ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 11/13/2021 at 1:45 PM, deep2ca said:

I have checked the CEAC tracker, there have been no updates on my file and no response / confirmation to either email. 

This all strikes me as odd, how some get confirmations, some get just the file updated without confirmations, and some get nothing.

For me, they updated my file in the tracker on the same day (or latest perhaps the next day) as I sent in the DS-5535, but no confirmation or response emails. Also, I sent a follow-up email a couple of days after that adding another social media handle (this one) and there was neither a response nor an update in the tracker.

Timeline
1 hour ago, DS5535 said:

Did they keep your passport? I sent mine on Nov 9th and has been updated Nov 11th, Nov 13th and Nov 15th. Is due to passport being with it?

I envy you guys who have their passports kept or have been asked for them. When the officer handed me back my passport at the consulate, in my mind I was like, "oh man, is this going to be another 6 months or a year, what is this?".

3 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

I envy you guys who have their passports kept or have been asked for them. When the officer handed me back my passport at the consulate, in my mind I was like, "oh man, is this going to be another 6 months or a year, what is this?".

Don't be, I'm heading into year 3 of this application.

Timeline
Just now, DS5535 said:

Don't be, I'm heading into year 3 of this application.

Yes you and I both, really. My priority date was June 19, 2019. This is now, what, 2.5 years. Best case scenario (heh) Uncle Sam gives me some answer within two months here. Year 3 is coming fast.

14 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

Yes you and I both, really. My priority date was June 19, 2019. This is now, what, 2.5 years. Best case scenario (heh) Uncle Sam gives me some answer within two months here. Year 3 is coming fast.

Send us good vibes, I am not bragging about any of this. My 3rd year is in 1 month and 10 days.

Timeline
Just now, DS5535 said:

Send us good vibes, I am not bragging about any of this. My 3rd year is in 1 month and 10 days.

I am hoping for the best for all! I don't even know how my marriage has survived this...

1 hour ago, DS5535 said:

Did they keep your passport? I sent mine on Nov 9th and has been updated Nov 11th, Nov 13th and Nov 15th. Is due to passport being with it?

26 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

I don't think the passport makes a difference. They kept mine and we have the same interview/submission date, but my case hasn't been touched. @ice-qube I know it's hard not to worry, but I don't think your passport will delay processing! I've seen a few people who got out of this within 1-2 months even though their passport was returned. The consulate will ask you to send it (I think it will have to be priority mail?) and most of them were received within 1 day. Do you live nearby Montreal? You could always drop it off too.

Edited by Danii

Timeline
1 minute ago, Danii said:

I don't think the passport makes a difference. They kept mine and we have the same interview/submission date, but my case hasn't been touched. @ice-qube I know it's hard not to worry, but I don't think your passport will delay processing! I've seen a few people who got out of this within 1-2 months even though their passport was returned. The consulate will ask you to send it (I think it will have to be priority mail?) and most of them were received within 1 day. Do you live nearby Montreal? You could always drop it off too.

I am not worried about sending it back when they ask me, that I know can be done fast. It is that they gave it back to me at all, it seemed to signify, "no we don't plan on approving you any time soon." Perhaps it is meaningless and this very well could be an incorrect interpretation, but the act of giving it back *felt* like that was what was happening. Reality doesn't care about my feelings, of course, so who knows. Trying to stay positive, but I naturally have considerable cynicism about bureaucratic processes, in general. 

*ON THE OTHER HAND*: I just thought of as I read through the posts in the last few days about timelines: when the consular officer refused me he also gave me the refusal worksheet (the piece of paper with the reason being 221(g) on it, and a general cover page paper-clipped to it. I don't know if everyone got this cover page, but the wording used (I don't have it in front of me this moment) was like "please allow 6-8 weeks for a response". Although the consular officer indicated there was no specific timeline, that is what this cover page says. Did anyone also get that cover page?

2 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

I am not worried about sending it back when they ask me, that I know can be done fast. It is that they gave it back to me at all, it seemed to signify, "no we don't plan on approving you any time soon." Perhaps it is meaningless and this very well could be an incorrect interpretation, but the act of giving it back *felt* like that was what was happening. Reality doesn't care about my feelings, of course, so who knows. Trying to stay positive, but I naturally have considerable cynicism about bureaucratic processes, in general. 

*ON THE OTHER HAND*: I just thought of as I read through the posts in the last few days about timelines: when the consular officer refused me he also gave me the refusal worksheet (the piece of paper with the reason being 221(g) on it, and a general cover page paper-clipped to it. I don't know if everyone got this cover page, but the wording used (I don't have it in front of me this moment) was like "please allow 6-8 weeks for a response". Although the consular officer indicated there was no specific timeline, that is what this cover page says. Did anyone also get that cover page?

I never received or saw that. We were talking about what's next and where were we going to live. I said "With a child on the way, I have to really sit down with my wife and have a solid plan". Handed him my lease in the California to which he kept then sent me on my way to fill out a "Questionnaire" 

Thats it. Blind sided.

Timeline
Just now, DS5535 said:

I never received or saw that. We were talking about what's next and where were we going to live. I said "With a child on the way, I have to really sit down with my wife and have a solid plan". Handed him my lease in the California to which he kept then sent me on my way to fill out a "Questionnaire" 

Thats it. Blind sided.

Blind-sided is a good way to describe how I felt. I actually thought my interview was going fine up until that moment, and then boom, hit me with the "we're not going to be approving your visa today, we are sending you to administrative processing, you will have to fill out a questionnaire and get it back to us", whatever he was saying after that sort of became a blur, I mean I was listening to it all but I was a bit shocked and so I couldn't think that fast. Nonetheless, he gave me this form paper-clipped to the refusal sheet. I don't know if anyone else got it. 

15 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

Can you upload a picture of it? 

Edit: Oops, didn't finish typing. The officer that was interviewing me (different than yours, she was a lady at window 3, I think), was going to return my passport. I asked if she can keep it, to which she said it doesn't matter, but she can keep it if it'll make me feel better lol. I think @DS5535 was in a similar situation? I really hope it doesn't make a difference and that your case is processed quickly. But I know what you mean, in that moment it felt like "ok we're going to delay your case, take your passport and go home"

Edited by Danii

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Danii said:

Can you upload a picture of it? 

3 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

sure ya I will scan and upload it here.

Completing-Visa-Applications-Montreal-Infosheet.pdf

4 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

I got the same thing! I have misplaced it since cause it didn't seem important in the moment. I completely missed that part you highlighted, hopefully 6-8 weeks is right. It was really promising to hear that it took OGFan about 6.5 weeks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.