ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Danii said:

I got the same thing! I have misplaced it since cause it didn't seem important in the moment. I completely missed that part you highlighted, hopefully 6-8 weeks is right. It was really promising to hear that it took OGFan about 6.5 weeks

I agree, that was one of the most heartening things I have heard, his result in around 45 days. That is a reasonable turnaround time as far as this stuff goes, and I hope all of us here will receive similar.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, DrJanko10 said:

I also have that.

There is definitely reason for optimism in this regard since OGFan's response in 45 days came in under the timeline we see on this sheet.

Timeline
13 hours ago, DS5535 said:

Did they keep your passport? I sent mine on Nov 9th and has been updated Nov 11th, Nov 13th and Nov 15th. Is due to passport being with it?

Yes they kept my passport. No updates to my case whatsoever. No email response other than the initial request for DS-5535 

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Frankphoto said:

My wife had her interview on 11/8, we submitted the DS-5535 on 11/11. Today I logged into CEAC to see the "last updated" changed to 11/15 (from 11/8). No confirmation email. 

Well that is good, at least someone or something registered that you actually sent the email. Lol, lowered expectations, right?

I sent an email on Nov. 1st with questions about this whole situation. They didn't answer me within the 5 business days, so I sent a follow up email on Nov. 9th, and they answered me shortly after. My case was not updated.

Today I got an email from the consulate in reply to my original email from Nov. 1st (with a generic answer of course). But this time, my "case last updated" has changed to today's date. 

Not sure if my case was actually updated with something, or did it change because of the email. My wife read somewhere that when they answer your email, it updates your case, but why wasn't it updated when they first answered me if that is true? I hate being in the dark haha.

7 minutes ago, DrJanko10 said:

I sent an email on Nov. 1st with questions about this whole situation. They didn't answer me within the 5 business days, so I sent a follow up email on Nov. 9th, and they answered me shortly after. My case was not updated.

Today I got an email from the consulate in reply to my original email from Nov. 1st (with a generic answer of course). But this time, my "case last updated" has changed to today's date. 

Not sure if my case was actually updated with something, or did it change because of the email. My wife read somewhere that when they answer your email, it updates your case, but why wasn't it updated when they first answered me if that is true? I hate being in the dark haha.

It's possible, or maybe they just check your case after they see your email? Since I didn't receive a confirmation of submission (it's been 7 days), I asked my husband to send in an inquiry and they replied within 24 hours lol. This is also the first time my case has been updated since I submitted DS-5535 so you could be right...

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Danii said:

It's possible, or maybe they just check your case after they see your email? Since I didn't receive a confirmation of submission (it's been 7 days), I asked my husband to send in an inquiry and they replied within 24 hours lol. This is also the first time my case has been updated since I submitted DS-5535 so you could be right...

I am of two minds on this. On the one hand, I think, this is just typical bureaucratic nonsense where the thoroughness of following process is just up to the individual functionary handling it. On the other hand, the more suspicious side of me wonders if they don't do it on purpose, to obscure the process to the public so they can keep their cards close to their chest, so to speak. I think the latter gives them way too much credit, but it does cross my mind...

4 hours ago, Frankphoto said:

Just doublechecking that thus far, 45 days is the quickest known turn-around of a visa after DS-5535 submission to the Montreal consulate, correct? 

Seems like it. I've only seen a few other cases at Montreal that were issued DS5535, but they were all before 2020. Honestly, they took a lot of time, but I'm assuming we cannot compare our cases? I've seen a few other consulates approve around the 45-60 day mark recently, but consulates probably can't be compared too.

Timeline
9 hours ago, Danii said:

Seems like it. I've only seen a few other cases at Montreal that were issued DS5535, but they were all before 2020. Honestly, they took a lot of time, but I'm assuming we cannot compare our cases? I've seen a few other consulates approve around the 45-60 day mark recently, but consulates probably can't be compared too.

Yeah I have reservations about making any comparisons because this seems like a new phenomenon. The 45 day turnaround on this guy's case gives reason for optimism, I think.

Timeline
19 hours ago, Frankphoto said:

Just doublechecking that thus far, 45 days is the quickest known turn-around of a visa after DS-5535 submission to the Montreal consulate, correct? 

Quickest turn around I have read about is 45 days, but from my research 60-180 days is the norm. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, deep2ca said:

Quickest turn around I have read about is 45 days, but from my research 60-180 days is the norm. 

True, but did those people get a paper saying wait 6-8 weeks for a response from their consulate? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.