ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Danii said:

I'm thinking of putting together a FAQ (using answers in the threads) as that may be easier for any new comers here than reading all the pages. 

I received my passport today and noticed something interesting. At the bottom of the visa, there is an annotation that says "clearance received Dec-17 2021". I remember getting an update that day, and then again on Dec 20. So it looks like it took almost 2 weeks for Montreal to issue the visa after they received this clearance... Looks like the updates aren't always meaningless!

Congratulations!  May I ask, were your updates in response to emails that you had sent to the consulate. All my updates were in response to my emails except for December 30. Just trying to figure all this out. Thanks for all your help and support. It is greatly appreciated!

Just spoke with FB User RC, her husband's clearance was received 3 weeks before the visa was issued 🤔 I remember her saying that she didn't have any update for at least 2-3 weeks before it was approved, so that lines up. I wonder why there is such a long gap, what other work do they need to do afterwards? I wonder if sometimes they just forget about the case? Either way, this helps us understand updates a bit better. I'll keep a track of it. 

8 minutes ago, Redie said:

Congratulations!  May I ask, were your updates in response to emails that you had sent to the consulate. All my updates were in response to my emails except for December 30. Just trying to figure all this out. Thanks for all your help and support. It is greatly appreciated!

Thank you! Quite a few of mine were because of emails, but not the ones on Dec 17/20. The only other updates I had without an email before that was the day they sent DS5535 and another 2 weeks after.  

Just now, Danii said:

Thank you! Quite a few of mine were because of emails, but not the ones on Dec 17/20. The only other updates I had without an email before that was the day they sent DS5535 and another 2 weeks after.  

Hmm, I got updated on Dec 20 and again yesturday. I will remain positive I will see "issued" or approved soon 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, DS5535 said:

Hmm, I got updated on Dec 20 and again yesturday. I will remain positive I will see "issued" or approved soon 

You guys all doing better than me! I have turned sour on my outlook now as the days go and nothing happens. Too long already. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Danii said:

Just spoke with FB User RC, her husband's clearance was received 3 weeks before the visa was issued 🤔 I remember her saying that she didn't have any update for at least 2-3 weeks before it was approved, so that lines up. I wonder why there is such a long gap, what other work do they need to do afterwards? I wonder if sometimes they just forget about the case? Either way, this helps us understand updates a bit better. I'll keep a track of it. 

Thanks for your insight!

Timeline
1 minute ago, ice-qube said:

You guys all doing better than me! I have turned sour on my outlook now as the days go and nothing happens. Too long already. 

@ice-qubePraying that you hear something soon! You have been waiting too long!

Timeline
7 minutes ago, DS5535 said:

Dude, wish good for people and good will happen to you. Pessimism and negativity don't help at all.

I do wish for good for people, no question! But this is not hocus pocus. I am angry about the idiocy of bureaucracy. You can believe in magic and good vibes if you like.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Redie said:

@ice-qubePraying that you hear something soon! You have been waiting too long!

Thanks Redie! I wish all the best for you and the rest of the forum. 

4 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

I do wish for good for people, no question! But this is not hocus pocus. I am angry about the idiocy of bureaucracy. You can believe in magic and good vibes if you like.

I'm really angry too, no one should have to be in this process. I was speaking to a few friends about spousal visas in other countries and they were shocked to hear that it takes years for the US. Lots of other places only take a few months 😕 that's how it should be. This system is so broken. 

Timeline
Just now, Danii said:

I'm really angry too, no one should have to be in this process. I was speaking to a few friends about spousal visas in other countries and they were shocked to hear that it takes years for the US. Lots of other places only take a few months 😕 that's how it should be. This system is so broken. 

I totally agree!

Timeline
Just now, Danii said:

Yes, it doesn't make sense for a spousal visa from Canada to the US to take more than 2.5 years. It just doesn't. It's a fact that this system is broken, as there is no defensible reason even from a pure institutional performance perspective for this. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Danii said:

When I started, I was like, man this is going to probably take 1 to 1.5 years at this moment. Seemed daunting but psychologically and financially manageable. Now going to get somewhere around 2.5-3 years? No, not acceptable.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.