs reform (AP or no AP).  

Anyway, I'm happy I have some semblance of support here in these forums, but I pray for all of us to get through this quickly so we can get on with our halted lives.

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

February 2021 - Sent I-130

July 2021 - Sent expedite request

July 2021 - Approved 

August 2021 - NVC Welcome Letters

November 2021 - NVC requests missing documents

December 2021 - Submitted missing docs to NVC

May 2022  Notice of interview appointment

June 2022 - Interview + put in AP

March 2023 - AP complete + second medical requested by consulate

April 2023 - new medical submitted, visa status changed to issued

May 2023 - Entry into US

Timeline
On 2/2/2022 at 12:36 PM, cdndesro said:

Your visa will have an expiry date that is 6-months from the date of your medical exam.  You must cross and activate it within that time before it expires.

So what happens if you are put in AP and receive your visa 6 months after the date of your medical exam?

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

February 2021 - Sent I-130

July 2021 - Sent expedite request

July 2021 - Approved 

August 2021 - NVC Welcome Letters

November 2021 - NVC requests missing documents

December 2021 - Submitted missing docs to NVC

May 2022  Notice of interview appointment

June 2022 - Interview + put in AP

March 2023 - AP complete + second medical requested by consulate

April 2023 - new medical submitted, visa status changed to issued

May 2023 - Entry into US

Timeline
2 hours ago, JR90 said:

I don't believe they will issue you the visa if your medical expires. They'll request an updated exam then issue the visa.

That is correct. Or, just keep you in AP ad infinitum, and never request anything at all--sorta like they are doing for me!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
48 minutes ago, BornOnAThursday said:

Is the public inquiry site down? I'm using this link and it shows "404 Error - Page not found":

https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/public-inquiry-form/

Well isn't that lovely!  Just when you thought they couldn't be more inaccessible, they are.  Perhaps sending an email to the regular Montreal consulate email: montreal-iv-dv@state.gov And also CC'ing one found on their contact us page:

Non-immigrant visa e-mail: canada_contactus+ca+info+en@visaops.net
Immigrant visa e-mail: canada_contactus+ca+info+en@visaops.net
Fiancé/Fiancée visa email: canada_contactus+ca+info+en@visaops.net
Diversity visa email: canada_contactus+ca+info+en@visaops.net

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
13 hours ago, PZibran325 said:

My husband's interview was on Jun 08, 2022. He was so shocked when he was handed a 221 g refusal. Because everything had gone so so well during the interview until the end when the officer handed him a 221 g refusal, telling him that his documents were fully complete and he wished he could approve my husband's visa today but he can't. Further informing my husband to expect an email within 48 hours and not delay in responding. This past Thursday, we received an email for his 15 year travel history, 15 year employment history, spouse's names, siblings names (i.e. the ds 5535). We responded the same day, but for some of the responses we just indicated that the information was already in the DS-260. We received a response on Friday asking us to provide all information including everything that was already within the DS-260. So we resent our email with all responses included. Now we are waiting.

The kicker here is I, as the petitioner, had already request an expedite during the previous two stages because my father passed away last year and I needed my husband's emotional support to take care of my mother. And two days before the interview, one of my brother's passed away. So pretty much I have been struggling with my own emotions as well as trying to take care of my mother, I feel physically and emotionally exhausted and I really thought all we needed to do was get through this interview and I'd finally have my support system with me. My heart sank when I found out we were in AP and there was no timeline (supposedly 2-3 weeks according to the officer, but it doesn't sound like it). I feel dejected beyond words and I miss and need my husband. But I can do nothing about it, I do feel like it is inhumane to keep spouses apart for as long as spouses have to be apart during the immigration process and our immigration needs reform (AP or no AP).  

Anyway, I'm happy I have some semblance of support here in these forums, but I pray for all of us to get through this quickly so we can get on with our halted lives.

Very sorry to hear you're in this limbo, but this forum lets you understand you're not alone.  I've also answered some of the questions on the DS5535 with "information provided in DS-260" but they didn't tell me to include all the information as they did for your husband... just goes to show its like they are no clear rules to this...

Timeline
14 hours ago, PZibran325 said:

So sorry to hear this. I truly hope they process his visa asap. 
maybe he can request his passport back if it’s been a few weeks, at least then he can come visit you. 

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Anyone here needed to submit DS5535 and have a baby together (IR1)? Just wondering if it for any reason speeds things up. We recently had a baby and I was hit with the DS5535 even tho interview was great, honestly did not know this kinda thing exists till it happened to me. We originally applied May 2020 and interview was last week so 2 years in and then getting hit by this?? 

3 hours ago, LAMA9 said:

Well isn't that lovely!  Just when you thought they couldn't be more inaccessible, they are.  Perhaps sending an email to the regular Montreal consulate email: montreal-iv-dv@state.gov And also CC'ing one found on their contact us page:

Non-immigrant visa e-mail: canada_contactus+ca+info+en@visaops.net
Immigrant visa e-mail: canada_contactus+ca+info+en@visaops.net
Fiancé/Fiancée visa email: canada_contactus+ca+info+en@visaops.net
Diversity visa email: canada_contactus+ca+info+en@visaops.net

Yo they are trying to drive us insane. #######.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, BatmanFlow said:

So sorry to hear this. I truly hope they process his visa asap. 
maybe he can request his passport back if it’s been a few weeks, at least then he can come visit you. 

how do we go about requesting the passport back? just send them an email?? 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, yvesemma said:

how do we go about requesting the passport back? just send them an email?? 

yes, looks like the general inquiry link is down, so you should email them

Email address is Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, vt154 said:

Mine is 7 months at Tokyo so far. I have known some people here are working on WOM. How is it going? Did anyone win the case?

I am also considering WOM. May you please add me to the group. Thank you.

You need to check your regional, this thread is Montreal only and the information will not be the same for you. Good luck

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.