Henia

And speaking of jealousy....

308 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
And speaking of jealousy....have you experienced any jealousy from your SO's fellow countrymen or women? LOL!

I do my best not to comment alot on the boards anymore. The biggest reason is that you may be very wrong. I have seen younger women end up dumped after men got their papers and older women keep their husbands so its really really case by case. Certain countries are HIGHLY LIKELY to have greencard players and I will not say which ones. Lets just put it this way, the best thing is to be yourself and not try to appease or please people because it just does not work. The other thing you need to remember is that some of these countries have lost so many men to the west and there are women sitting around unable to find husbands and its just stress ful for the women. The women feel isolated and abandoned. I just think independently and do my own thing even when I am there and just kind of ignore every one. I also keep my american ness because if you try to mimic them you end up looking desperate and stupid. I have been to Algeria 3 times and been around them pretty much non stop since 2001 and from what i have seen, the best thing to do is keep your identity, do not try to pal up to them and let them learn to like you. Be a part of things with arabs but dont copy them. they are very spiteful and you just have to deal with that. You are taking their man ( even if he is just using you for papers its stilla 5 year loss) and they have issues with it. It aint really jealousy,its resentment and hate. Dont minimise it. I just do my own thing and stay away from the conversations and just dont try to make them happy. I like to see stuff and action action and just kind of ignore people. My husbands cousin waged war against me calling me fat and all this ####### and she isnt barbie

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hmmm...This is a good one.

When I would go visit my husband in Aberdeen, I got many, many strange looks. I did not think we looked all that different together, but apparently, they did. Particularly the women, they did not know I was American. The men were all very kind to me in contrast.

When my husband explained it to me... I just did look like one of the "cookie cutter Aberdeen women". I am not pasty white, with mousy colored ironed straight hair, nor do I have a round middle and a wide caboose. I am small and quite dark-according to them- 4' 10". 100lbs. My skin is olive, and my hair is black. I am of Sicilian origins, and right proud of it.

This did not bother me at first, but after the first few visits it began to get under my skin. Then the ethnic slurs happened on my last visit. The worst was being called a "sand n-----" on my way out of a crowded ladies room in a restaurant. The Sicilian in me wanted to give them something to whine about, but the Buddhist in me won out.

I simply realized the ugliness they behaved with was simply ignorance, and being so undeveloped from never stepping out of their town. I prayed for them to open their eyes and realize the world is comprised of different people...

I love my husband's family, but it truly soured me on wanting future visits due to the ignorance of some of the folks in his former city.

Rose

"I have spread my dreams under your feet

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

-Yeats

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
And speaking of jealousy....have you experienced any jealousy from your SO's fellow countrymen or women? LOL!

I do my best not to comment alot on the boards anymore. The biggest reason is that you may be very wrong. I have seen younger women end up dumped after men got their papers and older women keep their husbands so its really really case by case. Certain countries are HIGHLY LIKELY to have greencard players and I will not say which ones. Lets just put it this way, the best thing is to be yourself and not try to appease or please people because it just does not work. The other thing you need to remember is that some of these countries have lost so many men to the west and there are women sitting around unable to find husbands and its just stress ful for the women. The women feel isolated and abandoned. I just think independently and do my own thing even when I am there and just kind of ignore every one. I also keep my american ness because if you try to mimic them you end up looking desperate and stupid. I have been to Algeria 3 times and been around them pretty much non stop since 2001 and from what i have seen, the best thing to do is keep your identity, do not try to pal up to them and let them learn to like you. Be a part of things with arabs but dont copy them. they are very spiteful and you just have to deal with that. You are taking their man ( even if he is just using you for papers its stilla 5 year loss) and they have issues with it. It aint really jealousy,its resentment and hate. Dont minimise it. I just do my own thing and stay away from the conversations and just dont try to make them happy. I like to see stuff and action action and just kind of ignore people. My husbands cousin waged war against me calling me fat and all this ####### and she isnt barbie

You put that so eqolently Wahrania. You are absolutely right. I agree completely.

You put that so eqolently Wahrania. You are absolutely right. I agree completely.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

First time I went to Jordan, I hated to be outside at times. Everyone would always stare at me and the men tried hard to pick me up. Some women gave me dirty looks, others just stared. It got very aggravating.

Andrea Infante

I130

Married August 30, 2005 in Amman Jordan (Zarqa)

Filed I130 September 19

Noa1 receipt September 29 File sent from Nebraska to California branch.

I130 under review/investigation.

I129F (K3)

Sent 129F on 10/19/05 to Chicago.

Received Noa1 11/3/05 from Missouri

Received Noa2and Approved I129F.

National Visa letter saying file moved to Amman. Was completed and sent on 12/16/05.

Received packet from embassy at my attorney's January 15, 2006

Packet mailed to my husband on January 22, 2006

Packet received by embassy on February 5, 2006.

Embassy called in April and set the interview date for August 23, 2006

Embassy called on 7-25 and asked Faisal to interview on 7-26 (nervous wreck but prepared)

7-26-06 Faisal is approved for K3 Visa

8-24-06, Faisal arrives at O'Hare Airport!!!!!!!

EAD filed in middle of September, 2006 approved in middle of October, 2006 and husband working

at end of October, 2006!

AOS I485

5-2-07- Noa1 on AOS

5-18-07-fingerprinting completed

5-25-07-letter received from USCIS from Missouri asking for proof of income from cosponsor.

AOS INTERVIEW SET FOR SEPTEMBER 5, 2007 IN CHICAGO

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

This last time in Egypt I got a TON of really hateful looks in Alex.

