ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, JR90 said:

Sorry to hear! I've seen people say the process can take a few weeks but I've yet to see any evidence of that -- seems most people are 50+ days. The spreadsheet data seems really grim. 

Thanks. I know , this forum gave me nightmares. I saw another update just now, so a total of 4 updates so far - Feb 8, 11, 14, 25. I think the previous batch didn't get updates this quickly, so I am hoping they are speeding things up. fingers crossed!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
18 minutes ago, SN-2022 said:

For people who got DS5535, how many updates did you see before your status changed to 'application received'? I know it's probably different for each individual case, but trying to see if there is a pattern. 

Application received? I don't think that is a thing in the CEAC status tracker. They don't actually acknowledge receipt of it explicitly, as far as I remember. it was 120 days ago, of course.

Timeline
1 minute ago, ice-qube said:

Application received? I don't think that is a thing in the CEAC status tracker. They don't actually acknowledge receipt of it explicitly, as far as I remember. it was 120 days ago, of course.

Might be a difference for K1 visas?

Timeline
Just now, From_CAN_2_US said:

Might be a difference for K1 visas?

Ya I have no idea about it then. I was never given an "Application Received" status from sending in DS-5535. My status has been "Refused" this whole time, all the way up until this moment.

Timeline
49 minutes ago, SN-2022 said:

Thanks. I know , this forum gave me nightmares. I saw another update just now, so a total of 4 updates so far - Feb 8, 11, 14, 25. I think the previous batch didn't get updates this quickly, so I am hoping they are speeding things up. fingers crossed!

I hope you will be approved ASAP. I am here waiting 120 days since submission, 123 days since my interview. Very disheartening.

Timeline
Just now, SN-2022 said:

yes K-1 visas go from Refused --> Ready --> Application received --> Issued. I am also still refused since i submitted my ds5535

Ah yes ok. It looks like Application Received then has no proximate relationship to the submission of the DS-5535, it is more like a status change later in the sequence.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, SN-2022 said:

yes K-1 visas go from Refused --> Ready --> Application received --> Administrative processsing --> Issued. I am also still refused since i submitted my ds5535

This is not a strict rule. Mine went from Refused to Application received and then back to Refused, where it's sat for another month and a half.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Rosinasaur said:

This is not a strict rule. Mine went from Refused to Application received and then back to Refused, where it's sat for another month and a half.

Such a lovely process for all! Since this week came and went, I am now basically left with next week as the last practicable week in which they can issue me this visa because it takes time to go to consulate, get processed and sent back and for me to arrange to cross at a POE. Otherwise, time is going to run out on the medical, and back into yet another sub-process that needs be cleared.

Timeline
58 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

Such a lovely process for all! Since this week came and went, I am now basically left with next week as the last practicable week in which they can issue me this visa because it takes time to go to consulate, get processed and sent back and for me to arrange to cross at a POE. Otherwise, time is going to run out on the medical, and back into yet another sub-process that needs be cleared.

when did you do your medical? my parents did it on Sept 25, and on my dads visa he had until March 31 to enter.

Did you do your medical a month prior to the interview?

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Apologies if this has been covered, but a couple questions:

1. How did you actually collect 15 years of travel history?  Since this is a Canadian forum, did you just file a travel history request with CBSA?  It seems they go back to August 1, 2000, which would cover this well enough.
  2. Is there any consensus around submitting extra documentation during the NVC process to avoid this mess?  I see folks having to submit Court, Medical, Police, Employment records to suffice.  If any could do this over, would you attach these into CEAC?

Timeline
28 minutes ago, BatmanFlow said:

when did you do your medical? my parents did it on Sept 25, and on my dads visa he had until March 31 to enter.

Did you do your medical a month prior to the interview?

Ya it was about a month. I took what spot was available and even though i was early, they only got my medical transmitted to the consulate like three days before or something!

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

Apologies if this has been covered, but a couple questions:

1. How did you actually collect 15 years of travel history?  Since this is a Canadian forum, did you just file a travel history request with CBSA?  It seems they go back to August 1, 2000, which would cover this well enough.
  2. Is there any consensus around submitting extra documentation during the NVC process to avoid this mess?  I see folks having to submit Court, Medical, Police, Employment records to suffice.  If any could do this over, would you attach these into CEAC?

1. i used multiple sources, including the CBP website to check entry and exit to the US, travel sites i might have used, scanned tickets, emails, and good old fashioned memory. the CBSA travel history takes like a month to get, so I didn't bother

2. I don't believe extra documentation would have avoided anything.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.