ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
52 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

but i mean did they just say, we see you are in immigration process, and then ask, or you *offered* that fact?

No she didn’t “see” anything on my file that would indicate I’m in administrative processing. The question was where I was going and who lives there. I told her I’m visiting my husband and that’s when she asked “who is sponsoring who” 

Edited by candyg

1 hour ago, UiiiU said:

Just checked the CEAC website and my DS-260 application stated it was "re-opened" with an expiration date application to be completed by March 30th, 2022-- what does this mean? Has anyone experienced this? (My interview has been over a year already)

I've seen this happen to a few other people and think it's common after many months have passed. I believe this problem was resolved after contacting NVC. Not sure of the details, but I would suggest you contact NVC as soon as you can and see what they say. 

Filed: E-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 3/11/2022 at 8:41 PM, Danii said:

I've seen this happen to a few other people and think it's common after many months have passed. I believe this problem was resolved after contacting NVC. Not sure of the details, but I would suggest you contact NVC as soon as you can and see what they say. 

Good luck to all in waiting! This is the last possible week before the medical expires. Hopefully this is the week!

Timeline
3 hours ago, ohmygod said:

Good luck to all in waiting! This is the last possible week before the medical expires. Hopefully this is the week!

My medical expires in about 1 month...hoping y'all with closer medical expiration dates hear back this week, fingers crossed. At this point I'm coming to terms with having to do a second medical...another 300$ down the drain, if the cost hasn't gone up yet like everything else in life 😝 hoping for this week to be good news here!

Timeline

14 days for my mom before her's expires. But probably need the visa issued this week to make it to USA before the expiration. The cost of second medical is ok, but the wait and unknown and further delays that a second medical will cause is infuriating

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Timeline

i emailed my congressman asking for an update for the request i sent on march 1, i was so annoyed and let it know in my email

"I am looking for some miracle here. its disheartening that a 63 year old woman needs to go through such an extensive background check, even after being cleared by all background agencies and sent to interview. What kind of threat does a 63 year old Canadian citizen, retired, pose to the US? what triggered her to get a DS 5535 form? a policy setup by Trump administration to weed our hard criminals from certain countries, when did a canadian fall under these guidelines?"

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

1 hour ago, hkn1 said:

My medical expires in about 1 month...hoping y'all with closer medical expiration dates hear back this week, fingers crossed. At this point I'm coming to terms with having to do a second medical...another 300$ down the drain, if the cost hasn't gone up yet like everything else in life 😝 hoping for this week to be good news here!

I would advise everyone to avoid the Montreal clinic if they're thinking about it in the future. It was overall a very smooth process but it cost around $540 (standard visit with one vaccine, but that's still around 450ish!) Better to go to Toronto!

Edited by Danii

Timeline
3 hours ago, BatmanFlow said:

14 days for my mom before her's expires. But probably need the visa issued this week to make it to USA before the expiration. The cost of second medical is ok, but the wait and unknown and further delays that a second medical will cause is infuriating

6 days left on my medical. nada.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

6 days left on my medical. nada.

sorry dude, looks like another medical is inevitable now :(

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

Timeline
2 hours ago, BatmanFlow said:

i emailed my congressman asking for an update for the request i sent on march 1, i was so annoyed and let it know in my email

"I am looking for some miracle here. its disheartening that a 63 year old woman needs to go through such an extensive background check, even after being cleared by all background agencies and sent to interview. What kind of threat does a 63 year old Canadian citizen, retired, pose to the US? what triggered her to get a DS 5535 form? a policy setup by Trump administration to weed our hard criminals from certain countries, when did a canadian fall under these guidelines?"

It is unreal that they are using this form against us. I feel like it is being used in such a way as to purposefully slow the flow of immigrants, in general, even as they sped up the other parts of the process. And it has fallen hard on your mom and people like me, because now we are caught in this web. And they can pretty much keep it going indefinitely, at their whim. Exactly why, I have no clue.

Timeline
1 minute ago, ice-qube said:

It is unreal that they are using this form against us. I feel like it is being used in such a way as to purposefully slow the flow of immigrants, in general, even as they sped up the other parts of the process. And it has fallen hard on your mom and people like me, because now we are caught in this web. And they can pretty much keep it going indefinitely, at their whim. Exactly why, I have no clue.

yea its ridiculous how they apply this form to anyone they want, no real set guidelines at all, and of course no timeline either.

there's no accountability at all, would love a job like this where i have nothing to worry about or deadline to meet

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

Timeline
3 minutes ago, BatmanFlow said:

yea its ridiculous how they apply this form to anyone they want, no real set guidelines at all, and of course no timeline either.

there's no accountability at all, would love a job like this where i have nothing to worry about or deadline to meet

The open-endedness is most troubling of all the aspects. Now that my medical is expiring, how much longer will I wait? Even just for the communication indicating that i am *allowed* to go get the second medical? Then once done, how long to wait? There is no indication of anything. Literally, it could be any amount of time. I never thought this AP would stretch my timeline to the five additional months it has; now I can’t even conceive of when this will be resolved.

Timeline
23 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

mine is until March 24th. I am not sure how they calculate 6 months, so around that

They take whatever day you had medical, and say exactly six months from then. Not by days really just by the month. So mine was Sept 20, so it expires Mar 20

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.