I'm starting to really believe about that "evil eye" thing. :unsure:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

When I went to Jordan there was a lot of people starting at me as well. I didn't really take it as jealousy because I guess I'm just used to it. For example, when I'm with my aunts at the mall and a really pretty girl walks by they just stare at her. However they always compliment how pretty she is and what nice figure she has, etc. Its not uncommon for arabic women do that, at least not in my experiance. So the next time you see an arabic woman looking at you she may actually be complimenting you to the person next to her.

I'm there there are some that don't because there are b!tches in every country, LOL. :lol: I also got a lot of stares from men. But I think it was more so because they knew I was a foreigner and most of us would probebly stand out in a crowd.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

We went to Dearborn yesterday and I got more stares at the Arabic women there than I did both times I was in Egypt. Not jealousy type stares just checking me out type stares. The only time I experienced "jealousy" in Egypt was by Moh's uncle's wife. I didn't see it as jealousy but Moh did. Other than that the women were very kind to me and were very complimentary.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I didn't really notice anything like this when I was in Morocco, although I have to admit that I'm usually not very observant when it comes to that type of thing. I couldn't help but notice though the attention from the little girls in the neighborhood. When Wadi and I left the house, sometimes they would gather to look at us go by. But I don't know if they were interested in me, or if they had crushes on Wadi! :lol:

I think that people assumed I was Italian, since we always spoke in Italian, though I don't know if that would have made a difference or not.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Wow. I never experienced anything negative in Jordan or Palestine -- of course I got some curious stares because I am a foreigner (mostly from children, not grown-ups) but nothing resembling jealousy or haterism. Women were very very kind to me, and men were well-behaved.

Sorry to hear that some of you had unpleasant experiences.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Other Timeline

I can't believe someone saying Arab women are spiteful, resentful, and hateful is being touted as "eloquent."

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

the long lost pillar: belief in angels

she may be fat but she's not 50

found by the crass patrol

"poisoned by a jew" sounds like a Borat song

If you bring up the truth, you're a PSYCHOPATH, life lesson #442.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Nope, never got the evil eye or any stares, but most people didn't know I was american until I opened my mouth.

My brother on the other hand, hooo boy. He was 16 when my family went to egypt, tall, gauky, gangly, and very very blond. He attracted a gaggle of giggling school girls in my husband's home town that followed him for ages.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I can't believe someone saying Arab women are spiteful, resentful, and hateful is being touted as "eloquent."

would it have been better if they'd said american women? :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Peezy, henia actually LIVES in Algeria and I have spent an inordinate amount of time there. She has had direct experiences that reflect her question and if you read the posts many of the other Americans have faced uncalled for maliciousness that can only be attributed to jealousy. Unlike American culture, where women can easily be single, its a heartbreaking and isolating experience for Arabs. You more than anyone should know that married to a Moroccan.If you have never faced it, then something is very wrong. Most white marriages called MARRIAGE BLANCHE do not face bouts of jealousy because there is an understanding between the people that know the arab and his family that this is for a set period time. Everyone plays the game and henna parties and all that #######. Henia is pregnant by her Algerian husband and it is a real marriage . She has faced attacks by members of her husbands family in the form of messing up her wedding.. saying nasty things etc. If the marriage is a real one, the likliness of cattiness by women both in the family and neighbors increases because the American or western woman is not just being used for papers . she is taking their man. My comment to everyone was to look for people that like you ignore the ones who do not and do not cater to them or try to appease them. Jealousy and man stealing and all this nonsense like SEHOUR and magic is very common in North Africa due to the powerless these women feel. To minimise the fact that they are very spiteful is to leave an American who marries into this very vulernable. The worst thing you can do with women like this and in the other posts is to try to mimic them and fit in. The American or western woman is much better just doing her thing... perhaps connecting with the reigion but not losing their identity in the process. This is especially important due to the high amounts of marrriage fraud within these marriages ,leaving the isolated american alone and scared ,having lost touch with her american friends ( seen this time and time again...5 years in isolation and boom... shes divorced. All I can say is NOT ALL WOMEN ARE LIKE THIS IN THE ARAB WORLD. But read the comments Peazy. Woman after woman posting is reporting experiences with this and the more real the marriage, the more threatened women become , ESPECIALLY IF THE MAN IS GOOD LOOKING AND DESIRABLE TO WOMEN FROM HIS FAMILY AND NEIGHBORHOOD. The bigger the loss to the local woman, the more nasty and threatening they become. I personally have only had conflicts with one cousin and the way I dealt with it was not to react even though she truly did horrific things. I am sure Henia can elaborate. Henia tell them the makeup story from the wedding. I have my own funny story with dresses and my shydda. Its real and it happens and like I told you, if the marriage is just a greencard, many will not threaten your marriage. When there is real marriage and babies involved, all kinds of things hit the fan. The threat is very real and emotionally it is very hard for the western woman AND the man...although some of the men I have seen like all the drama. GO FIGURE.

Wow. I never experienced anything negative in Jordan or Palestine -- of course I got some curious stares because I am a foreigner (mostly from children, not grown-ups) but nothing resembling jealousy or haterism. Women were very very kind to me, and men were well-behaved.

Sorry to hear that some of you had unpleasant experiences.

She doesnt live in Jordan. She lives in Algeria and its a completely difffernt culture

This last time in Egypt I got a TON of really hateful looks in Alex.

I'm starting to really believe about that "evil eye" thing. :unsure:

Thats cause your marriage is a REAL ONE. the more real the marriage the more the jealousy.

YOU ARE ACTUALLY LIVING IN ALGERIA and dealing with this junk every day. Hell yeah what you are going through is real. You really need to maintain your sense of self go do fun things. watch american movies and retain who you are. better a true you that a bad copy. Ill be in Tunis on Sunday

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.