ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, A.Jon.Satko said:

Has anyone had any luck contacting their Senator? If so, what was your experience or is contacting them just another black hole?

I did also. The senator basically told us to wait 90 days before we contact him and also said, The U.S. State Department states that while most administrative processing is completed within 60-90 days, additional time may be required based on the individual circumstances of each case."

Hello everyone: 2 weeks ago, the Consulate asked me to send back my passport via their courier. I thought this was encouraging news, as I assumed the Visa would be stamped and returned within a couple of days. No updates on CEAC since (still refused), nor any email confirmation regarding my passport. How long should I expect them to process the sent passport? They say it is first sent to an “offsite processing facility,” and later to the Visa Unit. Any experiences with the approximate timeframe? My medical expires in less than 1 month and we are worried.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Hello100 said:

Hello everyone: 2 weeks ago, the Consulate asked me to send back my passport via their courier. I thought this was encouraging news, as I assumed the Visa would be stamped and returned within a couple of days. No updates on CEAC since (still refused), nor any email confirmation regarding my passport. How long should I expect them to process the sent passport? They say it is first sent to an “offsite processing facility,” and later to the Visa Unit. Any experiences with the approximate timeframe? My medical expires in less than 1 month and we are worried.

This is good news and hope you will be issued soon. It is hard to know how long the consulate will take. We have seen people here get approved between 1 to 30 days after their clearance. Have you emailed the consulate to see if your passport was received?

My medical is also expiring in a month. We have not had a real update since Dec 20th. Hoping we all get approved soon.

Edited by Moe&Yas

5 minutes ago, Moe&Yas said:

This is good news and hope you will be issued soon. It is hard to know how long the consulate will take. We have seen people here get approved between 1 to 30 days after their clearance. Have you emailed the consulate to see if your passport was received?

My medical is also expiring in a month. We have not had a real update since Dec 20th. Hoping we all get approved soon.

Yes, I have emailed them to ask if they had received my passport, and all they said was that when tracking indicates that your document was "delivered," it does not mean it was delivered to the Consulate, but rather to an "offsite processing facility" (which isn't even in Montreal but in Saint Catherine). OP03 said it takes "a few days" for it to actually arrive at the Consulate's Visa Unit, but I cannot fully believe when they say "a few days" anymore, as "a few days" to them often means weeks, months, or even years.

1 hour ago, Hello100 said:

What date did they request your passport?

Timeline
58 minutes ago, Hello100 said:

They requested it on April 11th, I sent it the same day, and it arrived at their "offsite processing facility" on April 13th. No updates since.

Man you are on your way!

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Hello100 said:

I hope so man. Still waiting on the day when we meet up at a beach in Florida.

I look forward to that... however now that is 180 days for me in this black hole, I have started to lose hope that they will ever let me go.

Timeline
1 hour ago, SN-2022 said:

They seem to be moving very slow with everything. I hope you will be issued soon. 

Slow with everything... ha! You win... understatement of the year. 183 days since my interview, 180 days since DS-5535 submitted. He seems to be getting downright speedy service!

Timeline
2 hours ago, Hello100 said:

Yes, I have emailed them to ask if they had received my passport, and all they said was that when tracking indicates that your document was "delivered," it does not mean it was delivered to the Consulate, but rather to an "offsite processing facility" (which isn't even in Montreal but in Saint Catherine). OP03 said it takes "a few days" for it to actually arrive at the Consulate's Visa Unit, but I cannot fully believe when they say "a few days" anymore, as "a few days" to them often means weeks, months, or even years.

Did you mention in your email that your medicals are expiring soon? I would put it in subject “urgent - medicals expiring.”

That being said, I think (hope) they are aware of it and will issue your visa before your medical expires. Good luck!

2 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

I look forward to that... however now that is 180 days for me in this black hole, I have started to lose hope that they will ever let me go.

To help you feel some sense of hope, here's my story (so far):

I think that my wife and I might be one of only a few on here who have pursued Mandamus after waiting way longer than those who were already approved. Since then, we've been getting more updates on CEAC, and I highly doubt that they would ask me for anything were it not for the lawsuit. I think that you are in a good position and have merit to take on a lawsuit, and you shall see things open up once you do (in my estimation). Here's the main reason why I think it might help: there is a deadline that they must meet that the court sets. Without a lawsuit, they can continue infinitely doing what they are doing to you. I know that you say you cannot afford it, but work on saving some money for this matter. It might be a lot of money now, but you are essentially paying to get your life back with your wife and start a new, better life. Your life is worth way more than a few thousand dollars. Month-by-month, save up. If I had some extra money, I'd try to help you. Ask your family and friends, as well as, of course, your wife and her family for help. I've never met you (yet), but you are like a brother to me who has experienced similar things as me: you are Canadian (born and raised), waited so long for your Visa, your wife is from Miami (I think), as is mine, we've both been placed in Administrative Processing for such a long time (and for no apparent reason), and I feel for you. Once again, perhaps try this option, and hopefully we'll meet to talk about our experiences in-person one day soon! All the best to you man!

6 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Did you mention in your email that your medicals are expiring soon? I would put it in subject “urgent - medicals expiring.”

That being said, I think (hope) they are aware of it and will issue your visa before your medical expires. Good luck!

No, I have not mentioned that. I actually think that might backfire on me. My wife and I started a Mandamus lawsuit about a month and a half ago, and the Court set the deadline for them to respond by May 29th. Alas, my Medical expires just 6 days before the court deadline (May 23rd), and I feel that the Consulate will use that information to stall and try to expire my Medical on purpose so that they can have an excuse in Court to claim that they need an "extension" due to the applicant (me) not having an updated Medical and that they cannot move forward in issuing my Visa as a result of that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.