DaveOz

CR-1 Proof Of Legitimate Relationship

26 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, DaveOz said:

12 hour a day phone calls for 9 months straight, by the time I fly out it will be 13 months straight.

Trust me we know each other.

Right.  But rushing over to marry someone you've never met may well raise the type of red flags you're looking to avoid.

No part of this process is fast easy, or cheap.

12 hours ago, DaveOz said:

12 hour a day phone calls for 9 months straight, by the time I fly out it will be 13 months straight.

Trust me we know each other.

Getting married in the States to someone you've met online is a big red flag and when they discover your intentions at PoE they won't be too impressed.

Even though you're from a low fraud country, I would take your time. Visit two or three times, or have your partner visit you in Australia. No need to rush things. Chatting on the phone everyday is very different to living together and having to figure out chores, meals, and work commitments. 

Edited by Kor2USA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
9 hours ago, Kor2USA said:

Getting married in the States to someone you've met online is a big red flag and when they discover your intentions at PoE they won't be too impressed.

Even though you're from a low fraud country, I would take your time. Visit two or three times, or have your partner visit you in Australia. No need to rush things. Chatting on the phone everyday is very different to living together and having to figure out chores, meals, and work commitments. 

I respectfully disagree with this almost completely. There is no guidance or instructions from USCIS/CBP/DHS on how you meet, how you interact, or how long you know each other, or where you are getting married. Almost everyone meets online nowadays. The only requirement is that you have 'consummated the marriage' i.e. that you have been together during or shortly after the wedding. Everything else on what is a 'normal' way to get married is based on cultural perceptions, anecdotal stories, and personal preference and 'experience from being on this forum' which is highly non-representative sampling of immigration cases. Many people that go through the CR1 visa process have never lived together, figured out chores, meals etc. It is very speculative that USCIS would consider this a red flag.

OP is in the best position to decide if they want to take their time and when they are ready to tie the knot. Remember, the slower you go the longer it will take until you will be actually living together.

In my case (and this is also anecdotal but I'm just mentioning this as an example), we did not supply any information on how we met or how long we had been dating. The fact that we got married in a proper wedding ceremony was sufficient. What was more important was what you do after you get married, that you spend time together, that you interact as a genuinely married couple.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Wouter said:

I respectfully disagree with this almost completely. There is no guidance or instructions from USCIS/CBP/DHS on how you meet, how you interact, or how long you know each other, or where you are getting married. Almost everyone meets online nowadays. The only requirement is that you have 'consummated the marriage' i.e. that you have been together during or shortly after the wedding. Everything else on what is a 'normal' way to get married is based on cultural perceptions, anecdotal stories, and personal preference and 'experience from being on this forum' which is highly non-representative sampling of immigration cases. Many people that go through the CR1 visa process have never lived together, figured out chores, meals etc. It is very speculative that USCIS would consider this a red flag.

OP is in the best position to decide if they want to take their time and when they are ready to tie the knot. Remember, the slower you go the longer it will take until you will be actually living together.

In my case (and this is also anecdotal but I'm just mentioning this as an example), we did not supply any information on how we met or how long we had been dating. The fact that we got married in a proper wedding ceremony was sufficient. What was more important was what you do after you get married, that you spend time together, that you interact as a genuinely married couple.

Thank you kindly.

I think the red flag he was referring to was "Change Of Status" of someone getting married on a tourist visa.

If they can prove you entered on a tourist visa with the intention of marrying a US citizen then they will try and charge you with fraud.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, DaveOz said:

Thank you kindly.

I think the red flag he was referring to was "Change Of Status" of someone getting married on a tourist visa.

If they can prove you entered on a tourist visa with the intention of marrying a US citizen then they will try and charge you with fraud.

It is not fraud to enter on a tourist visa and then get married, if you then leave back to your home country to go through the CR1 visa process.

What would be fraud is entering on a tourist visa with the intention to get married and then staying in the US to adjust status.

Timeline
51 minutes ago, Wouter said:

It is not fraud to enter on a tourist visa and then get married, if you then leave back to your home country to go through the CR1 visa process.

What would be fraud is entering on a tourist visa with the intention to get married and then staying in the US to adjust status.

Yes exactly, that's what I was getting at.

Getting married and then not leaving to start the process from outside the country.

8 hours ago, Wouter said:

7 hours ago, DaveOz said:

Thank you kindly.

Yep.  I'm talking about entering the States for the first time and when asked about the nature of your visit you reply:   you are getting married to someone you met online (and have never met in person). It might result in not being allowed to enter the States (as they'll believe you intend to adjust status). - Maybe Australians and Russians aren't questioned as closely when they enter the US, but I was. 

And you're correct @Wouter- I shouldn't judge the relationships of others or state there is only one way to go through this process. Living together and figuring out chores aren't necessary BUT I believe meeting someone and actually spending a good deal of time in their presence is essential. Hopefully @DaveOz is able to spend at least a month with his intended when he visits the States. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I used lots of Photos, wedding invitations, receipts to wedding deposits, itineraries, boarding passes, copies of love letters, affidavit statements from supportive family members.

And ours was accepted.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 10/25/2021 at 11:49 AM, Kor2USA said:

If you( the beneficiary visit the States. You'll be able to get yourself added to some credit cards, bank accounts and maybe become the beneficiary of life insurance plans- you don't need a SSN, all you'll need is your passport. If the institution is permissive you might also be able to add yourself as a beneficiary to an investment account. Have the USC investigate options before you visit the States so you can easily add yourself to accounts after the wedding. 

My K1 fiancée now wife (as of last month) from the U.K. sat with me at the bank and they flat out told her until she gets a SSN she cannot and will not be part of a joint bank account (or credit card).  My credit union said the same.  And we are MARRIED.  
If you got the name of a bank that says otherwise do feel free to post it. 

Edited by PBoland

4 minutes ago, PBoland said:

My K1 fiancée now wife (as of last month) from the U.K. sat with me at the bank and they flat out told her until she gets a SSN she cannot and will not be part of a joint bank account (or credit card).  My credit union said the same.  And we are MARRIED.  
If you got the name of a bank that says otherwise do feel free to post it. 

Bank of America- we opened an account with my passport and no marriage certificate. The account is in my husband's name and I am an authorized user with my own ATM card. 

Edited by Kor2USA

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there! 
We got approved on our I-130 on our first submission - we had been long distance at that point for 3 years and had visited each other 4 times, getting married in the US on the fourth trip. 
The only real evidence we submitted was photos together (polaroids and photobooths with locations written on them) as well as some with my partners friends and family. We didn't have any bills or anything together either as we lived separately. I did prepare any monetary transactions, phone bills showing calls, train & plane tickets but our lawyer didn't get us to submit them - just holding on to them for if we need them at interview.  
Try not too stress out about it and enjoy your time together and remember to take plenty of photos!! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.