ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, ice-qube said:

This isn't a very encouraging example, is it...

No. Definitely not. But I wonder what their case entailed. 

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Timeline
Just now, BatmanFlow said:

No. Definitely not. But I wonder what their case entailed. 

Yes, it would be nice if they shared more particular details so we could understand. Right now I am just feeling hopeless.

Sad to come back and see some of you are still struggling with this, hope you all get an answer soon an hope you all can be reunited with your respective family ASAP. This process is something horrible and painful.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

apparently @Jacksparrow11 is an EB3 applicant according to their other forum posts/threads

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline
2 hours ago, Federico said:

Sad to come back and see some of you are still struggling with this, hope you all get an answer soon an hope you all can be reunited with your respective family ASAP. This process is something horrible and painful.

Thanks for thinking of us, amigo. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was thinking the same @WishIWasntHere.  My fiancee is in the process of getting his Canadian Citizenship (he is a Canadian PR and filed for Citizenship March 2021) and at this point we are planning our back up plan to live here, which is obviously not our first choice, but we can't take the living in limbo much longer.  We need to buy a home and find a school for our daughter (currently living in a shoe box condo, hoping we will be given the "good to go" and not have to deal with the Toronto real estate market).  I realize we are luckier than most as we are together, that I am grateful for.  

I'm curious as well, has anyone here looked into simultaneously applying for their their US fiancee to come here as back up?  In case this never does end?  

Timeline

@Krisara I am really thinking about looking into the same thing… considering asking a lawyer if it’s possible to apply for my Canadian Spousal Visa while we wait for the US one and see which one lands first. My spouse owns property in Toronto and we want to sell but we are waiting for a word in some direction. The separation is too much to handle and so I’m considering applying so we can be together. I feel like it will be faster anyway… I’m feeling so ###### stupid for not just trying to move to Canada in the first place. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, WishIWasntHere said:

@Krisara I am really thinking about looking into the same thing… considering asking a lawyer if it’s possible to apply for my Canadian Spousal Visa while we wait for the US one and see which one lands first. My spouse owns property in Toronto and we want to sell but we are waiting for a word in some direction. The separation is too much to handle and so I’m considering applying so we can be together. I feel like it will be faster anyway… I’m feeling so ###### stupid for not just trying to move to Canada in the first place. 

I share the same sentiment. I am regretting not applying for my wife to move to Canada. It was our initial plan but we decided on moving to the US. Never did we imagine that we would have to go through this. It has been so depressing. 

3 hours ago, SN-2022 said:

Do you guys know if WOM can be filed as a group like a class action lawsuit?

Yes it can be, I've seen one filed by Kuck Baxter immigtation, I think it was against the Manila consulate. I found some posts here on visajourney about it, try searching class action/lawsuit

5 hours ago, WishIWasntHere said:

Yes I think it's possible to apply for it while waiting for your US visa, I don't think it affects it at all (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). There is an option for your partner to cross directly into Canada and start the process asap while living together, or they could wait it out in the US. Not sure how long it takes to get work authorization for the first option, but gov of Canada has a good explanation of the paths/wait times on their websites.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My case was updated today.  Anyone else?  My medical expires in one month (May 23).  At this point, we couldn't even pull off a move of this magnitude if a miracle occurs in the next 4 weeks (2 properties to sell, a child in school, no place to live in the US as the US citizen lives here).  We are now in a position where we would need to ask for an extension/medical redo just to give us time to prepare a move if that were to happen.  This process is beyond inhumane.  I get how they don't care about foreign citizens but how can they not care about the suffering of their own?  

I just spoke with my lawyer and she suggested that we all reach out to the same senator (regardless of where the petitioners live) to show that this isn't an isolated incident and that all DS-5535 case processing has all but ceased in Montreal.  It could prompt a Senator to take a higher level action than just an inquiry.  Senator Warren's aid responsible for immigration matters was very responsive to us.  Anyone interested?

On May 23, I plan on reaching out again to her and also sharing the MTL spreadsheet of active cases.  

She also mentioned the possibility of a class action against the consulate and knows of a lawyer who has experience in this matter...

Edited by Krisara

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Krisara said:

My case was updated today.  Anyone else?  My medical expires in one month (May 23).  At this point, we couldn't even pull off a move of this magnitude if a miracle occurs in the next 4 weeks (2 properties to sell, a child in school, no place to live in the US as the US citizen lives here).  We are now in a position where we would need to ask for an extension/medical redo just to give us time to prepare a move if that were to happen.  This process is beyond inhumane.  I get how they don't care about foreign citizens but how can they not care about the suffering of their own?  

I just spoke with my lawyer and she suggested that we all reach out to the same senator (regardless of where the petitioners live) to show that this isn't an isolated incident and that all DS-5535 case processing has all but ceased in Montreal.  It could prompt a Senator to take a higher level action than just an inquiry.  Senator Warren's aid responsible for immigration matters was very responsive to us.  Anyone interested?

On May 23, I plan on reaching out again to her and also sharing the MTL spreadsheet of active cases.  

She also mentioned the possibility of a class action against the consulate and knows of a lawyer who has experience in this matter...

Updated how? Just the date or moved from refused? I haven’t seen an update since we turned in our 5535 😞 

I just keep hoping but it feels so hollow 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.