ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Danii said:

I agree with this. It's likely that the inquiry does nothing but it's not too hard to do, so might as well if you have some free time. The few people who did get a rep involved + got approval sent the inquiry around the 30-40ish day mark and got approved around 50 days. It's possible that their cases were going to be approved at that time regardless of the rep. It's anecdotal evidence at this point, but like you said, doesn't hurt to try! 

Edit: just randomly remembered this- it's also worth it to try because we don't know exactly what's wrong with our case. I think for +95% of cases, it's actually just in AP/waiting for clearance, but for others, there may be something else happening. There was one user on the main Montreal thread who was put into AP without DS5535/additional document request. When she got her rep involved, the consulate finally informed her that her fingerprints actually didn't save on their system so they couldn't process the case! She had to go back in person to redo them. I believe in situations like that, if a rep isn't involved, it would take a long time for Montreal to catch their mistake. 

Hi! I sometimes lurk this thread to see if any of you have made it to the other side - congrats to those that have! I feel for you that haven't yet as I too waited a long time for no reason at all.

I am the person with the fingerprint issue. So the main thing I just wanted to say was that I was never in AP. My status just never changed from 'Ready' so I believe that may be why the involvement from our senator was helpful because I wasn't on an AP list but literally just forgotten about after they made their error... I've been reading here and it looks like when you're placed in AP is when the involvement doesn't help as much, but honestly I would say go for it because in my case, it was the reason I got to the other side.

Best of luck to you all! 

6 minutes ago, katcat29 said:

Hi! I sometimes lurk this thread to see if any of you have made it to the other side - congrats to those that have! I feel for you that haven't yet as I too waited a long time for no reason at all.

I am the person with the fingerprint issue. So the main thing I just wanted to say was that I was never in AP. My status just never changed from 'Ready' so I believe that may be why the involvement from our senator was helpful because I wasn't on an AP list but literally just forgotten about after they made their error... I've been reading here and it looks like when you're placed in AP is when the involvement doesn't help as much, but honestly I would say go for it because in my case, it was the reason I got to the other side.

Best of luck to you all! 

Thank you for correcting that!! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

mid week and almost 4 months since moms DS5535 was sent and about three weeks since step dads medical was received by the consulate.

wonder what will happen first, they get their visa or this pandemic comes to an end. 😏

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, BatmanFlow said:

mid week and almost 4 months since moms DS5535 was sent and about three weeks since step dads medical was received by the consulate.

wonder what will happen first, they get their visa or this pandemic comes to an end. 😏

Ya I don't get what the delay is here. I am now at 90 days since DS-5535 submission. No updates or answers from email of two weeks ago. Is 13 weeks not a sufficient amount of time to do a security review on someone?

I sent a public inquiry to the consulate (using their online form) on 1/19. I received the standard template reply today from OP03. 

My wife's case remains "refused", last updated 1/6/22, so it did not update due to this email. 

I will be calling my congresswoman's office today to speak to the caseworker who was assigned to me. I've been speaking with their office since November; obviously it has not yet made any dent. I didn't expect it to to be honest- I was hoping they could get some more detailed information about the status of where things are at. But that doesn't seem possible either. 

5 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

Ya I don't get what the delay is here. I am now at 90 days since DS-5535 submission. No updates or answers from email of two weeks ago. Is 13 weeks not a sufficient amount of time to do a security review on someone?

Totally share your frustration. For what it's worth, our timeline is similar to yours, we submitted our petition in June of 2019. 

Edited by Frankphoto

Timeline

How long does it take for the mailroom to deliver documents (my passport) to the consulate office? 

I have sent an email (jan 18) and an online public inquiry (jan20) to see if they have my passport as they requested twice(second time the day after passport was delivered) 

I almost feel like they requested my passport back to give me false hope that something was happening. So frustrating 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Frankphoto said:

I sent a public inquiry to the consulate (using their online form) on 1/19. I received the standard template reply today from OP03. 

My wife's case remains "refused", last updated 1/6/22, so it did not update due to this email. 

I will be calling my congresswoman's office today to speak to the caseworker who was assigned to me. I've been speaking with their office since November; obviously it has not yet made any dent. I didn't expect it to to be honest- I was hoping they could get some more detailed information about the status of where things are at. But that doesn't seem possible either. 

Totally share your frustration. For what it's worth, our timeline is similar to yours, we submitted our petition in June of 2019. 

I just can't believe a spousal immigrant visa coming from Canada has taken more than 2.5 years. It is so incredibly frustrating now, because it seems like there is no end in sight. My medical expires on March 20.

1 minute ago, Hamlet said:

How long does it take for the mailroom to deliver documents (my passport) to the consulate office? 

I have sent an email (jan 18) and an online public inquiry (jan20) to see if they have my passport as they requested twice(second time the day after passport was delivered) 

I almost feel like they requested my passport back to give me false hope that something was happening. So frustrating 

It's really unbelievable, I can't believe even that is lost in delays...

Timeline
Just now, ice-qube said:

I just can't believe a spousal immigrant visa coming from Canada has taken more than 2.5 years. It is so incredibly frustrating now, because it seems like there is no end in sight. My medical expires on March 20.

My medical expires May 10. 

21 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

It's really unbelievable, I can't believe even that is lost in delays...

My spouse is actually from France. Our situation is weird, since we met when both living in the Caribbean. I am now in NYC, she initially moved to Montreal to be as close as possible (work visa)- I proposed, and thus this nightmare began. At any rate France is not on the *** list with USA either so... 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Frankphoto said:

My spouse is actually from France. Our situation is weird, since we met when both living in the Caribbean. I am now in NYC, she initially moved to Montreal to be as close as possible (work visa)- I proposed, and thus this nightmare began. At any rate France is not on the *** list with USA either so... 

Yeah there is really no good reason on the surface that this should take so long.

Timeline

I just called the general inquiry number in Montreal. The lady said that they have received my passport and that the consulate is backed up in issuing visas and can take several weeks. She also confirmed that when they ask for your passport back that they are ready to stamp it. She said to just be patient and keeps checking the tracker. 

i still won’t believe it until my status changes to issued or I get a response to my email or public inquiry25ACB61C-08C1-4EE9-8200-0C74024563E5.thumb.png.7cd1d80eb43f64da69fb5a4f5c537319.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.