ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: E-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 3/26/2022 at 2:52 PM, EB1A_Stuck_AP said:

Will do! If you do some research, you will find that there are a bunch of mandamus lawsuits launched against Montreal consulate.  I am aware of 26 such cases since summer of 2020. Out of which 16 have been closed as the outcome was achieved. 10 are still outstanding. So I assume, there are at least 10 WoM lawsuits that Montreal consulate is suppose to be handling.  Montreal consulate recently posted two job openings with deadline to apply March 25, 2022, titled: Security Investigators. From the job description it seemed like these resources would be dedicated to conducting background checks and address cases stuck in AP.  From my research at most 10% of the people go for WoM who are stuck in AP. Extending the logic means there are likely 100s of files stuck in AP to justify two positions of $126k worth salary/year each.  Let's see what happens.  Its completely disappointing to see what law abiding individuals with clean record with top secret security clearance from Canadian governments has to go through all this nonsense bureaucracy  and red tape. Now, I do admit; I have wide and deep travel history but that's what talent and hard work does to you! You go see the world!  Wishing the best to you all.

when was your interview? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

i feel like there has been zero movement on the DS5535 cases in the past couple of weeks

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Hello everyone, hope you all waiting for an answer get it ASAP. Wao how long will this last, it’s crazy.

Timeline
21 minutes ago, AdrianHar said:

Is anyone else's passport still at the  embassy? 

Also does anyone have a 221G along with the 5535?

if you got DS-5535, it is usually under 221g. 

22 minutes ago, AdrianHar said:

Is anyone else's passport still at the  embassy? 

Also does anyone have a 221G along with the 5535?

They gave my passport back when i had the interview... that's how I knew I was screwed right off.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Randomwalk said:

They gave me my passport back as well, I had 221g also that said require additional information and then they sent me DS 5535 😂

Yes 221g is the section of the Immigration and Nationality Act that they use to refuse the visa. I don't know of any other section of the law that they give DS-5535 under, but I could be wrong. As far as I know, *every* person that received DS-5535 is refused under 221g, whether they got a piece of paper saying so or not.

54 minutes ago, AdrianHar said:

Omg

I am getting onto almost 6 months myself. 155 days since interview today, 152 since submitting the form.

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, ice-qube said:

if you got DS-5535, it is usually under 221g. 

They gave my passport back when i had the interview... that's how I knew I was screwed right off.

Here is the kicker. They kept our passports. Told us, expect DS-5535, should be quick and don't need to come back for the interview and can keep the passports to expedite the process. 

Fast forward, kids missed their regular March-break getaway from Canadian weather  onslaught! They robbed us from 6 months of window of opportunity of travel by keeping out passport. Hopefully, they can explain their intent and competence to the Judge!! Can't wait for it to play it out. I love it!!!! Life is an experience and this only adds more to the learning and joy of life! Spicy...

Timeline
5 minutes ago, EB1A_Stuck_AP said:

Here is the kicker. They kept our passports. Told us, expect DS-5535, should be quick and don't need to come back for the interview and can keep the passports to expedite the process. 

Most here were told they same - “this is not unusual. Should only take a few days/ weeks…”

I have a theory they are trained to say that, in order avoid people panicking / having an outbreak while inside the consulate. You walk out a little disconcerted, but hopeful, and then you realise this is an indefinite wait. Ofcourse then you have no way to really communicate with them…

If this is true, it is nothing short of heartless…people are separated from their spouses and kids for years… the toll this process takes on relationships is immeasurable…. 

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Most here were told they same - “this is not unusual. Should only take a few days/ weeks…”

I have a theory they are trained to say that, in order avoid people panicking / having an outbreak while inside the consulate. You walk out a little disconcerted, but hopeful, and then you realise this is an indefinite wait. Ofcourse then you have no way to really communicate with them…

If this is true, it is nothing short of heartless…people are separated from their spouses and kids for years… the toll this process takes on relationships is immeasurable…. 

I agree. They likely are trained to behave and act in that manner. However, the sheer amount of delay just boggles the mind of their incompetence and lack of seriousness.

I do feel bad for the ones that are separated from their loved ones. Definitely the harm is immense and heartbreaking in those cases.

Hi guys,

New here but I have been lurking.

Coming up on 580 days since NOA1. I've had one of the longest I-129F processing times I've seen with no RFEs. Think nightmare is over, go to interview and get hit with DS-5355. Probably because I work in STEM but who really knows why.

Do you think they will be sensitive to the fact my case has been open for over a year an a half? The point of the K-1 Visa is for you to be able to start living with your fiance right away. I'm ready to get married and start our life together and it just seems that this will never end. My whole life has been in limbo for the last 1.5 years.

I updated the spreadsheet with some K-1 cases I found in an FB group. It looks like for people who get approved, the average is 75 days. So far no one hit with the DS-5355 since December has been approved except for OutWest99.

Just for my information, for a mandamus lawsuit, the minimum wait time - is it from time of visa application or from time of going into AP?

Do you think I should I just get married and start all over again? At least I'd be able to visit my fiance for a bit.

DS-5355 MTL 03-30-2022.png

1 minute ago, herecomestherain said:

Hi guys,

New here but I have been lurking.

Coming up on 580 days since NOA1. I've had one of the longest I-129F processing times I've seen with no RFEs. Think nightmare is over, go to interview and get hit with DS-5355. Probably because I work in STEM but who really knows why.

Do you think they will be sensitive to the fact my case has been open for over a year an a half? The point of the K-1 Visa is for you to be able to start living with your fiance right away. I'm ready to get married and start our life together and it just seems that this will never end. My whole life has been in limbo for the last 1.5 years.

I updated the spreadsheet with some K-1 cases I found in an FB group. It looks like for people who get approved, the average is 75 days. So far no one hit with the DS-5355 since December has been approved except for OutWest99.

Just for my information, for a mandamus lawsuit, the minimum wait time - is it from time of visa application or from time of going into AP?

Do you think I should I just get married and start all over again? At least I'd be able to visit my fiance for a bit.

DS-5355 MTL 03-30-2022.png

@Danii, thanks for tracking this stuff and keeping us sane.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.