ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 12/28/2021 at 2:03 PM, Danii said:

Hey everyone, just wanted to share some info about reaching out to representatives. It seems like every office operates quite differently. I reached out to one congresswoman, who took on my case right away. The senator I reached out to said she does not inquire about any cases in AP. My friend was told by a congressmen that they can not inquire on her behalf until it's been 90 days since her interview. Another senator took on her case right away as well. If you get turned down by someone you reached out to, don't give up! Use up all of your resources and hopefully someone will help you out. 

So I contacted our State Representative today and she took on our case. We had to fill out a Privacy Release form (via email) and send in whatever documents that pertained to our case (ie. Form 221g). She forwarded our documents to the Immigration Bureau. I don't know if it's the Montreal Consulate or an entirely new branch that handles internal issues. I suspect it may take up to a week or so to hear back from either one, but here's hoping...I don't think it hurts to contact your Representative earlier than 60 days if your CO's estimate time was much less. We explained in the email that our CO's ETA was 2-3 weeks and it's now reaching 8 weeks. Hope this helps.

9 minutes ago, CAN_PA said:

So I contacted our State Representative today and she took on our case. We had to fill out a Privacy Release form (via email) and send in whatever documents that pertained to our case (ie. Form 221g). She forwarded our documents to the Immigration Bureau. I don't know if it's the Montreal Consulate or an entirely new branch that handles internal issues. I suspect it may take up to a week or so to hear back from either one, but here's hoping...I don't think it hurts to contact your Representative earlier than 60 days if your CO's estimate time was much less. We explained in the email that our CO's ETA was 2-3 weeks and it's now reaching 8 weeks. Hope this helps.

I also did the same yesterday. Let's see if that moves anything along. We are on day 50 now. 

Timeline
Just now, Sharma Ali said:

According to their website, it says AP should be resolved within 60 days. That’s where the number is coming from. 

Do you have a link to that page?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, US2197 said:

I also did the same yesterday. Let's see if that moves anything along. We are on day 50 now. 

The CO never gave me any time frame. The form letter that they handed me, however, had "please allow 6-8 weeks". Well that has passed, of course. I emailed at end of December, and they responded with the usual non-informative form email.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, US2197 said:

I'm hitting 60 days on Monday. Keep us posted. I'm also curious how long the response/issuance time will take.

Timeline
1 hour ago, CAN_PA said:

Hopefully she can move things along for you. My congressman’s office did take my case and we got this reply back on December 20,

According to our records, the consular officer processing the case requested that the applicant provide a medical report from our panel physician, as this document was missing at the time of the interview. We confirm receipt of the medical report. The case will be reviewed by the consular officer and the Visa Unit will advise your constituent and the applicant of the next steps if anything else is needed to complete processing the case.
While we cannot predict when the processing of the visa will be completed, please be assured that the Consulate and the Department of State are aware of your constituent's concerns and will contact them as soon as the processing is complete.
We hope that this information is helpful in replying to your constituent's inquiry. Sincerely,
 Consular Correspondence Unit (LMR)

My case was updated on December 30 but still shows refused. I honestly thought the inquiry would move things along much quicker. What a disappointment. Hoping you have better luck. I am at a loss of what to do next. I am at 64 days!

Timeline
2 hours ago, Tony Nikolovski said:

Yes, I saw the same video––it's what got me to think about this idea. The thing is, my interview was only 26 days ago. Do you think that I should still send this kind of email this early in? You mentioned around the 60-90 day mark. Do you think that I would have any merit sending it 26 days in?

I suggest you should wait for the 45 day mark, then contact your senator/ congressperson for their endorsement.  Wait another 45-60 days and if there is no movement, send an email saying you intend to file a WOM. Wait another 30 days or so to actually file it.

I wouldn’t go with WOM straight away…

Timeline

2 hours ago, Tony Nikolovski said:

Perhaps not. However, do you think that they would be moved by the fact that my 2-year wedding anniversary is 23 days away and my CR-1 status changing to an IR-1? This would mean that I wouldn't have to pay to lift conditions of the CR-1 and automatically be eligible for a 10-year GC as opposed to a 3-year (I think its 3).

No, IR1/CR1 was treated the same at consulate level.

Timeline
1 hour ago, CAN_PA said:

I am very glad you contacted your state representative. Hope it can help move your case along.

Timeline
1 hour ago, ice-qube said:

The CO never gave me any time frame.

I have been thinking about this. Several people who were issued DS-5535, especially those that interviewed in late November and early December, reported the CO told them this was nothing to worry about. It was not uncommon to be issued, and should be resolved in a few weeks.

I suspect that this was something the consulate has trained COs to say after experiencing some people losing their cool when issued a DS-5535. I think they tell you that to keep you calm until you leave the building, because they know once you leave you can’t contact or bother them….

If this is true, it is really cruel.

22 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

I have been thinking about this. Several people who were issued DS-5535, especially those that interviewed in late November and early December, reported the CO told them this was nothing to worry about. It was not uncommon to be issued, and should be resolved in a few weeks.

I suspect that this was something the consulate has trained COs to say after experiencing some people losing their cool when issued a DS-5535. I think they tell you that to keep you calm until you leave the building, because they know once you leave you can’t contact or bother them….

If this is true, it is really cruel.

@From_CAN_2_US this was the case with us. 

Edited by Sharma Ali

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Exact same language used with me.  I was told this should all be resolved in a couple of weeks.  We will be reaching out to our reps in another week or two.  

Timeline
1 hour ago, Redie said:

Hopefully she can move things along for you. My congressman’s office did take my case and we got this reply back on December 20,

According to our records, the consular officer processing the case requested that the applicant provide a medical report from our panel physician, as this document was missing at the time of the interview. We confirm receipt of the medical report. The case will be reviewed by the consular officer and the Visa Unit will advise your constituent and the applicant of the next steps if anything else is needed to complete processing the case.
While we cannot predict when the processing of the visa will be completed, please be assured that the Consulate and the Department of State are aware of your constituent's concerns and will contact them as soon as the processing is complete.
We hope that this information is helpful in replying to your constituent's inquiry. Sincerely,
 Consular Correspondence Unit (LMR)

My case was updated on December 30 but still shows refused. I honestly thought the inquiry would move things along much quicker. What a disappointment. Hoping you have better luck. I am at a loss of what to do next. I am at 64 days!

Thanks! Well it's at least now at their attention. Luckily they haven't sent for more documents which is good. And you've been updated (again!). I don't think there's anything left for us to do once we've sent a letter to our Reps. I can definitely understand how these replies can make us all want to light our hairs on fire. How many days did you have to wait until you received a reply from LMR?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.