ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
36 minutes ago, herecomestherain said:

Question about semantics:

I was not told I am in administrative processing, but does the DS-5535 mean I am in administrative processing?

My 221g sheet says additional processing is required.

Thanks

DS-5535 (extreme vetting) is a subset of administrative processing.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Hi All, hope everyone is hanging in there. This absurdity shall be over at some point.

It has been almost 6 months now since the interview and no progress. I am thinking of visiting the US but I need visa to get there, does anyone know if I can apply for nonimmigrant us visa if my immigrant visa is under administrative processing? 

Will they automatically reject it or will it cause any issues for my immigrant visa?

Thanks

1 minute ago, john1231 said:

Hi All, hope everyone is hanging in there. This absurdity shall be over at some point.

It has been almost 6 months now since the interview and no progress. I am thinking of visiting the US but I need visa to get there, does anyone know if I can apply for nonimmigrant us visa if my immigrant visa is under administrative processing? 

Will they automatically reject it or will it cause any issues for my immigrant visa?

Thanks

Yes, most likely rejection due to "immigrant intent". Are you not a Canadian citizen? Canadian citizens do not need a visa to travel to the U.S.

2 minutes ago, darth vader said:

Yes, most likely rejection due to "immigrant intent". Are you not a Canadian citizen? Canadian citizens do not need a visa to travel to the U.S.

Thanks for the reply @darth vader. No, I don't have Canadian passport unfortunately and need a visa to travel to the US. It is just hard to comprehend that they think it is OK to separate couples for so long.

1 minute ago, john1231 said:

Thanks for the reply @darth vader. No, I don't have Canadian passport unfortunately and need a visa to travel to the US. It is just hard to comprehend that they think it is OK to separate couples for so long.

Yup, the immigration process is not known for its compassion or empathy with the separated couples. They just do their jobs as per the laws and policies. Good thing is, it almost always works out in the end. Hang in there!

On 3/31/2022 at 1:19 PM, ice-qube said:

I am ok. But no sign of the end here, 157 days after the interview and 154 days after submitting DS-5535. Just continual limbo with no known end in sight. I try not to think about it too much, because I am basically powerless, but it really irritates me.

I come here weekly only to read your status updates. Here's to next week.

Timeline
1 hour ago, DS5535 said:

I come here weekly only to read your status updates. Here's to next week.

Thanks! I keep hoping the next week is going to be the one...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/1/2022 at 8:52 AM, herecomestherain said:

Question about semantics:

I was not told I am in administrative processing, but does the DS-5535 mean I am in administrative processing?

My 221g sheet says additional processing is required.

Thanks

Everything is considered AP. It's a catch all term they use.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
On 4/1/2022 at 3:59 PM, darth vader said:

Are you not a Canadian citizen? Canadian citizens do not need a visa to travel to the U.S.

The user's profile indicates Argentina as their location.

This thread is relevant to a diverse population :)

Edited by Hawk Riders

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Hawk Riders said:

The user's profile indicates Argentina as their location.

This thread is relevant to a diverse population :)

Additionally, there are many Canadian PR's with passports from other non-VWP countries that still require a visa to enter the US.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
44 minutes ago, Hawk Riders said:

Please remember border legal issues: it is against US law to cross as a visitor with intent to file AoS.

Yes, absolutely. Thank you, I was just curious if anyone has looked into that, I would never jeopardize my process.

Timeline

How often does everyone see updates on their case? I haven't had many on mine, last update was Feb 3 for myself and my daughter, my son still says our last updated date of Dec 15.

Timeline
29 minutes ago, CanNursetoUS said:

How often does everyone see updates on their case? I haven't had many on mine, last update was Feb 3 for myself and my daughter, my son still says our last updated date of Dec 15.

my mom's last true update was November 24.

also today is 6 months since her interview, oct 4.

we sent the DS5535 form back on oct 7

i think im asking for passport back mid april

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.