ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, DS5535 said:

A bunch of updates in the first week. None in the second week... Uh!

Source: I check 13 times a day

LOL I also check very often. I'm now trying to train myself to only check once around 5pm. We're gonna go crazy otherwise 🤣 I've been reading that updates can be misleading though. On the FB group I'm on, one woman only got 1 update but was approved in 3 weeks! She has a different visa class/consulate, but other people in a similar situation have had more updates than her but have been in the process longer. So hard to tell, were all just looking for signs that our case is being worked on:( I also came across some content that said most background checks should only take 30-60 days, and that only 20% of cases take more/less time. Hopefully they're right (but hard to believe because the other stats from DoS haven't been very accurate..)

Edited by Danii

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Danii said:

I also came across some content that said most background checks should only take 30-60 days, and that only 20% of cases take more/less time.

I have come across this too...hope it is right.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline
3 hours ago, Danii said:

LOL I also check very often. I'm now trying to train myself to only check once around 5pm. We're gonna go crazy otherwise 🤣 I've been reading that updates can be misleading though. On the FB group I'm on, one woman only got 1 update but was approved in 3 weeks! She has a different visa class/consulate, but other people in a similar situation have had more updates than her but have been in the process longer. So hard to tell, were all just looking for signs that our case is being worked on:( I also came across some content that said most background checks should only take 30-60 days, and that only 20% of cases take more/less time. Hopefully they're right (but hard to believe because the other stats from DoS haven't been very accurate..)

Another concern of mine is that the holidays will probably slow things down :( 

12 hours ago, Danii said:

That's good news for her, but yeah I wouldn't bother comparing to different visas/consulates. Apples to Poultry as far as this "system" goes

8 hours ago, deep2ca said:

Another concern of mine is that the holidays will probably slow things down :( 

Right- time taken off, federal holidays, etc. 

What does everyone think about traveling during this process? I ask just because my spouse is a French citizen, although her case is at this Montreal consulate (long story). At any rate, she was returned her passport. The CO did not advise her not to travel or anything. 

I did speak to a caseworker who specializes in this at my local congresswoman's office and they said that of course traveling to USA during administrative processing is moronic, however visiting her home country should really be ok. My spouse would like to visit sick family (her grand mother) as well as tackle some freelance work opportunities in her home country of France. Half of me says, of course returning to your home country for a week or two is fine. The other half of me (the paranoid half) imagines that they are monitoring her every move and for whatever reason, any travel during this time would be viewed negatively, or that we would have to submit updated travel info and delay everything further, blabla... 

It just seems to me that there is no way we will have this processed before Xmas, so why not handle some things in France and return timely to Canada while she can? Does anyone know here of why general travel would be frowned upon, especially if it is just done for work/personal reasons? She is in Canada on a work visa (not PR). 

Edited by Frankphoto

2 hours ago, Frankphoto said:

It just seems to me that there is no way we will have this processed before Xmas, so why not handle some things in France and return timely to Canada while she can? Does anyone know here of why general travel would be frowned upon, especially if it is just done for work/personal reasons? She is in Canada on a work visa (not PR). 

I haven't heard of anything against travel to countries besides the USA but I'm not 100% sure. I wonder if the consulate can clarify? 

Timeline

Some progress. I received an email today at 3:07pm confirming that they have received my DS-5535 which I emailed them on Nov 2nd. Case status is also showing last updated today. 

2 hours ago, Danii said:

Does anyone else check this thread regularly for updates? 😅 I hope everyone that submitted in Sept/Oct will hear good news soon  

Yea, I have both threads open in my browser tabs and check it every couple of hours, or if I hear the chime when someone posts something, I quickly check what it is haha.

My wife and I also alternate checking the CEAC status hourly for any updates...we're sick people, but who can blame us! Lol

Fingers crossed indeed. It's been 40 days since my interview today.

1 hour ago, DrJanko10 said:

Yea, I have both threads open in my browser tabs and check it every couple of hours, or if I hear the chime when someone posts something, I quickly check what it is haha.

My wife and I also alternate checking the CEAC status hourly for any updates...we're sick people, but who can blame us! Lol

Fingers crossed indeed. It's been 40 days since my interview today.

It's been 13 days for me. Everyday has felt like a week of time. It's like 2 years in dog years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Posts and replies not about DS 5535 split off and merged to the Mega thread~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Hello everyone. Thank you for sharing your experiences and timelines. Here is my Canadian wife's timeline:

Interviewed in Montreal on 10/13/2021 -- (Refused but they kept her passport)

Received DS-5535 on the same day, about 1-2 hours after the interview. 

She filled it out and sent it back to them on the same day.

As of today, the status still says "Refused", last updated 10/15/2021. It has been about 45 days now. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.