ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
11 minutes ago, darth vader said:

I was talking about time taken to receive the form and fill it and send it back, not the actual DS5535 processing time, which I know can be more than 6 months. If the time in receiving and sending the form back adds only one or two weeks to the whole dreaded process, I would rather not waste time before interview in filling it. Hope that makes sense. And yes, I am done worrying about this. Off to gathering and double checking all the interview documents. Thank you!

ah ok, my mom got the follow up email two days after the interview, which included the DS 5535 instructions

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

8 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

But something I have noticed is Canadian PRs don’t seem to be issued DS-5535s at Montreal. They seem to be issued to Canadian citizens. Why? I don’t know. One reason I can think of - we PRs have been vetted recently by Canada which shares security databases with US, so maybe we have been cleared? Also ties in with my other theory that US has some intelligence of security threat originating in Canada by a Canadian citizen.

Everything @From_CAN_2_US said about the possibility of being selected for DS5535 is right. It's unpredictable for the most part :( Getting selected probably depends on so many things, your name, background, travel, work history or maybe even the officer who interviews you. 

Just want to correct this part, I've spoken to two Canadian PRs who got DS5535. Seems like no one is safe :(

Edited by Danii

Timeline
9 hours ago, Danii said:

Just want to correct this part, I've spoken to two Canadian PRs who got DS5535. Seems like no one is safe :(

Thanks for the correction, @Danii

Timeline

When's the last time anyone got an approval in this group? I don't think I have seen any DS-5535 approvals in a long time.

My last CEAC update was Feb 24, and I think that was likely them just responding to congressperson's office. This has truly become a black hole...

Timeline
18 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

When's the last time anyone got an approval in this group? I don't think I have seen any DS-5535 approvals in a long time.

My last CEAC update was Feb 24, and I think that was likely them just responding to congressperson's office. This has truly become a black hole...

its like all activity just stopped. I am trying to stop checking the site all the time. i think once i get the passport back and have my mom come here for a bit, i will be able to keep my mind off of this black hole CEAC hell for a bit.

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

19 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

I think it was like 5 of us in a week then total silence.

Timeline
Just now, DS5535 said:

I think it was like 5 of us in a week then total silence.

Yeah that is what it felt like. I can't believe this has gone like this. Did not project this. 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

The last approval that I have seen was March 5th. No one else being approved since then is just shocking to be honest. 

My wife came to visit me and was here for the last two weeks. We kept joking that hopefully I would have been approved and would travel back with her. It ended up with me telling her goodbye at Pearson Airport. It is just depressing.

Filed: E-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, ice-qube said:

Yeah that is what it felt like. I can't believe this has gone like this. Did not project this. 

Yes, absolutely no movement here. Few of us have the medical expired now. I am getting close to 180 days. 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Yes, absolutely no movement here. Few of us have the medical expired now. I am getting close to 180 days. 

Yeah my medical expired on March 20. I haven't even bothered to inquire about them asking for a new one. There is like no point whatsoever. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Hello100 said:

Why do you say there is no point, do you think that they will waste another 6 months and another Medical fee? 

There is no point inquiring past a certain point, because there is no different answer that is going to be given. And ya, if they are going to ask for a new medical, it would be better if they are ready to approve the DS-5535 stuff first and not make me go pay the money now and wait some more. Right now, I have ceased to have any hope that the approval is coming soon. If I am wrong, well, I would be pleased to be proven wrong.

2 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

There is no point inquiring past a certain point, because there is no different answer that is going to be given. And ya, if they are going to ask for a new medical, it would be better if they are ready to approve the DS-5535 stuff first and not make me go pay the money now and wait some more. Right now, I have ceased to have any hope that the approval is coming soon. If I am wrong, well, I would be pleased to be proven wrong.

Yeah, I get you. It really sucks, man. I am fearful of my Medical expiring soon too (in a month and a half). I don't know how the process of obtaining a new one works and how much longer until they look at the new one. Keep us updated on how getting a new one works whenever they ask you for it.

Timeline
Just now, Hello100 said:

Yeah, I get you. It really sucks, man. I am fearful of my Medical expiring soon too (in a month and a half). I don't know how the process of obtaining a new one works and how much longer until they look at the new one. Keep us updated on how getting a new one works whenever they ask you for it.

Yeah i have nothing to go on here... not sure if they will actually wait until the DS-5535 is clear or do they ask for it at their leisure?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.