Whodey

Marriage License

6 posts in this topic

I just called the local Marriage License Agency and they said they would need an US issued photo ID in order to issue a Marriage License. Obviously all of her IDs are from her Country at this point. We're getting married 2 weeks after she arrives, so now I'm a little worried about being able to get a Marriage License before the Wedding. What is the quickest way to get an US issued photo ID? I believe they also said her passport could work, but it would need to be translated into English. That may be the easiest and quickest route to go, but I'm not sure where to have her Passport translated by a Certified professional. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Personally, I would book a flight to Las Vegas and contact @Loren Y , who will perform the marriage free for VJ members.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

~ Moved from K1 Forum to Moving to the US and Your New Life in America where marriage licenses are discussed ~

Her passport doesn’t have dual English and native language? 

Getting a state issued ID won’t be quick at all and some states won’t issue her any if she doesn’t have at least a EAD or a GC. 

Try another city/town hall. We called around, one was booked for a few months, so we just booked with another town over and were issued a marriage license very quickly. Different places have different requirements, some are flexible with document and others not. 

Edited by powerpuff

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
20 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Different places have different requirements, some are flexible with document and others not. 

Especially when it comes to marrying foreigners.  Some places seem to have very little experience with that and get hung up when the foreigner can't present a U.S. ID, birth certificate, and SSN.  Luckily you can shop around and pick a place that will accommodate you.  I just wish we could also pick and chose between USCIS centers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Try a different county in Cincinnati or cross over the line and marry in  Kentucky

How many counties are in Cincinnati Ohio?

The Cincinnati-Middleton Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) comprises fifteen counties in three states, including five counties in Ohio, seven counties in Kentucky, and three counties in Indiana.Aug 11, 2007

and not sure who told u it had to be US as the Hamilton country says:
To be eligible to receive a marriage license in Cincinnati, Ohio, both applicants should be at least 18 years of age and single. Both applicants need to present a valid form of photo I.D. such as a driver’s license at the Hamilton County Probate Court

so  a valid passport with photo works
Edited by JeanneAdil

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
21 hours ago, Whodey said:

I just called the local Marriage License Agency and they said they would need an US issued photo ID in order to issue a Marriage License. Obviously all of her IDs are from her Country at this point. We're getting married 2 weeks after she arrives, so now I'm a little worried about being able to get a Marriage License before the Wedding. What is the quickest way to get an US issued photo ID? I believe they also said her passport could work, but it would need to be translated into English. That may be the easiest and quickest route to go, but I'm not sure where to have her Passport translated by a Certified professional. 

I am certified to marry people in Ohio also. too bad she wasn't here already as I will be in Ohio this weekend doing a K1 wedding ceremony, and could easily drive down to Cincinnati, and do another ceremony. As @Crazy Cat has said, if you want to fly to Vegas, I can get it done here also in under an hour with no issues. My friend had no issues getting his marriage license in Mahoning county, Ohio. Near Youngstown,OH where I'll be going. He had to do it via zoom, and uploading most things online, then he was able to go inside and pick up the license itself. Every county is a little different in Ohio, and I think there are 77 of them or some outrageous amount. If you need help with the Vegas thing, or I can come to you when you get the license, let me know.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.